• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Missed 5900x boat, wait or go 3600?

Associate
So I've not had a useable PC for 2 months and it's really getting to me. Have everything* but a CPU... and the AMD launch turned out to be much lighter than hoped. Possibly not paper, but maybe cardboard. Definitely didn't have stock by the end of my 2pm constance call

I can't decide if I should get a 3100/3300/3600 for 1-12 months, keep waiting, go on a killing spree or just start ranting.

Suggestions please. And no, no members market access. Would be an easy option.

Soldato
Or a nice s/h 3200G :p :o
By the sounds of it around 3 weeks until restocks, not long, but then it is when its the last piece of the puzzle :(

Associate
OP
Or a nice s/h 3200G :p :o
By the sounds of it around 3 weeks until restocks, not long, but then it is when its the last piece of the puzzle :(
I'm extremely dubious about second hand hardware. Just feels risky :(

I also missed the 5900x but got a 3600 today to use whilst I wait. Tried for a 3300x but non in stock.
Why did you prefer the 3300x? Cheaper?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I'm extremely dubious about second hand hardware. Just feels risky :(

Why did you prefer the 3300x? Cheaper?
3300x is on par in terms of gaming performances to intel’s 10th gen skus due to its unified CCX.

It was the gaming holy grail of zen2 generation on AMD platform. It kind of shows what a unified CCX without the infinity fabric latency can do in gaming performances.

4c/8t is really going to struggle in some of the current titles and the immediate futures. I don’t think the resell value of any 4c parts will be that great say next year. A 3600 whilst slower in games will still hold up in its resell values.

Associate
OP
3300x is on par in terms of gaming performances to intel’s 10th gen skus due to its unified CCX.

It was the gaming holy grail of zen2 generation on AMD platform. It kind of shows what a unified CCX without the infinity fabric latency can do in gaming performances.

4c/8t is really going to struggle in some of the current titles and the immediate futures. I don’t think the resell value of any 4c parts will be that great say next year. A 3600 whilst slower in games will still hold up in its resell values.

My internal debate is hung up on cores. My old pc (killed by lightning) was a 6600k, lightly over clocked. In Fortresscraft (current game of interest, is amazingly over looked) it was 100% flat out. But the game threads well.

3300x is probably about on par with the 6600k? Maybe? Would it still have the same limitations?

That's what I'm going around and around about.

Soldato
My internal debate is hung up on cores. My old pc (killed by lightning) was a 6600k, lightly over clocked. In Fortresscraft (current game of interest, is amazingly over looked) it was 100% flat out. But the game threads well.

3300x is probably about on par with the 6600k? Maybe? Would it still have the same limitations?

That's what I'm going around and around about.
3300x will probably fare a little bit better than 6600k but those CPU utilisation will still be high.

Associate
OP
3300x will probably fare a little bit better than 6600k but those CPU utilisation will still be high.
Which takes me back to the 3600, and maybe keeping it a while longer. (But that's more money wasted). This is the circle I'm going around.

Soldato
Which takes me back to the 3600, and maybe keeping it a while longer. (But that's more money wasted). This is the circle I'm going around.
you dont really have any options other than 3600 cos there is no 3300x anywhere.

if you really dont want to loose any money then pick up second hand parts or get hold off some 2600 if you can

Associate
I ordered 5800x and coming from i7 [email protected]. Got ETA of 30th Nov for new CPU. Wanted to finish the new platform build so I picked up a s/h 3600, and after reading comparisons I was expecting similar performance.
All I can say is wow. The 3600@stock is around 40% faster in games than my decently clocked 6700k. That's when paired with 3080.
I don't know why people say those CPUs are similar performance. And others that are still sitting on ancient 2nd or 4th gen i7s, and saying that they are not much worse than new CPUs..., they don't know what they are talking about.

Associate
OP
I ordered 5800x and coming from i7 [email protected]. Got ETA of 30th Nov for new CPU. Wanted to finish the new platform build so I picked up a s/h 3600, and after reading comparisons I was expecting similar performance.
All I can say is wow. The 3600@stock is around 40% faster in games than my decently clocked 6700k. That's when paired with 3080.
I don't know why people say those CPUs are similar performance. And others that are still sitting on ancient 2nd or 4th gen i7s, and saying that they are not much worse than new CPUs..., they don't know what they are talking about.
That's actually really helpful. Would you mind saying which takes you're finding that, and at what resolutions?

Associate
That's actually really helpful. Would you mind saying which takes you're finding that, and at what resolutions?

Time spy, default settings, my old i7 6700k@4,5ghz 5400(ish) points, Ryzen 3600 7400 points stock

Warzone@1440p mixed settings, but most high/ultra, with Intel 90fps and on Ryzen 3600 getting 120-150. That's with 3080 and same settings for each processor.
Also in warzone was getting some microstuttering that isn't there on Ryzen.

For fairness I'll mention that intel tested on old windows installation and Ryzen on a fresh one. I don't have windows bloated anyways as I use a laptop for daily tasks.

I sold Intel now so can't test with other games unfortunately.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Time spy, default settings, my old i7 6700k@4,5ghz 5400(ish) points, Ryzen 3600 7400 points stock

Warzone@1440p mixed settings, but most high/ultra, with Intel 90fps and on Ryzen 3600 getting 120-150. That's with 3080 and same settings for each processor.
Also in warzone was getting some microstuttering that isn't there on Ryzen.

For fairness I'll mention that intel tested on old windows installation and Ryzen on a fresh one. I don't have windows bloated anyways as I use a laptop for daily tasks.

I sold Intel now so can't test with other games unfortunately.

Chip ordered :)

Associate
Good choice is 3600, best value on the market. New Gen CPU and also GPU will not be ready for masses anyway for several months I expect to be in shops around summer looking at the rate of fulfilling preorders....

Soldato

I got the 6700k and really want to upgrade it sometime next year with a 5950x, reading your reply it sounds like im gonna notice a nice bump in performance.

Soldato
for anyone who s buying 3600 right now, it is probably a bad time. the price has been hiked pre-sales season. current price is pretty much the same as launch prices.

3600 has historically been as low as £143.99 just as a benchmark of value.

Associate
To be honest right now its probably worst time ever to build PC for end consumer. Where are the times when I was getting my mid range GFX 970 for 249 and thinking it is expensive. Ryzen 3600 was generally around £180. One time it droped for short time to £143. It was February this year when people were most panicking because of covid and economy impacts. I don't think we will see price going down same way anytime soon. AMD will be getting slowly away from producing these chips in favor of new product line and lower production will keep prices up.

Soldato
There has never been a good time to buy PC hardware, there is always a component that is historically expensive or hard to find. Remember when RAM cost a fortune? Remember when hardrives became gold because of that factory flooding.

The 3600 can be had for 165 at the moment - thats a very good price for those wanting to jump to AMD.

Back
Top Bottom