Monitor Calibration - Try before you buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
excellent idea, and one i would be keen to be a part of. not sure mine is way out, but oit would be good to test it before droppping the cash on one - cheers! (do i get auto-added tot the list?) i take it we're using recorded/tracked postage - be wise to if not.

Soldato
OP
Very generous of you! May I be included in the list too?
Thanks.

Added to list

excellent idea, and one i would be keen to be a part of. not sure mine is way out, but oit would be good to test it before droppping the cash on one - cheers! (do i get auto-added tot the list?) i take it we're using recorded/tracked postage - be wise to if not.

Added to list, as per the OP the item is to be sent Special Delivery as that will ensure sufficient postal insurance cover.

Soldato
Hey,
Just one snag..
I've made a few ICC profiles and put them default into Window 7's colour management so that it loads at boot. But it doesn't seem to be working? Anyone shed light onto this?
I have to run the LUT loader manually to get it to load the profile.

Last edited:
Soldato
Razor-BladE, and for referance to others, settings in Color Eyes should be as follows,

White point target: D65 / 6500k
Luminance: 120 cd/m2
Gamma: 2.2
Black point target: minimum luminance

Color Eyes Display Pro is a much better piece of software than the bundled Spyder, but comes at increased cost. Everyone should try the trial if they get a chance.

Soldato
I personally don't know much about these gizmos but from what I can gather they create an icc file which windows uses to alter the displayed colour yes? So, as a suggestion, would it be a good idea for those who have set their monitor up with this gizmo to post in the thread saying what make and model their monitor is and maybe upload their icc file somewhere. Apart from the icc profile file, does the software tell you to set anything on the monitors own set up, in case yes then post that as well. It may be useful to someone with an identical monitor, or at least there would be nothing to lose by trying the icc profile if you have the same monitor. As the thing gets posted around we can essentially build a library of icc files, maybe it will be possible to see if the profiles are radically different or similar on the same monitor for example. If I'm talking rubbish just let me know.

Soldato
Razor-BladE, and for referance to others, settings in Color Eyes should be as follows,

White point target: D65 / 6500k
Luminance: 120 cd/m2
Gamma: 2.2
Black point target: minimum luminance

Color Eyes Display Pro is a much better piece of software than the bundled Spyder, but comes at increased cost. Everyone should try the trial if they get a chance.

I done this but the temp colour looks quite cold compared with just putting gamma at 2.2, measuring white point target and luminance to maximum?

Soldato
I done this but the temp colour looks quite cold compared with just putting gamma at 2.2, measuring white point target and luminance to maximum?

How cold the screen looks is determined by the temperature, not the gamma or luminosity (well the tint might be slightly more pronouced if your screen is super bright). If the white point is set to 6500k white should look just that, 6500k. You should then only need to calibrate the device on a black surface, and the program will alter everything else automatically via the LUT.

Also be warned, if you're comparing the profile with the default settings of your graphics card/monitor, it will almost certainly look quite drastically different, because nearly all factory settings are so drastically wrong. You should notice quite a large drop in brightness if the screen is hitting the desired 120cd/m. The colour temp may look to have changed quite a lot, but bear with it for a few minutes. If you adjust as quick as I do it will look normal very quickly. I always double check by opening a photograph I know is colour correct and having a quick scan.

Soldato
Fair enough. My monitors default screen temp was about 5200k so quite a way off.

It is quite a drop in brightness so i've made another profile with 145cd/m :rolleyes: which i'll use for normal use and then change to 120cd/m with photos.

Thanks for the help. And now i have gotten used to the new settings so it's all good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom