Mini-Review: Samsung 40KU6400 as a monitor

Associate
Had this TV for just shy of 2 months now and I really like it. It's been mainly used for the PC and only occasional TV watching.

I have also seen the flickering blue lines near the bottom of the screen for a second or two. It usually happens not too long after turning on but will then go for hours without happening again. I'm not too worried about it at this stage but if it becomes more frequent, I will consider getting a replacement.

Anyway, I'm picking up a PS4 Pro tomorrow and so will likely be switching between that and the PC quite regularly. As the TV only has 1 (of 3 total) HDMI port that will allow selection of the 'HDMI UHD Colour' setting, ideally, I need a way to run and switch between both machines via the one HDMI port, preferably - though not essential - remotely, but definitely without losing any image quality.

Can I just be looking at any regular male to 2x female HDMI splitter or do I need to be looking at something more elaborate, so as not to have to compromise on image quality?

I decided to take the plunge and got myself a 6400 over the New Year.
I share the HDMI#1 input for my Pc and XB1s
I went for the Ligawo 3090063 HDR HDMI switch 3x1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/LIGAWO-3090063-HDMI-Switch-Black/dp/B01KXCO65E and some KabelDirekt HDMI 2.0a/b highspeed cables.
I'm very pleased with the results and so far everything is working as it should.
FH3 in HDR looks stunning on the XB1s (better than it ever did on my IPS Pc monitor)

Thanks Demon - if I hadn't stumbled across your excellent review I would never have gone down this route.

Last edited:
Soldato
This seems to make so much sense.

So a 4K 40'' TV in a custom resolution equals to a 34'' ultra wide monitor?

So you're basically paying less money for a 4k HDR display (aka future proofing to a degree which monitors doesn't offer apart from g/free-sync and hz) ?

Associate
This seems to make so much sense.

So a 4K 40'' TV in a custom resolution equals to a 34'' ultra wide monitor?

So you're basically paying less money for a 4k HDR display (aka future proofing to a degree which monitors doesn't offer apart from g/free-sync and hz) ?

Think it's more like a 36" ultra wide. As I use my ps4 pro connected to my pc monitor (27" 2569x1440 60 Hz) I will be picking up one of these next week. Has everyone that bought one of these had the blue lines issue?

Soldato
Have you seen the price of this now at various places? 549,549,520 tvs normally get cheaper, its 50 inch territory now!

Yep, the 40" ones are going up. Have you seen the prices of the hisense 40m3300 now :eek:

I have a feeling that the driver is the pc community. Considering large 4k monitors are over a grand, many people are switching to tvs (and rightly so).....this demand pushes prices up. Especially hdr.

I'm on the look out for one myself, but only sub £400

Associate
Have you seen the price of this now at various places? 549,549,520 tvs normally get cheaper, its 50 inch territory now!

Glad I purchased mine when I did, 6 days before black Friday, so got to claim the difference back when RS dropped to £399 ;)

For £399 with 6 years warranty it's been fantastic for me, having so much real estate has really helped with photo/video editing

Associate
The KU6400 "40" can still be had some places for £450, considering a "40 4K pc monitor is way above that its still a bargain I think :D.
I however still cannot decide if its 40KU6400 or the 49" KU7000, while the HDR10 compliance will be nice I just dont know if 49" will be too big to use as a pc monitor+combined screen for my PS4 and if an extra £400 is worthwhile :(.

Soldato
I've only seen them two or three times in total and not for ages. I wonder if the last update sorted them out?

Scratch that as I was watching Monday's Silent Witness last night and had sustained blue lines for a couple of minutes.

I was watching through PotPlayer and interestingly it was confined to the PotPlayer window, so if I shrunk PotPlayer the lines shrunk so they stayed in the window too. Rewound back and it didn't happen (so it's definitely not on the video).

It only happened while watching the MP4 of Monday's episode (encoded via Handbrake) and they weren't in evidence at all when watching the 2nd episode (watching the 'live' TS stream through PotPlayer). I only flag this up as this is the first thing I've watched for a month or so that I recorded and encoded myself, and it's the first time I've seen the blue lines for ages too despite using the TV most days, and usually processed by the PC. Even though the PC is doing all of the processing, I wonder if it's something to do with frame rate or variable bit-rate or other encoding settings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went tonight to local big shop of a very known chain, to look at the 40KU6400
To its left was running the same demo the 40 curved brother of it. To the right were a 43KS7500 and a 49KS7000.

While the 40KU6400 looked fantastic compared to many others around, spending an extra £300 for the KS7000 makes sense to me.....(still drooling)

But the 40KU6400 indeed makes all monitors ever used, and especially my XL2730, looking like a 100 years old bad quality CRTs.

Back
Top Bottom