Mister FPGA

Soldato
OP
i spent the day tidying up my mister, getting Neo Geo CD and Playstation working after migrating to a bigger hard drive. Hopefully we will get the Neo Geo pocket core on Friday.

Ive also been having a lot of fun with Jungle Hunt, i have very strong nostalgia for that arcade game so i was chuffed it got released last week.

Soldato
Quick question (I still have a lot to learn with the Mister) - what's the interface connection between your Mister and the NAS/SSD ? Ethernet cable?

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Quick question (I still have a lot to learn with the Mister) - what's the interface connection between your Mister and the NAS/SSD ? Ethernet cable?

I’ve not got it setup yet but I’m planning on WiFi. I believe it’s slightly slower to load the game but once it’s loaded the game plays from the MiSTer and not constantly reading from the NAS so doesn’t actually impact gameplay etc

However, with PSX where the whole game doesn’t fit in memory, that could have slow down issues… I think!

Take everything I’ve just said with a pinch of salt!

Soldato
Thank you :) That's interesting and seems logical , i'm about to move my Mister to wifi and wondered how the transfer speeds would differ if I then went the SSD route. Please keep updated when you move over.

Associate
Has anyone tried Retronas?

I set it up as an unraid VM, but it didn't seem to be working with hardlinks on that setup, I think it needs to all be btrfs to take full advantage. A neat setup though to have a single library, with clever handling of folder structures for specific systems (like mister).

Associate
Has anyone tried Retronas?

I set it up as an unraid VM, but it didn't seem to be working with hardlinks on that setup, I think it needs to all be btrfs to take full advantage. A neat setup though to have a single library, with clever handling of folder structures for specific systems (like mister).

No. Although I remember seeing that Youtube video last year and did want to try it out. But I think its strength is when used with multiple emulation devices which I don't really have. I did for a while run a SMB/CIFS share as mentioned in this very thread but having since retired my old HP Microserver I have repurposed an old 1TB SSD in one of those Orico Cassette enclosures. And that's been fine and as easy to organise as a network share.

RetroNAS is a very cool project though as you mentioned.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I’ve designed and made a case to go with my MiSTer DASH concept. My 2 year old yanked on the cable the other day and I thought he had ripped the micro usb port off of the DE10 so had to do something about it!

The case has a Noctua fan, Micro USB OTG Shim > USB A male breakout > USB A Female breakout.

Here's a render of the latest design. I've decided to drop the SNAC port for now as wiring it up isn't as straight forward as I first thought...

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Thank you :) That's interesting and seems logical , i'm about to move my Mister to wifi and wondered how the transfer speeds would differ if I then went the SSD route. Please keep updated when you move over.
I finally moved over and using the cifs_mount script, it was pretty straight forward and easy to setup. I have all the console games on the NAS and keeping the arcade core games on the SD card, it's easier to manage this way as I'm using the update_all script to get the latest arcade core releases etc I've not tried PSX yet so can't comment on loading speeds or any game play slow downs etc

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll make a note of that, thank you Zaf.
Brilliant work by the way, your set-up and adaptations are very impressive

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaf

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I finally moved over and using the cifs_mount script, it was pretty straight forward and easy to setup. I have all the console games on the NAS and keeping the arcade core games on the SD card, it's easier to manage this way as I'm using the update_all script to get the latest arcade core releases etc I've not tried PSX yet so can't comment on loading speeds or any game play slow downs etc

Bit of an update, I've still not tried PSX as I'm waiting to build a Playstation 1 controller Daemon adapter first, but I've just tried Neo Geo CD and can't get the games to load from my NAS but they load fine from the SD card.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I've just tried PSX over WiFi loading from my QNAP NAS in the same room as the MiSTer and router, and it was unplayable. I then tried from SD card to rule anything else out, and it played fine.

Associate
Not strictly MiSTer related but 8bitdo have announced a new retro inspired mechanical keyboard to be released in NES or Famicom editions. For the $100 RRP you get a lot for your money including those separate large mappable buttons.

https://www.8bitdo.com/retro-mechanical-keyboard/

Kind of think it looks better in the Famicom colours.

Perhaps a great keyboard to be paired with a MiSTer setup and might be tempted to get one. Comes off the back of their Neo Geo controllers and Saturn-theme M30 controllers, amongst other things.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Is this issue only happening with the PSX core?

That was the only CD console core I tested, all of the cartridge based console cores worked fine.

I didn’t try the arcade cores as these get updated with Update_all and installed to SD card automatically.

Back
Top Bottom