Motherboards are not selling well.

Soldato
I'm in the same place. Unless prices change, I have my final system! They have managed to break my hobby. I have accepted that now. :(

Thinking the same way, I'm thinking what I have is good enough for another 5 years at least and then calling it quite irrespectiveof IF I have the money to continue or not, I'm not getting robbed blind by NV/AMD et al. I'll just keep the PC going to play old games and GSG titles that you can run on a potatoe.

Associate
Most PC hardware, CPUs, mobos and GPUs have seen their sales volume fall by 50% in last 12 months
Come on all consumers, don't blink!

Tragically, I suspect that none of the manufacturers who will break rank. All would rather keep margins high and profits way down due to miniscule volume, and in the process destroy the whole PC market.

Soldato
Paid £242.48 for my Asrock x570 Taichi at release in 2019.

The x670 Taichi is £599.99.

That's unprecedented and nothing more than a complete pisstake. Inflation only would make it £309.42.
I paid similar for the x570 and thought blimey thats expensive at the time the previous board for an i5 4690 later i7 4790 cost £50 in an eBay auction! The only real difference was extra features like onboard bluetooth and wifi not that thats anything to write home about the BT is flaky as hell with my controller ended up plugging in a dongle which is what I would have done previously with budget boards anyway. Boards with all bells and whistles aren't really worth it the dongle was £15 and works far better than whats on the board.

£599.99? Nope, not in this lifetime.

Associate
My first gen threadripper board was £300. I thought that was expensive at the time. That's now the cost for a low end AM5 board, it's insane.

Associate
What sort of margin do manufacturers make on mobos? Would be great if the industry could subsidise the Mobos at cost or make them a loss leader as their ridiculously high prices prohibit other part buying (Ram and CPU in the main)

Associate
Boards may have been cheaper if they stuck with PCI gen 4 and went with 5 later on. GPUs can still get away with gen 3 16x with tiny performance loss and we are many years off a GPU saturating gen 4 16x let alone gen 5. Only benefit is faster storage but how many are going to make full use of a max of what 15GB/s, even 7GB/s drives are overkill for now.

Soldato
Boards may have been cheaper if they stuck with PCI gen 4 and went with 5 later on. GPUs can still get away with gen 3 16x with tiny performance loss and we are many years off a GPU saturating gen 4 16x let alone gen 5. Only benefit is faster storage but how many are going to make full use of a max of what 15GB/s, even 7GB/s drives are overkill for now.
The B650 and X670 non E boards do come with just pcie 4.0 but still start at £180 and £270 respectively for basic bottom of the barrel boards, this is why I'm put off going AM5 right now.

Soldato
My first gen threadripper board was £300. I thought that was expensive at the time. That's now the cost for a low end AM5 board, it's insane.

You would expect a board like that to be a little more expensive.

I feel £300 for a board like that is reasonable and then £200 for a high end am5/790.

People spending £700 on a board have to much spare cash or just fools.

Associate
20th Sep 2020 MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 ATX Motherboard £189.
Yup, thats what I paid for mine too.

Whats sad, in some ways its not as well featured as the Z97m Gaming I bought 5yrs priror to it for £107

That board had many featues the Tomahawk is missing... like a post code display, on-board power buttons, ability to hold the power button down for 4s and enter the BIOS.
Even the software has gone down the pan. MSI Center and Dragon Center are awful and barely work. The update tool that came with the Z97m on the other hand was excellent! It just found all the drivers / software you needed and gave you simple tick-box option to update. It did nothing else. Was light weight and worked.

I just built a system for a freind, using a 5600G, and the cheapest board I could find was an utter bare-bones A520M for £79. It doesnt even have VRM heatsinks at all. But anything B550 or better was going to cost many times what the CPU going into it cost.

So yea... seems the motherboard market is in a strange place right now.

Soldato
I'm thinking of upgrading my system this year, but, like everybody else, the price of motherboards is putting me off. I'm not sure I can justify the price of DDR5 either, especially when the last I looked the speed benefits were negligible.

Soldato
They normaly do none WIFI versions of each board for ~£30 less but this gen almost all boards have the most expensive WIFI. I never use WIFI so disable it in the BIOS.

Associate
I've been pricing upgrades today and a board plus cpu and ram is currently 20% over the value I'd put on the performance bump I'd see. I'll look again in 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom