Mortgage Rate Rises

Associate
You got a 5.84 and paid an erc?
That must have been 2pc at the very least?

You couldn't have been on that 5.84 long?
We only just signed up to it in September / October which is bloody annoying and I did think about a no ERC tracker but that would have taken us from 2.24% (previous 5 year fix) up to above 6% :( It did pain me to pay the ERC for such a short duration but it will save us £1500 over the next 2 years anyway in the reduced mortgage payments. (so only about £400 overall with the ERC factored in) It's going to save us more in the long term as I'm going to now overpay that reduction back into the mortgage.

This 4.04% we are on now is a 5 year fix so I'm hoping I've made the right choice. We will see! I just saw Nationwide have put their rates up slightly so I got a bit twitchy!

Last edited:
Soldato
We only just signed up to it in September / October which is bloody annoying and I did think about a no ERC tracker but that would have taken us from 2.24% (previous 5 year fix) up to above 6% :( It did pain me to pay the ERC for such a short duration but it will save us £1500 over the next 2 years anyway in the reduced mortgage payments. (so only about £400 overall with the ERC factored in) It's going to save us more in the long term as I'm going to now overpay that reduction back into the mortgage.

This 4.04% we are on now is a 5 year fix so I'm hoping I've made the right choice. We will see! I just saw Nationwide have put their rates up slightly so I got a bit twitchy!

Ouch expensive decision indeed!

Suspect rates won't drop all that much now til the summer

Associate
Ouch expensive decision indeed!

Suspect rates won't drop all that much now til the summer
Yeah it was! If we are back into pre banking crisis normality then I'd say 4% is bloody good! If we aren't quite there yet and head back into sub 2.5% rates again then I've messed up! I'm not clued up enough to know really but my guess is these rates are here to stay and we will swing between 3.5% and 5.5% for the foreseeable.

Soldato
Currently on 2.59 which finishes in August. Just been offered a 5 year fixed at 4.14.

Im thinking i should wait 3 months and see where i am at personally. What do you guys think? 2 year fixed is 4.44%

Soldato
Replying to myself here with the benefit of 6 months hindsight.

Thank God I didn't do this.

There's been a huge uptick in the market and we've pretty much added 65 grand worth of value to our investments, just by holding it.

Same question again now, but this time I get to keep a respectable size of money in the markets too. Or keep chancing it and it increases again.

Longterm it'll probably keep increasing, but man, having the option of being mortgage free is so tempting.
Replying to myself here with the benefit of 7 months hindsight since the above post, and probably a year since the original thought of selling some shares to pay off my mortgage.

Truly, thank God I didn't do this.

The stock market has been going parabolic the last 7 months, and especially the last month. I would've lost many tens of thousands. Even in this higher interest rate environment, the market is just dominating my interest repayments by many many multiples.

Soldato
You can port almost all mortgages at almost all lenders when you move. Going onto a 5.5% tracker is probably unnecessary.

Most even let you break the chain and will refund your ERC if you port within a defined period.

Soldato
You need to be one hell of a gucci belt high revenue earner to be paying that each month :eek:

Hmm. If we remortgaged now at 5.48% our payments would go to about 2K a month. I am very much not at Gucci belt level. Think more Primark level. But yes, £2888 a month is pretty high. @Chris344 presumably has a nice house, or maybe a central London 2 bed flat? :)

EDIT: Personally right now I like the look of trackers too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hmm. If we remortgaged now at 5.48% our payments would go to about 2K a month. I am very much not at Gucci belt level. Think more Primark level. But yes, £2888 a month is pretty high. @Chris344 presumably has a nice house, or maybe a central London 2 bed flat? :)

EDIT: Personally right now I like the look of trackers too.

Pfft.
2k a month is a gucci cap but not belt as well.
I think at 5.5 it's would be at 1250.
If you're primark. I'm temu!

Soldato
Pfft.
2k a month is a gucci cap but not belt as well.
I think at 5.5 it's would be at 1250.
If you're primark. I'm temu!

So I'm at this level basically?

m8Tnzpg.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom