Missing parcel - what to do?

Soldato
So I ordered something yesterday over the phone using my credit card, and they shipped it yesterday for delivery today with UPS. I wasn't sure if I would be in, but thought I would just rearrange delivery if they left a card.

Got back just now, there's a card, with no other info filled in (date, time, etc.) but just "Behind Green Bin" in quite bad handwriting.

I've checked behind the green bin and inside it. Nothing to be found.

I can only assume that either someone has seen UPS leave something there, and then taken it, or spotted it whilst walking past, and taken it.

I've asked both my neighbours, as we regularly take in parcels for one another, but they've not had anything, and I'm sure the card would've said as much if they'd in fact left it with them.

The value of the item is £250, and it was quite rare (an old lens). I'm going to call the retailer tomorrow to see what they can do, but it doesn't look like much is possible. The only proof I've got is the card they left. If that fails, I assume a chargeback with my credit card is the best route? :o

M0ohhYJ.jpg

:rolleyes:

Well I hope you get your money back. Ridiculous service that is. I ordered a set of front car break disks, which the driver decided to deliver to the car thief down the round when I wasn't in? Lucky for him and me (I suppose ) as he was in prison at the time and his partner wasn't sure what to do with them.

Last edited:
Associate
Can't believe this is a thing couriers do in the UK. If they did that over here in the Netherlands and the parcel was lost they could see exactly who the driver was and they'd be fired instantly - and rightfully so. I guess the drivers get a small bonus for every X amount of parcels delivered though, and the drivers themselves just don't give a single **** about your items.

Especially a company like UPS, I would've expected better. I know my UPS guys by now so it'd be mostly difficult on them. If I pay for something that I never receive, as a consumer I should always get my money back.

Soldato
It's still in my shed. I can see the neighbours are in this evening but they haven't come over.

Heh, you do realise the longer you leave it the worse it gets. Just come clean. Tell a little porky about the shed leaking if it helps you deal with the situation, but if you do then take the item to them because otherwise they might notice your shed hasn't leaked. Or you could just leave the hose on in your shed to cover your alibi and let things escalate in a sort of sitcom manner.

Soldato
OP
When UPS deliver to me i'm usually out so they take the parcel to my local drop off point which is a dry cleaning shop where all the parcels sit in their window until picked up.

Don't think that's the case in this instance. Surely would've said on the card if so.

Anyway, I checked the online tracking number that the retailer provided:

QHvviN2.png

And the proof of delivery is just the same thing... "Front Door". :o So it's been sat there all day for anyone to take.

Rang the retailer, they're gonna chase it up with UPS.

I know too late for this incident, but ever thought about setting up a CCTV?

Do you have any other bins that you can check? I have a green bin, but also a red and a blue one and they tend to drop parcels in the paper caddy in my blue bin then card me to that effect. They one dropped it in the red bin (compost) ewwww lol

Hope you get it sorted asap.

Man of Honour
If you haven't already you'll get your money back no issue.
Just tell supplier they'll send a new one or refund, and they'll claim off courier. Unless you instructed them to leave in a safe place. That is their legal resposnability.
Same If they give it to a neighbour and you never get it, or it gets damaged.

Soldato
If you haven't already you'll get your money back no issue.
Just tell supplier they'll send a new one or refund, and they'll claim off courier. Unless you instructed them to leave in a safe place. That is their legal resposnability.
Same If they give it to a neighbour and you never get it, or it gets damaged.

Exactly, it's now the retailers responsibility to follow up as a signature was not collected.

Soldato
Can't believe this is a thing couriers do in the UK. If they did that over here in the Netherlands and the parcel was lost they could see exactly who the driver was and they'd be fired instantly - and rightfully so. I guess the drivers get a small bonus for every X amount of parcels delivered though, and the drivers themselves just don't give a single **** about your items.

Especially a company like UPS, I would've expected better. I know my UPS guys by now so it'd be mostly difficult on them. If I pay for something that I never receive, as a consumer I should always get my money back.

The drivers will be authorised to do this where they judge the risk of theft to be low.

Having to avoid re-deliveries saves the courier a lot of money. They won't do this if a signature was requested though.

Amazon for example leave stuff on doorsteps where hidden from the street for low value items not requiring a signature. I don't mind that they do. saved me time on dozens of deliveries and not one went missing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a £250 camera left in the bin, no card. Lucky I didn't drop anything on top of it in the dark.

The Mrs had goods dropped in the bin too, £600 worth. The only problem was the incompetent **** of a delivery driver dropped them in the bin just before the bin wagon came along and had left a card stating that they'd been left on the porch. It was only when she checked the CCTV that she found out he'd unceremoniously dropped her goods into the bin, and pushed them down so they'd actually fit into the full bin.

The mind boggles sometimes, it really does.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
This is insane. Why can't they just leave a card saying they'll come back tomorrow, or you need to schedule a new delivery?

The mind boggles :confused:

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Could be worse, I had a parcel "delivered" a couple of weeks ago, I scheduled a Fri delivery because I work shifts, 4 on 3 off so I knew ide be off on the Fri, the parcel never arrived, yet I get a confirmation email confirming delivery & stating it had been given to the "recipient" at my home address, god knows what house the driver left it at but it sure as hell wasn't mine. :rolleyes:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Could be worse, I had a parcel "delivered" a couple of weeks ago, I scheduled a Fri delivery because I work shifts, 4 on 3 off so I knew ide be off on the Fri, the parcel never arrived, yet I get a confirmation email confirming delivery & stating it had been given to the "recipient" at my home address, god knows what house the driver left it at but it sure as hell wasn't mine. :rolleyes:
Do drivers not require a name and signature from the recipient when delivering parcels?

Obviously it depends whether it's sent by courier or post but the UK seems very lax with this!

Associate
The Mrs had goods dropped in the bin too, £600 worth.

That's shocking.

I only noticed because it was daylight when I went to put something in the bin and it was filled with a box of unknown origin.

Luckily my bin-men are too lazy to go get the bin unless it's place 4cm or less from the kerb.

Soldato
OP
I know too late for this incident, but ever thought about setting up a CCTV?

Do you have any other bins that you can check? I have a green bin, but also a red and a blue one and they tend to drop parcels in the paper caddy in my blue bin then card me to that effect. They one dropped it in the red bin (compost) ewwww lol

Hope you get it sorted asap.

Not really worth it, plus we're renting. Honestly this is the first time this has ever happened, and I buy and sell stuff online all the time.

We have a green bin and black bin, and a small food bin out the front, same as my neighbours. I checked all the bins.

Just tell supplier they'll send a new one or refund, and they'll claim off courier.

Sadly probably not. The lens in question is 20 years old, and pretty rare in the UK (there's one other on eBay that ends today but it's an auction). Can usually only be sourced from Japan or the US.

Will just have to keep my eye out for another.

Caporegime
I've had a a mobile phone delivered by a courier company 60 miles away and signed for by "Ivan" and was told by them that I needed to ask Ivan where my parcel is :rolleyes:

My dad had a chainsaw delivered and when checking the courier company they said it had been left on his front door step. Clearly when he got home it was gone.

The retailer sent another one which arrived. A few months later my dad went into his greenhouse in the front garden and found the first chainsaw in there. No where had the delivery driver recorded the fact that was where he had put it.

Associate
Your postal and courier services are atrocious.

Over here, if you're not home they will come back the next day. If you're still not in then they'll usually try to deliver it to one of the next-door neighbours. If they can't take it either the courier will take it to one of the local post offices/ drop off points and you can go fetch it from there after showing them your ID.

Caporegime
Heh, you do realise the longer you leave it the worse it gets. Just come clean. Tell a little porky about the shed leaking if it helps you deal with the situation, but if you do then take the item to them because otherwise they might notice your shed hasn't leaked. Or you could just leave the hose on in your shed to cover your alibi and let things escalate in a sort of sitcom manner.

What have I missed?

Back
Top Bottom