Milkyway@home - August update

Soldato
Just something I've noticed: if you're using optimised apps then your app_info file won't have the data necessary for downloading and running the new nbody simulations. If you want to run these new WUs you'll need to add the information manually, which I've written below. (Both assume a Windows OS; other OSs are covered on the MW@h boards.)

32-bit
Code:
<app>
<name>milkyway_nbody</name>
<user_friendly_name>MilkyWay@Home nbody Simulation</user_friendly_name>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>milkyway_nbody_0.03_windows_intelx86.exe</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<app_version>
<app_name>milkyway_nbody</app_name>
<version_num>3</version_num>
<file_ref>
<file_name>milkyway_nbody_0.03_windows_intelx86.exe</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
<platform>windows_intelx86</platform>
</app_version>

64-bit
Code:
<app>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>milkyway_nbody_0.03_windows_x86_64.exe</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<app_version>
<file_ref>
<file_name>milkyway_nbody_0.03_windows_x86_64.exe</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
</app_version>

These are CPU-only at the moment. Also, I don't think the 64-bit app actually runs in 64-bit mode yet.

For some reason BOINC couldn't find the download URL for the apps, so I had to do that manually as well. If this is the case for you, the required app can be downloaded from here; scroll down to the bottom of the page, download the appropriate nbody executable and place it in the Data\projects\milkyway.cs.rpi.edu_milkyway directory.

Last edited:
Associate
Normal MW service has been resumed, after nbody strangeness.
Muke1428 has already been nuked so I'm in the top ten :cool:, Mr Halz you're next, parp parp.

cpartcert1.php

Soldato
Just something I've noticed: if you're using optimised apps then your app_info file won't have the data necessary for downloading and running the new nbody simulations. If you want to run these new WUs you'll need to add the information manually, which I've written below. (Both assume a Windows OS; other OSs are covered on the MW@h boards.)

32-bit
Code:
<app>
<user_friendly_name>MilkyWay@Home nbody Simulation</user_friendly_name>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>milkyway_nbody_0.03_windows_intelx86.exe</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<app_version>
<file_ref>
<file_name>milkyway_nbody_0.03_windows_intelx86.exe</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
<platform>windows_intelx86</platform>
</app_version>
64-bit
Code:
<app>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>milkyway_nbody_0.03_windows_x86_64.exe</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<app_version>
<file_ref>
<file_name>milkyway_nbody_0.03_windows_x86_64.exe</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
</app_version>
These are CPU-only at the moment. Also, I don't think the 64-bit app actually runs in 64-bit mode yet.

For some reason BOINC couldn't find the download URL for the apps, so I had to do that manually as well. If this is the case for you, the required app can be downloaded from here; scroll down to the bottom of the page, download the appropriate nbody executable and place it in the Data\projects\milkyway.cs.rpi.edu_milkyway directory.

Good spot s'ah
I just have MW to 'set and forget' so I was completely unaware of this - will give it a go this weekend...

Associate
Troubles

How quickly it can all go wrong, one of my 4850x2's went pop after 5 mins on DNETC during a MW outage (clocked at stock,beware) taking my monitors dvi port with it(vga only now):mad:
But 5970 arrived today and is up and running:D just as MW site goes down:rolleyes:

All ATI projects now down!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How quickly it can all go wrong, one of my 4850x2's went pop after 5 mins on DNETC during a MW outage (clocked at stock,beware) taking my monitors dvi port with it(vga only now):mad:
But 5970 arrived today and is up and running:D just as MW site goes down:rolleyes:

All ATI projects now down!

Hope everything is all ok now mate, let us know how you get on with the HD5970 :)

Associate
It WAS all good with the 5970 running MW WU in about 1.48 mins until i had the bright idea of trying the 4850x2 in the same system, all WU error out. Taken the 4850x2 out but WUs still error out:rolleyes:
Re-installing now.
Got another 5970 coming this week along with two accelero coolers ,so you may have found yourself a cheap X2 Mr halz.

BTW my email address is now updated.

Associate
Not quite ,been looking for two of these for a while now, following a couple of rip-off ebay items all is now good and my pockets (much) lighter:D

Soldato
OP
It WAS all good with the 5970 running MW WU in about 1.48 mins until i had the bright idea of trying the 4850x2 in the same system, all WU error out. Taken the 4850x2 out but WUs still error out:rolleyes:
Re-installing now.
Got another 5970 coming this week along with two accelero coolers ,so you may have found yourself a cheap X2 Mr halz.

BTW my email address is now updated.

Interesting but will a 4850x2 and a 4870x2 live happily together in the same case because I have commited myself to a 4870x2 already.

Associate
Not sure if they would, problem is 4850X2 is sapphire only and so sapphires drivers not ati.

Problem is iv'e run out of pcie slots, already got 7 gpus running seti (3x 8800gts 512 ,2x gts 250 a gtx260 216 and a 8800gt) and by the end of the week two 5970's and a 4770 running MW.
I dont want to increase the number of machines its getting toasty:eek:

Maybe i could snag another K9A2 platinum and sell off an intel machine keeping the 4850X2 not sure yet:confused:

Back
Top Bottom