Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
Starling has a £300/day limit for cash withdrawals @englishpremier

I'm talking about Monzo's £200 free withdrawal limit - as I'm sure you were aware. After that you are charged 3% which is right up there with some of the worst debit cards around 'for withdrawals abroad'

All cards debit and credit have a maximum daily limit of cash you can withdraw from an ATM. Starling £300 (it's been reduced), Monzo £400, Halifax Clarity £500, Revolut £3,000, N26 €1,000 (depends on country)

Most places take card so I just use card and then you pay the bank fx rate.

That would all depend where not everywhere is as good as UK, where you can easily pay for a 50p bakery item with a card. Mexico, nope, Germany, nope, Boliva, nope, Argentina, nope. Morocco, nope. Bonaire (depends). I could go on and on, as I travel a lot.

Is this the same for Starling business accounts? I am using Halifax Clarity, I have had it a while and use it for holidays only (which was convenient when my card was cloned, but that's another story). For cash I normally just find the best deal on MSE or something. If I can withdraw cash at any ATM in the world fee-free then I will do that, providing my accountant lets me :rolleyes:

I don't know about the Business account as I never withdraw cash from it. Would have to check the terms.

Associate
I'm talking about Monzo's £200 free withdrawal limit - as I'm sure you were aware. After that you are charged 3% which is right up there with some of the worst debit cards around 'for withdrawals abroad'

All cards debit and credit have a maximum daily limit of cash you can withdraw from an ATM. Starling £300 (it's been reduced), Monzo £400, Halifax Clarity £500, Revolut £3,000, N26 €1,000 (depends on country)

That would all depend where not everywhere is as good as UK, where you can easily pay for a 50p bakery item with a card. Mexico, nope, Germany, nope, Boliva, nope, Argentina, nope. Morocco, nope. Bonaire (depends). I could go on and on, as I travel a lot.

I don't know about the Business account as I never withdraw cash from it. Would have to check the terms.

Also travelled a lot, Cuba, Argentina, Brazil, Seychelles, never had a problem. Depends what establishments you go to ;).

Commissario

Eh? This is what you posted:

Starling is better for foreign currency ;)

Unlimited free ATM withdrawals anywhere in the world for any time period.

So no, it doesn't have unlimited free ATM withdrawals?!?!

Man of Honour
This is like Android v Apple, QNAP vs Synology, Windows vs macOS, Consoles vs PC, Xbox vs PS5 etc. :cry:

Just use what works for you and don't post incorrect information.

Soldato
Eh? This is what you posted:

So no, it doesn't have unlimited free ATM withdrawals?!?!

Come on Maccy, you know full well we were talking about using cards abroad and the charges incurred in doing so.

And as such Starling wins out against Monzo. Due to fee free ATM withdrawals, vs Monzo's 3% charge on withdrawing anymore than £200 in a given month (aboard).

Soldato
I seem to have a lot of issues with cards from these providers, I work in payment processing setting up & looking after merchant accounts, payment gateways, card terminals etc.

You can guarantee that if a merchant calls in & says they have a customer having issues with a transaction not processing correctly or a pre-authorisation that has been held for several weeks then it's one of these cards that was used in the majority of cases.

My wife has one of these accounts for her business & despite there being plenty of funds the other week it wouldn't let her pay some of her staff wages, she couldn't get hold of anyone to resolve the issue either so ended up transferring money to her personal account & paying wages out of that.

Commissario
Come on Maccy, you know full well we were talking about using cards abroad and the charges incurred in doing so.

And as such Starling wins out against Monzo. Due to fee free ATM withdrawals, vs Monzo's 3% charge on withdrawing anymore than £200 in a given month (aboard).
Hmm that’s not how it reads to me, but sure

Soldato
OP
It also depends how much you use Monzo for your limits.

I'm allowed to use unlimited cash withdraws within the EEA but only £200 every 30 days for international destinations

Soldato
Because i think a few people in this thread use it. Has anyone had emails recently from Curve requesting proof of identity?

I've had the following email twice from them now, but it seems weird as i've been a user for a few years now and they've never requested it before, similarly my wife hasn't had any requests either.

They've even sent a follow up email advising they've not heard from me which is weird for any spam messages. The email sender is [email protected] which seems genuine, but the link goes to https://applicants.onfido.com/information/... which also seems to be a legit company.

qJ2CmxJ.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Because i think a few people in this thread use it. Has anyone had emails recently from Curve requesting proof of identity?

I've had the following email twice from them now, but it seems weird as i've been a user for a few years now and they've never requested it before, similarly my wife hasn't had any requests either

Nothing for me yet.

Soldato

I've had the following email twice from them now, but it seems weird as i've been a user for a few years now and they've never requested it before, similarly my wife hasn't had any requests either

qJ2CmxJ.png
Nope- been with Curve a long time, never heard of such a thing. I don't recall ever sharing ID with them, and especially not Passport only.

Where does the link take you to?

Soldato
Nope- been with Curve a long time, never heard of such a thing. I don't recall ever sharing ID with them, and especially not Passport only.

Where does the link take you to?

Updated my post above with more details re sender/link address.

It seems fairly legit, particularly due to the follow up, but it's not something i've heard of before.

Back
Top Bottom