Money Heist

Caporegime
Anyone else watch this. One of the best series I have seen in a very long time, I started when Parts 1 & 2 appeared on Netflix and have been hooked ever since!

Part 4 just appeared on Netflix yesterday.

Watch with Original Spanish Audio and English Subtitles where possible!

rp2000

Caporegime
I watched the first season, started well but turned into a bit of a hammy soap opera by the end.
I'd advise you to continue to part 2 (if only to "finish" the storyline from part 1). Part 1-2 are the Bank robbery, whilst parts 3-4 are a different heist.

I didn't really find it soap opera-y but the back stories, relationships, character development are all relevant to the heist.

For people who haven't even seen or heard of this show, it's a similar (albeit greatly expanded) premise to the 2006 Spike Lee film Inside Man https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454848/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

At one point it was the most streamed non English series on Netflix (albeit a lot of that was due to a very large Latin American Audience).

rp2000

Soldato
Been watching it from the start and really enjoy it. Seasons 1-2 are much better than 3-4 so far.

We watch with English dubbing as my missus can't keep up with the subtitles due to her dyslexia.

Man of Honour
Watch with Original Spanish Audio and English Subtitles where possible!

I know they've gone back and improved them a bit but last time I checked a lot of the subtitles were still like they translated from the original to some random language then to English then back to some other random language before translating back to English again and unfortunately the dubbing is far short of the original audio - doesn't make it unwatchable but loses something for the English viewer who doesn't have a good grasp of Spanish.

Caporegime
I know they've gone back and improved them a bit but last time I checked a lot of the subtitles were still like they translated from the original to some random language then to English then back to some other random language before translating back to English again and unfortunately the dubbing is far short of the original audio - doesn't make it unwatchable but loses something for the English viewer who doesn't have a good grasp of Spanish.

Sadly my Spanish is basic/intermediate. I did try to re-watch part 1 a couple of years ago in Spanish without English subs but it was futile, as they talk so fast!!!
Now my Spanish is good enough to understand a lot of it (with English subtitles still on, off course) and it seems relatively accurate to me.

I'm guessing from your comments your Spanish is better than me and i'm wrong on my critique/assessment of the subs! It hasn't affected my enjoyment so far though, in the sense I discuss the intricacies of the show with many Spanish friends and I haven't missed anything from watching the subs!

I've clicked a few links on YT with clips with the english audio, and I think it's terrible just because you lose the passion and emotion of the Spanish Language.

rp2000

Man of Honour
I'm guessing from your comments your Spanish is better than me and i'm wrong on my critique/assessment of the subs! It hasn't affected my enjoyment so far though, in the sense I discuss the intricacies of the show with many Spanish friends and I haven't missed anything from watching the subs!

I doubt it my Spanish is very very basic. As I said not checked recently but when I first started watching it the English subtitles were dire and last time I checked when posting in another thread on the show more recently the updated ones weren't hugely improved but I've not checked more recently.

EDIT: Quickly flicked through an early episode and they've improved them... but it looks like someone has just re-phrased the translations to make more sense without referring to the show as they don't always match up very well with what is actually being said.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I doubt it my Spanish is very very basic. As I said not checked recently but when I first started watching it the English subtitles were dire and last time I checked when posting in another thread on the show more recently the updated ones weren't hugely improved but I've not checked more recently.
I will do a through further critique upon my next watch through!! I've already seen parts 1, 2, 3 twice. I binged part 4 last week so need to watch that again in a few months. Each time a new season is released my Spanish is better, so I think I would have noticed obvious discrepancies in the subs, but hard to say for certain as once you get caught up in the story maybe those small errors just blend in to the background and your brain fills in the missing gaps/errors.

Part 4 is awesome so I urge you to watch that (and maybe see if the subs are better at the same time!)

Edit: is there another thread on OCUK, or are you referring to elsewhere?

rp2000

Man of Honour
There is a short thread here

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/money-heist.18820680

EDIT: As per my post there and from quickly flicking through an episode same problem seems to be there that a lot of the more nuanced aspects of the original back and forth between characters is lost in the subtitles - there is some quite clever plays on things that are taken very literally in the subtitles :( (the dubbing they actually get some of it though I understand enough to realise some is lost).

Caporegime
There is a short thread here

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/money-heist.18820680

EDIT: As per my post there and from quickly flicking through an episode same problem seems to be there that a lot of the more nuanced aspects of the original back and forth between characters is lost in the subtitles - there is some quite clever plays on things that are taken very literally in the subtitles :( (the dubbing they actually get some of it though I understand enough to realise some is lost).

I'm bored in lockdown so if you have some specific parts/episodes I can check on Netflix, feel free! I see some screenshots in the other thread, but they have been taken down now :(

I'm genuinely curious more than anything else, in case I have missed some of the small nuances etc! But based on the other thread there must be something to it, as both you and someone else had the same comments. To be honest I knew they've gone back and re-done the dubs, but dunno if the subtitles have ever been re-done.

Edit: Also reported my own post, so that this thread can be merged with the other one!

rp2000

Man of Honour
I can't really remember specifics now - it is a couple of years or so since I watched a lot of it IIRC.

Caporegime
Im sure they have changed the voices of several of them?! They sound all weird...!!
Yes, they changed the dubbing and also redubbed the old episodes. As i've only ever heard it with Spanish voices, hearing the odd youtube clip in English sounded weird. I'm gonna watch an episode with English voices at some point, just to see if it sounds better or worse. I'm sure the emotion in the characters voices will be lost in English, but willing ti give it a shot.

Without spoilering anything at least one the multilingual actors does his own dubs in 3 or 4 languages!
I finished all 4 Series. Great programme! 10/10 :)
So far I've avoided posting anything here in spoiler tags, as was not sure how many people could have seen the newest season since last Friday. But here goes!

I ****king Hate Gandia! Arturito is only slighty behind in hatred levels after the latest part

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom