Rate the 2022 Monaco Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

We haven't seen a lap 1, turn 1 crash at Monaco for years, have we? A proper shunt taking out 3 cars?

Regardless, I'm hoping Leclerc can handle his nerve and actually finish this one.

Soldato
OP
No practice today? When did they move it to Friday? Monaco practice has always been on the Thursday.
This is the first year. It was announced sometime last summer or autumn.

The only session today is F2 practice, well the only televised one in the UK as far as I know. Formula Regional and Porsche Supercup practices have taken place already.

Associate
@this_is_gav thank you and to other members who have been taking turns creating these posts. Great photo!

Monaco will never be dropped, same with Ferrari if either leave it will never be F1. The drivers love it, all the street circuits piling in on the calendar all want to emulate the glitz, glamour of Monaco and all fall short. Singapore is probably the closest. I would ditch them any day over Monaco, along with all the desert circuits.

Barcelona got a load of stick in last weeks thread. I'm in the minority but at least Barcelona has history, genuine fans and I hope they remove the Micky Mouse chicane. I would much rather watch a race where there are genuine enthusiasts, than swapped for a race in yet another country where there is naff all crowds and the race is purely a political move.

Its bonkers there is no race in Germany!

Man of Honour
We haven't seen a lap 1, turn 1 crash at Monaco for years, have we? A proper shunt taking out 3 cars?

Regardless, I'm hoping Leclerc can handle his nerve and actually finish this one.

Nah I think its been a while, probably since they changed the pit exit and removed the barrier along the inside at Sainte Devote

No practice today? When did they move it to Friday? Monaco practice has always been on the Thursday.

Apparently they used to have the Friday off as it was a holiday; "Ascension Day" but fewer and fewer people celebrate it now, also I suspect the move to a "standard" Fri-Sun also means they're able to do it back to back with another race (like they have this year).

Monaco will never be dropped, same with Ferrari if either leave it will never be F1. The drivers love it, all the street circuits piling in on the calendar all want to emulate the glitz, glamour of Monaco and all fall short. Singapore is probably the closest. I would ditch them any day over Monaco, along with all the desert circuits.

Barcelona got a load of stick in last weeks thread. I'm in the minority but at least Barcelona has history, genuine fans and I hope they remove the Micky Mouse chicane. I would much rather watch a race where there are genuine enthusiasts, than swapped for a race in yet another country where there is naff all crowds and the race is purely a political move.

I can't see Monaco going, I agree it would be a bit like Ferrari leaving, if we're stuck with new races that are more "event" than race (like Miami) then I see no issue in keeping Monaco on the calendar as well, its swelling with glamour and history and seems to attract the same "A-List" year in year out, people who are genuine F1/car nuts rather than American's that most of us don't know and are just there to get a shot for Instagram.

I could live without Barcelona although I'd like to see the old last corner restored (if only because I hate that final chicane when I'm playing F1 2021!) - it is crazy that Germany doesn't have a race although with the slow demise of Vettel there isn't really a "big" frontrunning driver, I expect Schumacher will be the big draw eventually but that feels a few years away yet. At the end of the day if they won't pay then Liberty won't play...

Ironically with DRS, etc I bet the old long Hockenheimring would give us a lot of overtaking to watch!

Soldato
@this_is_gav

The Germans only have themselves to blame. It's not like there hasn't been opportunity. Germany is often its own worst enemy at times.

As for Monaco, the cars can follow so closely, really all it needs is just one good solid overtaking spot. Maybe eat into the park more around Mirabeau, and extend the corner with artificial banking. There is a little space at the outside of the hairpin if they wanted to build something. IIRC there is a car dealership where with small car park/forecourt.

Man of Honour
Monaco as an event is fine. It just needs a rethink. The track isn't suitable for racing. It should be scored over a few time trial sessions or something. The race is pretty much won on the Saturday anyway.

Caporegime
I'm interested to see how the new cars perform here, and Monaco qualifying is usually a treat even if the race is often a snoozefest. I've got guests coming from England this weekend though, so I'm not sure whether I'll get to watch or not.

Soldato
OP
Unless it rains :D
The forecast is still all over the place. I looked at Meteo France yesterday and it said sunny on Sunday afternoon, with a chance of lightning. Now there's no mention of lightning and just a fairly steady sunny day, though with a bit of a breeze.

Met Office gives a 40% chance of rain while BBC gives only a 13% chance of rain (nearly the exact opposite of Weather.com in your screenshot).

Obviously it's a tricky area to forecast for, with the sea being on one side and mountains on the other.

As is inevitable when looking at weather for F1 you know the weekend will be gorgeous and stable.

Soldato
Here's hoping for perfect conditions on Saturday so we can see the cars blasting around the track at full speed for an exciting qualifying, before then having intermittent rain and some changeable conditions to produce an exciting race!

Soldato
OP
Norris not up to giving the press conferences following his illness:

I hope he's up to taking part in the race. Who is the reserve driver if he can't make it? Is it Hülkenberg?
They added Piastri to their reserve list during testing, but already had an agreement with Mercedes where they could call on either Stoffel Vandoorne or Nyck de Vries.

What a baptism of fire that would be for Piastri - first F1 race and it's at Monaco in a car you've never driven.

On that basis, and assuming he isn't elsewhere, I'd assume they'd call on Vandoorne. He has experience with the team (albeit four years ago) and obviously has driven an F1 car around Monaco, though de Vries is the one with the most recent F1 experience, for Williams at Barcelona.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom