Mini-Rant: Posties...

Associate
Though I have been in on many a days where the postman has came and just carded I can't really see a problem with it. Most people have job's that work 9-5 everyday so its the postmans discression on if they knock or not. My sorting office is a 3 min walk away so I don't have a problem streatching my legs (open 9-6:30 weekdays :D ).
When living in nowich I still didn't have a problem push biking clear accross the city to pick up a parcel, gave me something to do.
However I do believe they should knock like the good old days and do there job properly and instead not strike over pay and further bugger up the mail system.

Sorry for the block of text

Associate
Our postie is utter, utter crap.

Everytime we see him on his rounds, he is chatting on his phone. Every day.
We regularly have post for the wrong houses.
He has left (read "dropped") parcels for us on other people's driveways by accident (they have fallen out of his bag).
Generally rude.

He also, I regret to inform you, is a social flip-flop wearer :(

Soldato
Though I have been in on many a days where the postman has came and just carded I can't really see a problem with it.My sorting office is a 3 min walk away so I don't have a problem streatching my legs (open 9-6:30 weekdays :D ).
When living in nowich I still didn't have a problem push biking clear accross the city to pick up a parcel, gave me something to do.

For some the sorting office isn't just a "3 min walk away" and other people don't require "something to do."

It's beyond belief that you would think that this is a good service they are giving you!

Man of Honour
Your mate is a thief.

Think it's fraud actually, but same sentiment. It's not compensation for anything as that would imply the courier paying - which they obviously didn't.

Yes, a postie is really going to add package to their 2kg of mail (letters alone, I might add) and then not bother to try and deliver it.

Makes no odds whether it's 2kg or 10kg - most of them use bikes and the post bag stays on the bike. Why wouldn't they bring it?

In a way, the strikers have a point - if you make postmen redundant to the point that they simply don't have time to knock on peoples' doors, then this sort of thing is the inevitable result. I remember the days of two deliveries a day, and that wasn't all that long ago - how things have gone downhill.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Happens regularly with us. Though credit, quite shockingly, has to go to him for the last delivery. Yesterday there was a knock on our door and a parcel. He gave it to me and I finally thought he'd turned a new leaf. But there was a van outside.

Caporegime
In a way, the strikers have a point - if you make postmen redundant to the point that they simply don't have time to knock on peoples' doors, then this sort of thing is the inevitable result.

my friend used to have a round he used to be done by like 11am most days and then do overtime.. i.e he'd rush his first round to get more money later...

the ONLY grievance i can see them having is FTE's being sacked off and PTE being employed to do their job..but i mean this is business not a charity. its not a skilled job, nor does it require great training...

its grunt work for anyone who can walk and read.

Associate
For some the sorting office isn't just a "3 min walk away" and other people don't require "something to do."

It's beyond belief that you would think that this is a good service they are giving you!

It is better than nothing though? What would happen if the royal mail didn't exist? Would people complain about the cost of sending parcels/letters via UPS or DPD?
Though saying that people complain about parcel delivery services all the time, I know I have done.
The royal mail definatly needs sorting out and everytime they try, the workers strike. Post will never be 100% perfect

Permabanned
Well I'm still waiting for a delivery of a blu-ray film that was despatched from the on-line store on Tuesday 29th. It was despatched RM 1st Class and it still hasn't arrived as of today, 8 days later!

Permabanned
It is better than nothing though? What would happen if the royal mail didn't exist? Would people complain about the cost of sending parcels/letters via UPS or DPD?
Though saying that people complain about parcel delivery services all the time, I know I have done.
The royal mail definatly needs sorting out and everytime they try, the workers strike. Post will never be 100% perfect
Why are people always trying to compare apples and pears?

It's a minor grievance of mine that, although it sounds pedantic, people on internet forums don't know the difference between parcels and packets. Your RM postman will bring you your packet whilst it's Parcelforce and the rest of the couriers that bring parcels, which have traditionally tended to be bigger.

Parcelforce and Royal Mail, even though they're part of the same company are essentially different firms.

Caporegime
Well I'm still waiting for a delivery of a blu-ray film that was despatched from the on-line store on Tuesday 29th. It was despatched RM 1st Class and it still hasn't arrived as of today, 8 days later!

i sent a cheque down to someone near londin it took 14 days.. cancelled the cheque on the friday... and it arrived the following monday seriously RM sort it out!

Man of Honour
It's a minor grievance of mine that, although it sounds pedantic, people on internet forums don't know the difference between parcels and packets. Your RM postman will bring you your packet whilst it's Parcelforce and the rest of the couriers that bring parcels, which have traditionally tended to be bigger.

You'd best take that grievance up with RM, because while there is a distinction, it's not as clear-cut as you think. RM have a parcels service that has nothing to do with Parcelforce, and couriers will deliver packets. In fact, couriers will collect and sort letters too (relying on RM only for the final sorting office to doorstep part).

i sent a cheque down to someone near londin it took 14 days.. cancelled the cheque on the friday... and it arrived the following monday seriously RM sort it out!

That's what you get for sporadic Postal strikes that no-one wants to deal with. Union say they don't agree with modernisation that they already agreed to, RM say they won't negotiate on modernisation, and the Government washed their hands of the whole thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom