Milkyway@home - July update

Soldato
The link is on the MW forums, one of the stickys at the top of the number crunching forum and the preferences can be done via your account on the web site for each project Toxic. You can check your settings by just kicking off a request for work and the priorities will update straight away. Im not sure about not crunching seti on the cpu and milkyway only the cpu, Id imagine that it would be the dreaded app_info again or another xml file. Id be interested in finding out a way to do this as I have been thinking along the same lines myself, want to support Mr Halz in his endeavours to get the MW team up and running :p

Soldato
Thanks for that Edge, i have the opt apps now. Going to make a large cuppa cha and get this milkyway thing on the road, as you say it's the least we can do to support the effort Mr Halz is putting in :)

Soldato
Id be interested to see how you get seti to do gpu only and no cpu...
I think a large cup of tea and a choccy digestive is the best place to start a technical quest from :p

Soldato
OP
Cyclo, that some amazing output you got there, going for 200k ?..........or more :D

And is it me or is there something wrong with this picture ? , taken at 02:40 :confused:

strange.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
Cyclo, that some amazing output you got there, going for 200k ?..........or more :D

And is it me or is there something wrong with this picture ? , taken at 02:40 :confused:

strange.gif

Well spotted that man..

I joined Einstein at home yesterday, I wanted to have 3 space related projects to choose from after last week - after seti and MW were both down at the same time, so felt I needed an additional backup. Was playing around with the link in my sig and added einstein, but it was picking up someone elses stats so I dropped it - there are several madmac's crunching Einstein it would seem.
I wouldn't mind knowing how the sig thing works and picks up the stats..

Still not sure what to do to help you best Mr Halz. I should (all things going well) get another fermi in next month which will leave me with 2 x pci-e slots left. One is reservered for whatever dual gpu solution nvidia bring out in the future, so that leaves one spare.
I could either try a 2nd hand 4870/4850 and risk driver hell with nvidia/ati in the same box - its messy, but people are doing it. That machine is on 24/7 and is my primary cruncher, so stability is important.
Other option is to take my 8800GT out of my home rig, put it in my fermi cruncher and stick an ati card into that. Whatever card I get will have to match the power draw of the 8800GT or it will be a no go solution as Im not ready to upgrade that rig until bulldozer comes out. Im guessing that a 3850 will be the likely candidate for similar power draw. This rig is only on at weekends, and some evenings, so the ppd won't be great, but it will help things a bit.
Choices, choices, can see me going down the fermi route, and then waiting for the MW3 fermi app as it will be the safest route...

Soldato
OP
after seti and MW were both down at the same time, so felt I needed an additional backup.

Thats how I felt as well, hopefully 3 will be enough :rolleyes:

Still not sure what to do to help you best Mr Halz.

Choices, choices, can see me going down the fermi route, and then waiting for the MW3 fermi app as it will be the safest route...

Whatever you are comfortable with at the end of the day.
I'm going to get rid off a couple of weak'ish nvidia gpu's and replace them with one powerful Radeon.
The Radeon 6xxx series arrive in the autumn and I think they will be shockingly fast :D so I may hold off for one of those.

Keep us upto date on the MW3 fermi app if you hear anything as this could complicate things regarding the 6xxx

Soldato
Will do - though don't hold your breath, the ati cards will stomp all over the nvidia offerings due to the way double precision is implemented by each manufacturer - a 4850 can outcrunch a 295 by a factor of 4 om MW :eek:

Soldato
OP
Was playing around with the link in my sig and added einstein, but it was picking up someone elses stats so I dropped it - there are several madmac's crunching Einstein it would seem.
I wouldn't mind knowing how the sig thing works and picks up the stats..

Been looking into this, you actually pickup a German geezer on Einstein :eek:, naughty boy :p here

The Team OcUK sig process also takes an ID number instead of your name.
Now it works with individual project ID's (I tried it), your SETI one is 79730, used your Einstein one and it found you.
Trouble is with our sig stats is you can only use one as far as I know.
Not sure about using the BOINC Cross Project Identifier, had a quick go and mine didnt work.

Maybe Berserker can find a solution to this one.

Just a thought, have you used the same email address to set up each account?

Soldato
Id be interested to see how you get seti to do gpu only and no cpu...
I think a large cup of tea and a choccy digestive is the best place to start a technical quest from :p

In your SETI@home preferences, make sure that 'Use CPU' is set to No (you'll need to be using BOINC version 6.10+ for this to be enforced), then update your client within BOINC Manager. After that, SETI should only send you work for your GPU(s). Likewise, if you only want CPU work for Milkyway make sure that the 'Use GPU' options are set to No and that CPU is set to Yes.

No app_info files were harmed in the making of this explanation :p

Soldato
Been looking into this, you actually pickup a German geezer on Einstein :eek:, naughty boy :p here

The Team OcUK sig process also takes an ID number instead of your name.
Now it works with individual project ID's (I tried it), your SETI one is 79730, used your Einstein one and it found you.
Trouble is with our sig stats is you can only use one as far as I know.
Not sure about using the BOINC Cross Project Identifier, had a quick go and mine didnt work.

Maybe Berserker can find a solution to this one.

Just a thought, have you used the same email address to set up each account?

Yes, same email. Its no biggy if it doesn't work..

In your SETI@home preferences, make sure that 'Use CPU' is set to No (you'll need to be using BOINC version 6.10+ for this to be enforced), then update your client within BOINC Manager. After that, SETI should only send you work for your GPU(s). Likewise, if you only want CPU work for Milkyway make sure that the 'Use GPU' options are set to No and that CPU is set to Yes.

No app_info files were harmed in the making of this explanation :p

LOL
Cheers TT, I knew you could turn off gpu, never noticed the cpu option :p

Back
Top Bottom