Missing parcel - what to do?

Soldato
It makes every sense

Da cluezes are in da wordzes

I must be dense because I just cannot see how it would add any extra time to the workday. This is what I thought happens:

1. Driver attempts delivery. Nobody is in, depending on company policy package is left, given to a neighbour or taken back to the depot. The 'sorry, you weren't in card' tells the customer where the parcel is
2. Driver goes onto the next delivery.

3. At the end of his workday, his van gets unloaded where the customer can ask for a redelivery or come collect it at the depot.

Where does the extra 30 minutes come into play?

Man of Honour
Where does the extra 30 minutes come into play?

Yes it can and does work your way but most drivers I know are still responsible for delivering the package and sometimes they can't deliver.

The driver then delivers the next day and he hasn't been paid from the day before.
He may now be at a delivery that is 15 minutes from the house in the opposite direction to where he needs to go therefore adding 30 minutes to his working day.
Yes, this does happen and I have a couple of mates who regulary have to do this.
After the second attempt they leave a card and take it back to base but they have wasted all that time.
You only need a couple of non deliveries to really ruin your day.

It also happens with gas meter readers.
Both my Brother In Laws can get in very late trying to get all the readings they need.
They work out the route late at night and the following evening they can be adding 5 customers to it they didn't get the day before.

Last edited:
Soldato
The redelivery adds time. The clue is in your own post.

So depending on the next day's route (i.e. where the delivery following this redelivery is) it could easily add a lot of time. If it happens to be very close then fine it doesn't add that much time, but if it is far away that is a big diversion made in order to make this redelivery.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this paid-per-parcel salary standard across the industry? Anyway, it's unfortunate they aren't paid for attempting delivery and would rather sign off. But do you really sympathise with the drivers who decide to dump expensive parcels on their doorstep of people completely visible from the footpath with lots of traffic?

Soldato
Is this paid-per-parcel salary standard across the industry? Anyway, it's unfortunate they aren't paid for attempting delivery and would rather sign off. But do you really sympathise with the drivers who decide to dump expensive parcels on their doorstep of people completely visible from the footpath with lots of traffic?

Yes its pretty standard. Driven by the consumer.

Soldato

The reality is most don't get stolen.

Otherwise courier companies wouldn't authorise their drivers to do this, since it comes out of their pocket if it goes missing.

Even Royal Mail do this if the entrance is secluded enough. I once asked whilst at the delivery office, why they didn't do the same for the package I was collecting (would have saved me a lot of time) I was told it also depends on the driver and how comfortable they are leaving the package near the doorstep.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom