Moto X+1... let the hype-beasting begin!

Am having fun messing around with Motomaker on the site, still not going to buy the phone though.

Same here last night.

Bearing in mind I own an old Moto X then I may have bought one if it had been less than 5" screen, had 32gb and maybe a bigger battery, a brighter screen, water and dust proof and maybe higher res than the current one :D Oh, and of course Motomaker :cool: Camera isn't an issue to me though accept it is to others.

All that said the battery in the current Moto X is fine (for me) and never really notice the lower screen res. Also it's maybe not the brightest screen but always manage to use it regardless of lighting conditions. Moto X internals are coated to resist moisture but not water and dust proof. 16GB has always been lame.

Can't help but think they've missed a trick (or two) with the new X which is a shame because I thought the original was underrated. Never was high end of which sector every phone is judged against.

There's still time for them to release a MAXX edition with a proper-sized battery :p

I imagine they're reading the reviews and working on a maxx version even now to head off disappointment on the forums .... there again, maybe not :rolleyes:

Shoulda woulda coulda... what a shame.

I'll name that song in 3 :D

So looks like this will be on sale tomorrow according to Amazon, but only for the black on black version. No word from Motorola as to when they'll be selling Motomaker devices. Can't see the white version on sale anywhere. Bit of a lame launch IMO.

Well it's better then last years MotoX launch which didn't happen at all over here, at least they launched something this time. :D

Maybe next time will be better again.

So looks like this will be on sale tomorrow according to Amazon, but only for the black on black version. No word from Motorola as to when they'll be selling Motomaker devices. Can't see the white version on sale anywhere. Bit of a lame launch IMO.

As per the title of this thread the hype-beasting seems to have died a death. In danger of being completely forgotton about. When they announced this phone you'd think they'd have everything in place for launch on a set day. Motomaker says 'coming soon', in other words 'we have no idea what is going on' :rolleyes:

Reviews for the new Moto X aren't bad. Yes battery seems lacking but if it is similar to the old X it won't be too bad. Certainly will depend on how much use during any day of course.

Will I buy one? Probably not though never say never. Thought I'll see what the new Nexus would be like but if it's going to be around 6" then lost interest in that. Not that there is anything wrong with my current Moto X :rolleyes:

With no carrier support. Fantastic.

Motorola are doing such a good job with the Moto X (2014)...

Nearly as good as Moto X (2013) :rolleyes:

Still, you could do worse than a new Moto X. Not perfect I'll grant you. Old model didn't fair so well in the popularity stakes but has and still does serve me well. Probably why I'm not very keen to blow north of £400 at Motomaker

Looking at what is possibly in the pipeline (Nexus), we may have a long wait for the 'perfect phone'. Always a compromise.

Ordered mine last night. Estimated delivery is 13th October. It's expensive, but with no 5" Nexus coming it's the best way for me to get L, and I loved the original so we'll see how it goes. I've been light on the customizations so I can always sell it on if I don't like it.

YAY! They've sold one :D

Motorola are very good for updates currently so should see L quite quickly as will the old Moto X I'm led to believe. Can't be sure on that but no reason why not.

I'd quite like Motomaker and 32GB but not sure if it's a little on the large size.

Hahaha yep, there is at least one sold. Although whether it'll ever get here....

They've really flopped with this launch. Imagine if Apple sold a similar concept - design your own device. Everyone would go bonkers!

Apparently Clove has Black Resin and the White/Bamboo one in stock today, so if people want one sooner that might be the way to go. The black one actually doesn't look nearly as boring as I thought it would.

Last edited:
^Same here...just need to flesh out the reports on the battery and make an informed decision.

Been checking round and it looks like 4hours screen on time is the norm with these, not great but not horrible. Its behind other flagship due to the smaller battery, I would have been all in on the M8 tbh but the size+camera just ruin it.

Been checking round and it looks like 4hours screen on time is the norm with these, not great but not horrible. Its behind other flagship due to the smaller battery, I would have been all in on the M8 tbh but the size+camera just ruin it.

That isn't actually too bad and I can live with that. Just missing the stock experience and looking for something that will replace my Nexus 5

I gave the HTC One M8 a go as well however ended up swapping 6 devices as they all had some sort of build quality defect.

Last edited:
That isn't actually too bad and I can live with that. Just missing the stock experience and looking for something that will replace my Nexus 5

I gave the HTC One M8 a go as well however ended up swapping 6 devices as they all had some sort of build quality defect.

It was funny reading for those :P. Also understand the need for stock Android, I just enjoy Google's design choice and its always fast and clean.

Battery life wise it seems normal usage is ok, but games will really hammer it, guessing it has a display similar to the S4 so its not too good on battery compared to the S5 display. Just disappointing that its not as good as the Moto x 2013.

http://anandtech.com/show/8523/the-new-motorola-moto-x-2014-review/4

Back
Top Bottom