Monaro VXR - 6 Months on

[TW]Fox;19167725 said:
Just isn't special enough to deserve that sort of expense :(

They make sense where fuel is half the price but if I'm going to average 15mpg I want a badge on the back that says AMG or something.

but then again an AMG is likely to come with certain maintenance costs.
I mean Princey here himself has pointed out that most of the expenses weren't really necessary and if they were, they should not re-occur in the future.

I'd say the fuel economy is the only thing that makes this worse than a regular car maintenance wise, but apart from tham the other costs should be quite reasonable(especially for what it is), which on an AMG you're not quite likely to see...

Awww stunning! ... One day ill own one of these bad boys!

For me personally its the perfect car (assuming I could afford the running costs ;))

- Massive roaring V8
- Loads of space
- Nice simple interior
- Stunning exterior
- Coupe!

Last edited:
If you want a cheapish first mod which knocked 1sec of my camaro's 1/4 time, stick a new rear end in it, 4.10's or something low, lose 20mph top end but itll fly out of the blocks.

The supercharger I mentioned is a TVS 1200 which is small and cheap and fitted for £3000. The other is a TVS 2300 thats gets you upto to and over 600bhp. Yes it would be £2k cheaper to go N/A but I'd also be 50bhp down and have no supercharger whine. Plus the TVS 1200 with a full exhaust and CAI will see around 570bhp. So 30bhp less than the TVS 2300 but also over £1000 cheaper.

The only question to think about, is the Supercharger at £3k worth 50hp?

You realise each 1hp will cost you £60!

I would probably be dreaing of a supercharger, but is it really worth it for a little extra power and a whine with the possibility of something going wrong with either it or the engine?

I'm unsure as to the merits of buying a supercharger yourself.

I would love one on a car like this, but just not sure the 5k would be worth it. Its money you'll never get back as it won't add value to the car. And it will put a lot of insurance companies off.

"is your vehicle modified sir ?"

"yes its supercharged"

"how much power does that add"

"Increases it over 50 % to 600hp"

"had much experience of 600bhp muscle cars have you sir"

"mmm yeah, of course ...."

I think we can count on one or two hands the people on this forum with experience of 600hp muscle cars.

I'm unsure as to the merits of buying a supercharger yourself.

I would love one on a car like this, but just not sure the 5k would be worth it. Its money you'll never get back as it won't add value to the car. And it will put a lot of insurance companies off.

"is your vehicle modified sir ?".

From experience, although others may have had different, I tend to find that most performance insurers don't even bat an eyelid at the mention of things like that.

I've even had a few ask me "...does it have nitrous" and then follow up with "well, it won't be an issue anyway" - for example.

I think i'm with Fox on this one.

I loved it on the drive (thanks again Princey) and it's a fantastic car but my god, the fuel costs are jaw-dropping. But hell, that engine is amazing. So smooth.

To put it into perspective he appears to be averaging the same as PeterNem is averaging in his 507bhp V10 M5. A car infamous for it's comically horrific fuel consumption.

If he is only doing 7000 miles a year ( He's done 3500 in the last 6 months) i don't know why everyone is so hung about his fuel costs.

It would be a silly car to have if you were doing 20k a year sure, but he's not.

Back
Top Bottom