MIG-29 OVT - My favourite jet fighter. What's yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
WolfR1der said:
I'm almost certain I saw a Eurofighter last week while away on a ship. We were standing on deck when there was a massive roar and looked over the side to see (what i'm almost certain from the wing shape was) a Typhoon climbing away and waggling it's wings. Not sure what it was doing so far from land buzzing tall ships though :D
I've seen many fighters practising over the North Sea, I guess they dont have to worry about the noise or dropping flares on civilians.

Soldato
Aurora.. no wait you mean it has to stand and fight - then I'm split between the A10 and the Harrier.

The A10 has always captured my imagination - so someone decided to put wings on a howitzer only to find there's not enough ammo .. so make it a multibarrel one instead. Ammo the size of milkbottles and a barrel length taking up a large length of the body..

The harrier because it looks like a fresh fledgling starling sat all puffed up and with stubby wings. Well how can forget a plane that is just engine and fuel tanks... and be very good at what it does.

Arc

Arc

Associate
Has to be the SU-37 for me.

su37_03.jpg

Thrust vectoring, got to love the cobra ;).

The SU-47 (was called the S37) does have a certain something about it to, rather radical use of composite materials but it'll never see active service by the looks of things.

Soldato
Overlag said:
huh? :confused:

Its engine was a British design, given to the russians... The engine was called the Klimov VK-1.

Other than that its a 100% soviet plane.... and you could argue even the engines was Soviet... seeing we GAVE them the tech (instead of them stealing it for once)

Sold under a pre war licensing agreement, thats what i was getting at really. It was powered by a British RR Nene engine, built in Soviet factories. The airframe was certainly inspired by late war German designs however, and wouldn't have been possible without German research into swept wings. It couldn't really be called a 100% homegrown design.....

Associate
It used to be F16. But after seeing the F16 and the F18 - Super Hornet flying 15 minutes apart at shows like Farnborough and Air Tatoo I have now decided the Super Hornet is my favourite!

OMG the noise and the moves it makes! :eek:

I have not yet seen the insane MIGS in live action, I guess I could reconsider if I saw them as rumour has it the newer MIGS are simply insane/unreal when it comes to maneuverability :)

And I second Concorde Rules. Concorde is the greatest plane ever built!
The noise from the Great 'C' is on par with the B1 Bomber :)

Soldato
Stolly said:
Sold under a pre war licensing agreement, thats what i was getting at really. It was powered by a British RR Nene engine, built in Soviet factories. The airframe was certainly inspired by late war German designs however, and wouldn't have been possible without German research into swept wings. It couldn't really be called a 100% homegrown design.....

I dont think any aircraft, bar the very first, could ever be called a 100% homegrown design...they all build upon past research.

Last edited:
Soldato
I generally say that my favorite is the A-10 Thunderbolt (Warthog, Tankbuster) just because I REALLY like big guns and things that go "BOOM", but since I'm in a group that understand planes do exist in other countries than the US, I'll test your mental metal and see if you can ever guess what my actual all time favorite is from just an image.....

55.jpg

18.jpg

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I dont really have a favorite but I am a huge fan of the more recent jet fighters rather than the 'start of the era' fighters.

The F-14 is an awesome aircraft and I think it is a real shame it is being decommisioned. In fact the last F-14 take off from a carrier happened not too long ago.

The F-16 just screams speed to me. I think it was one of the first jet aircraft that really got me into military planes.

The F-15 is near the top of my list simply because it was THE plane that went head to head with Russia. I think it has unforgiving written all over it and having talked to several F-15 pilots I think it would be amazing to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom