Monaro VXR - 6 Months on

So? An E60 M5 also costs a lot more to buy and run.

So what?

I'm expressing an opinion, nothing more. I don't want E60 M5 levels of fuel consumption from a Vauxhall Omega Coupe any more than I'd want to pay steak restuarant money for a pizza hut.

And I quite like Pizza Hut, in the same way that I quite like the Monaro.

I think what Mike was trying to get at (rather badly) is that £15K gets you into the seat of a nice example of one of these - but you'd need at least £10K more than that to get into a decent E60 M5.

For those who are just buying it for the engine and don't care about the badge then that money gets you a lot of fuel and running costs paid for you.

Obviously the M5 is in another class to this car, but that's only going to matter if you're the kind of chap who can appreciate that. :)

The only thing this thread has done is make me want a pizza hut :(

Those are some epic running costs for a Vauxhall. I hope for your wallets sake the next 6 months work out cheaper. Nice sound it makes though, always been a fan of the Monaro's, much more than the VXR8 :)

The only thing this thread has done is make me want a pizza hut :(

Those are some epic running costs for a Vauxhall. I hope for your wallets sake the next 6 months work out cheaper. Nice sound it makes though, always been a fan of the Monaro's, much more than the VXR8 :)

come off it

Theres nothing Vauxhall about it apart from the badge that was stuck on it as it reached the docks.

Its an american muscle car made in Oz. Its essentially the same car as the pontiac GTO.

It has the engine and the transmission from the chevrolet corvette, its no wonder that doing all the fluids cost a few bob.

Another agreement with Fox.

Whilst the e60 is out of the price range currently, for those sort of running costs, I'd want an e39 M5 at the very least sat on my drive.

Although I'd wager an older e39 M5 is coing to cost a whole lot more again (probably)

But hey, I do like the car (Monaro), don't get me wrong on that.

Goes to show what the extra weight does for fuel economy.

Most over on Pistonheads average 22MPG from the Corvette Z06 which has the 7l 505BHP engine. Though the Vette is a good 300-400kg lighter and has even longer gearing, 60mph in 1st for example. ;)

I get equally as bad MPG in the Boxster S. I've averaged 17.5MPG since picking it up but it's worth it, and I'm sure Princey feels the same about the Monaro.

come off it

Theres nothing Vauxhall about it apart from the badge that was stuck on it as it reached the docks.

Its an american muscle car made in Oz. Its essentially the same car as the pontiac GTO.

It has the engine and the transmission from the chevrolet corvette, its no wonder that doing all the fluids cost a few bob.

Why do you keep calling it American muscle? Its a Holden. Its an Australian Vauxhall. Like it or not it still has a Vauxhall badge on it and therefore it makes it a Vauxhall so calling it American muscle makes no difference.

Why do you keep calling it American muscle? Its a Holden. Its an Australian Vauxhall. Like it or not it still has a Vauxhall badge on it and therefore it makes it a Vauxhall so calling it American muscle makes no difference.

I have to agree here, its not a Mustang, its not a Charger and its not a Corvette!

The Ozzies made an OK car but a Mustang and a Corvette would show it a new pair of heels in a straight line and in the corners. :)

I get equally as bad MPG in the Boxster S. I've averaged 17.5MPG since picking it up but it's worth it, and I'm sure Princey feels the same about the Monaro.

Your Boxster has a combined mpg of circa 10mpg more than the Monaro - so you must be driving it particularly hard. Driven in the same way over the same roads he'd probably not even break 10mpg.

It was sold in the US as the pontiac GTO ! one of the definitive american muscle cars.

If GM didn't see it as an american muscle car, why did they merely change the front grill and sell it in the us as the GTO ?

Yes its holden built, but holden is merely a subsidiary of General Motors, an american company. It uses the corvette engine for goodness sake.

And what is a muscle car ? its a V8 powered, 2 door coupe, rear wheel drive, sold at an affordable price. Everything the monaro is.

If you want to get pedantic its perhaps arguably an Australian Muscle car, as the Ozzies have their own muscle car heritage. But that in turn was a spin off from the american muscle cars.

Look at the dodge challenger, another muscle car. Again its a v8 powered coupe version of a mass market saloon. The dodge charger is found all over the states in use as a taxi.

[TW]Fox;19180733 said:
Your Boxster has a combined mpg of circa 10mpg more than the Monaro - so you must be driving it particularly hard. Driven in the same way over the same roads he'd probably not even break 10mpg.

I am seeing 14.5MPG-15MPG in the 911, but again I am driving it hard, Mustang driven in a similar fashion on similar roads would return 12-13MPG.

The Monaro's killer on fuel consumption is its weight, with driver and fluids its knocking on the door at 2 tonne. :(

[TW]Fox;19180733 said:

To be fair I've not driven it horrifically hard, however the only journeys the car has been on this week are:

Every morning 3 miles to work
Every afternoon 5 miles to second site
Every evening 4 miles to home

I'm doing a long drive this weekend down to the coast so I expect to get much better figures.

I filled up with 55 odd litres (£77!!) the other day so the tank was totally full and it said that should do me 270 miles.

It was sold in the US as the pontiac GTO ! one of the definitive american muscle cars.

If GM didn't see it as an american muscle car, why did they merely change the front grill and sell it in the us as the GTO ?

I'm not sure where my opinion lies on this particular debate but a few points - the 1960's GTO was a diffinitive American muscle car but that doesnt automatically apply equally to everything with the same name - I mean you wont be arguing the current Dodge Charger is a muscle car will you :p

There have been numerous cars sold as something they really only just lived up to - what about the late 80's Mustang's? Dire, apparently.

[TW]Fox;19180845 said:
I'm not sure where my opinion lies on this particular debate but a few points - the 1960's GTO was a diffinitive American muscle car but that doesnt automatically apply equally to everything with the same name - I mean you wont be arguing the current Dodge Charger is a muscle car will you :p

There have been numerous cars sold as something they really only just lived up to - what about the late 80's Mustang's? Dire, apparently.

Spot on!

The only American car that has always held onto its muscle and sports class is the Corvette!

The modern Charger, GTO I'd no longer class as muscle cars, they are just regular soft coupes with big engines which at best are a bit dull to drive. If were classing a car as a Muscle car due to its engine that would make most Mercedes, Audi's and pretty much most Yank cars muscle cars which is not true. Its my oppinion that its not just the engine that defines a car as a muscle car, it has to be rather special and really stand out and have a huge following.

I have to agree here, its not a Mustang, its not a Charger and its not a Corvette!

The Ozzies made an OK car but a Mustang and a Corvette would show it a new pair of heels in a straight line and in the corners. :)

is a Stock 5th gen 2004 Mustang GT that much better than the monaro VXR ? I'd argue not.

Spot on!

The only American car that has always held onto its muscle and sports class is the Corvette!

The modern Charger, GTO I'd no longer class as muscle cars, they are just regular soft coupes with big engines which at best are a bit dull to drive. If were classing a car as a Muscle car due to its engine that would make most Mercedes, Audi's and pretty much most Yank cars muscle cars which is not true. Its my oppinion that its not just the engine that defines a car as a muscle car, it has to be rather special and really stand out and have a huge following.

thing is the old muscle cars like the 60s chargers were absolute barges to drive. They were only about the engine.

The idea that a muscle car should handle as well as the european cars is quite a modern idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom