Mini-Review: Samsung 40KU6400 as a monitor

Associate
Ok, I have found the issue I think. If I use the top 2 HDMI ports the colours look great but it is capped at 30HZ. If I use the bottom HDMI the colours are rubbish but I can have 60HZ. Think this is do do with a rubbish HDMI lead or a fault with the TV?

Soldato
Well its arrived. A few days quicker than expected too so thats a bonus.

I'm glad I didn't go any bigger. I was running a 2 monitor setup...No room on the desk now. Not that I need two monitors now.

Not had a play with any settings yet as it looks good out the box. I'll dig out my spyder later and calibrate.

Soldato
65 inch Panasonic 902b.. think this is the perfect led bar maybe Sony z9d.

Anyway this is phenomenal. Perfect uniformity, minimal banding, HDR and beautiful 4K upscaling.
Once I get my kef surround system here, it's game over. Need to find a good deal on a 1080 titan now.

Doubt I'll ever go back to a monitor except to play really old games like deus ex.

Soldato
Just picked up a Philips 43inch ambilight 4k tv from a high street catalog shop for £380 to use as a gaming monitor. So far im bloody impressed! I've set the resolution to 2560x1440p solely as i hate knocking settings down but still looks great.

Associate
How does it feel having a 40" after the 24"?

First 30min i was lost in space,literally :D
Then i set it up and tested few games - and oh boy,the difference!! Its not like i never saw 4K,but this TV for this price is really something.
I bought Acer x34 6 weeks ago,it broke after 3 weeks,monitor was very good,but even after i would choose this TV,it is so good.
Not looking back to overpriced monitors any time soon

Last edited:
Associate
First 30min i was lost in space,literally :D
Then i set it up and tested few games - and oh boy,the difference!! Its not like i never saw 4K,but this TV for this price is really something.
I bought Acer x34 6 weeks ago,it broke after 3 weeks,monitor was very good,but even after i would choose this TV,it is so good.
Not looking back to overpriced monitors any time soon

I've made the same journey and been astonished at just how good it is. I still can't quite get my head around how little it cost compared to a "proper" monitor.

Associate
I've made the same journey and been astonished at just how good it is. I still can't quite get my head around how little it cost compared to a "proper" monitor.

Oh yes,im not even looking back to pc monitors any time soon ;)

BTW - do yourself a favor and download these direct video captures of Forza 7 - you will be even more astonished,and that was one of the reasons i got this TV ;)
Here is links:
http://gamersyde.com/download_forza_motorsport_7_e3_hdr_gameplay_1_hdr_only_-40289_en.html
http://gamersyde.com/download_forza_motorsport_7_e3_hdr_gameplay_2_hdr_only_-40290_en.html

Incredible ;)

Associate
Hi Guys, great thread and been quite a read. I'm too interested in a 4k TV as a monitor and will game but mainly use for software dev and programming. I really want a bigger screen and a quality monitor replacement. The ku6400 looks great but I've seen a newer version, the mu6400. What are the differences? Also reading rtings they have the sony 83/85 ranges as great monitors. How do these compare to those. Any help will be great. Thanks

EDIT : Sorry guys, finally got to the page discussing the mu6400. Great info. thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is going to take some getting used to.
From a 27" 1440p to 40" 4k is an insane jump in screen real estate.

Titanfall 2 runs pretty decent at 4k as well surprisingly.

Associate
This is going to take some getting used to.
From a 27" 1440p to 40" 4k is an insane jump in screen real estate.

Titanfall 2 runs pretty decent at 4k as well surprisingly.

When you get used to it,then real enjoyment starts ;)
You will start noticing details in games you didnt noticed earlier
My "jump" was from 24" 1080p to this,so.."worse" :D

Soldato
Also tried standard 1440p and Ultrawide on this.
1440p looks surprisingly good, of course a little 'soft' compared to my old monitor but perfectly acceptable to me.
UW looks great, just set the scaling to your GPU for it to work correctly. Of course there are black bars but again this is perfectly acceptable to me.

Gamers need not look away, unless you are a serious competitive gamer I guess.

Soldato
My original ROG Swift 27" finally blew something as the picture just went out last night and left me with a weird bright smudge and mostly grey screen. That thing has had poor build and quality control since day one so I give up on it.

Thanks to this thread I went out to BestBuy and saw they were doing the Samsung 40" MU6300 for $550 so I bagged one and now have it setup. After playing with the settings I finally got it to UHD with RGB 4:4:4 and Full dynamic range.

I am highly impressed by the quality and not missing the 144hz at all while I marvel at sitting directly in front of this beast.

Associate
My original ROG Swift 27" finally blew something as the picture just went out last night and left me with a weird bright smudge and mostly grey screen. That thing has had poor build and quality control since day one so I give up on it.

Thanks to this thread I went out to BestBuy and saw they were doing the Samsung 40" MU6300 for $550 so I bagged one and now have it setup. After playing with the settings I finally got it to UHD with RGB 4:4:4 and Full dynamic range.

I am highly impressed by the quality and not missing the 144hz at all while I marvel at sitting directly in front of this beast.

How did you got it work at RGB 4:4:4 and Full Dynamic Range?
I can only choose RGB and full dynamic range,when i choose 4:4:4 i have only limited dynamic range which i cant change as its greyed out
Unless im missing something

Back
Top Bottom