*** Motorola Moto X Style/Play Thread ***

Associate
my Aukey Quick Charge 2.0 wall charger came today

plugged it is, and it still says "charging" I thought it was supposed to say "fast Charging" ?
can anyone confirm please ?

but I think it is working, as on my normal (not Qualcomm charger) does from about 40% in 2 hours, 6 hours if I use a standard usb socket

this new charger says 40 mins from 50%

for moto x play 2015

I have an X Play and it just says charging AC when plugged into Motorola Turbo Charger. Not that I even need to use the turbo charger now. Moto X 14 never liked to stray far from it :eek:

I bought my Play X of Expansis France as I wanted the dual sim model. Only have a need for a month or two so thought I'd sell it again and go back to my Moto X 14. To be honest the X Play has surprised me. Battery life is excellent. Been at a site today where signal is marginal and coming off charge at 5-30am would see the moto x 14 battery flat by around 7pm with an average of an hours SOT and approx 30mins of calls, some browsing, emails and what have you. Same site and usage today and X Play is currently at 70% :cool:

I don't get any lagging but odd things like phone app is a smidge slower loading. Other than that it feels as slick as the Moto X 14 is. Display is nice and bright and I find it plenty sharp enough. I'm on Vodafone and have 4g. When making a call the Play drops to 3G immediately where as the X 14 could take anything up to 30seconds? Dunno why that should be but the Play wins there.

I did miss the 'wave to wake' of the X 14 but have got past that now and it's not an issue. I'm keeping the Play and probably sell the X 14.

Soldato
Says that it ends midnight last night :D

I just ordered one, will see if it gets shipped as I did buy it 7minutes late :p

e; This is going to be a heck of an upgrade from my G3. The battery life is appalling on the G3 and I've usually killed half the battery by the time I get on site to work :(

Last edited:
Associate
Moto X Play hasn't worked too well today. Suffered quite a few freeze then crash episodes followed by a re boot. Something not right with it. Probably wipe and see if that cures it other than that it'll be going back.

Soldato
I'm really impressed with mine. Took it off charge this morning at 5AM. In the van on a trip down to London and then been on site, hammered the battery pretty much all day including taking 2hrs to get out of London and it's only just told me low battery. I would usually have to charge my G3 at lunch time.

Associate
Thankfully after my last post I've had no more problems. It's run faultlessly ever since.

I'm really liking the X Play. Battery gets through every day regardless of what I do. I got into the habit of giving my old Moto x 2014 a top up in vehicle at lunch time as some days battery could be flat by 7pm. Also used to plug it into turbo charger on an evening. Since I got the Play I've never used the turbo charger. I have a standard Motorola charger I use to charge overnight. Love the display which is great outdoors in sun. Nice and bright. Doesn't feel quite as premium as the X 2014 but still handles nicely. The power and volume buttons rattle a little and kind of bug me and a shame it doesn't have the hand wave sensors.

Had a look at a Moto x force in carphone warehouse the other day. Amoled display isn't as bright possibly, but still looks very nice being qhd. Handles very similar to the X Play as far as I could tell as it was tethered to the counter. Could have gone for it but at around £500 it looks expensive.

Associate
OP
Had a look at the Moto x force instore. Looks much better in the flesh, the back has a soft woven texture. The only thing that looked weird were the two slits below the screen.

Not sure on that high price & its quite wide too.. it felt really big compared to my note 5.

Associate
Woke up this morning and had a notification to download Android 6.0 on my style.

And did you :D

Must be rolling out then? I have a Play X and not heard much about MM for it.

Only reason I didn't get the Style was concerns about battery life - how does battery last on your Style?

Soldato
Yes I did :p

The battery on my style has always been like any other phone I've had, use it often and it will need an extra charge in the day or hardly use it at all and it will last a day or two.

I'll see how the battery fairs today post update and let you know.

Associate
My 2014 Moto X got so that it needed a top up very evening and sometimes earlier due to a weakish 4g signal at a site i work at. It was a year old and could have been that the battery was getting some wear and possibly the OS could have done with a wipe and start again clean. I still have it and have wiped it so really should give it a try to see. The display looks more saturated against the X Play but the play screen I really now prefer as colours look more accurate and outdoors in bright sun the Play is way better that the 2104 X.

I was on the fence between the Play and Style but opted for the cheaper Play in dual sim form. Battery life is very good . Only 16gigs of storage of which a big chunk has been swallowed by AvicSync (Pioneer head unit companion nav app). Hoping MM's memory extension onto sd card may help me there.

It'll take a few days for your phone to settle into the new OS so may be you'll not notice a difference with battery life until then?

Soldato
Well it's been off charge for 4.5 hours and it's used 24%. It's had roughly 50 minutes of screen time use and the signal where is work is always on and off so that will affect it somewhat. I'll see how it is after a few days.

Man of Honour
I'm very tempted to go for the force, but then I'd miss the moto display from my x 2014 just waving my hand over the screen has become a habit.

Associate
Well it's been off charge for 4.5 hours and it's used 24%. It's had roughly 50 minutes of screen time use and the signal where is work is always on and off so that will affect it somewhat. I'll see how it is after a few days.

Not to disappoint, but i've never had an OS upgrade that didn't make battery consumption worse!! I suppose Marshmallow may be different ;) I've never upgraded and done a reset either which may have helped?

Associate
I'm very tempted to go for the force, but then I'd miss the moto display from my x 2014 just waving my hand over the screen has become a habit.

I think the Force has the sensors to pick up the hand gestures? The Play hasn't and still catch myself occsionally trying to activate the phone with a hand wave :rolleyes:

Soldato
Any cheap deals on Xplay or Xstyle atm? Im stuck between the two but the battery on the play certainly seems like a bonus to me :) Although the bigger screen and turbo charger in box..

Back
Top Bottom