*** Motorola Moto X Style/Play Thread ***

Associate
If you get a Play then you may not need the Turbo Charger. I've never used mine as battery has always got me through the day. I charge mine overnight with a standard charger. Getting through a day would depend on your usage I expect.

Not seen any deals currently. I miss the 'wave to wake' of my old 2014 Moto x and if battery had been better on the Style I may have got one. My old X was poor and often needed a top up early evening. I feared the Style would be the same with that high res screen. Battery life reports vary though.

Soldato
Bought an X style in the end :) I am happy to try it especially with the turbo charge option battery isn't a major one when there is powerbanks with turbo charge available. The screen is great though 5.7 inch is a sweet spot. I couldn't get to like the LG G4 with its very curved display..

Im now looking for a good case... Recommendations?

Soldato
Jesus the display is curved a lot at edge.. This causes some hell for a screen protector! Even film ones don't quite fit 100% has about 1mm each side of overhang. Its stuck down but its not quite there. Ringke ones get a bad review from me.. May be a first for a phone were i go bare screen or wait with this one until someone releases an almost near perfect screen protector/tempered glass

Associate
Woke up this morning and had a notification to download Android 6.0 on my style.

I downloaded the Indian OTA Marshmallow off a thread on XDA. My Play is a French dual sim which is or based on the Asia firmware. Anyway downloaded the OTA zip to the root of the Play's sd card and from there the phone picked up the update and installed without issue.

All seems good so far but early days. Being a 16gig model I've opted to give the Adaptive Storage a go. Seems to work OK. So far Marshmallow is looking good. No lags or stutters but never really noticed much before. I'll see how battery goes over the next few days.

Soldato
Unicorn, I got the play, and I bought a supcase (beetle Pro) and you don't need to put a protective film on it , the phone is encased very well in this case, I thoroughly recommend it

http://www.supcase.com/moto-x-play-unicorn-beetle-pro-full-protective-holster-cases.html

Got one this morning funnily enough :) Fits really really well! Another +1 for the supcase beetle

Id still like a film on it but my one iv got will be fine until my savvies films show up from germany, I have looked and they cut theres to the exact width of the screen so the halo overhang is none existant. So ill be trying them next before i give up (or find a tempered glass which fits)

Also for the convo above, OTA For 6.0 came when i unboxed my phone 2 days ago im now running 6.0 :) The moto settings appear to be fine also so im happy. Mines 32gb and iv got tons of storage left even after update, Also has a 32gb sd card with all my music on so im hoping to keep my apps phonebound and data on my sd.

Considering iv not really set the phone up yet iv been playing asphalt a lot and its really good :) None of them heat issues my OP2 faced :D

Edit: Forcing myself off rooting a 2 day old phone.. I will miss root for greenify, and titanium though :/ Just warranty is void and moto know as u use there website to unlock bootloader :/

Last edited:
Associate
Unicorn, I got the play, and I bought a supcase (beetle Pro) and you don't need to put a protective film on it , the phone is encased very well in this case, I thoroughly recommend it

http://www.supcase.com/moto-x-play-unicorn-beetle-pro-full-protective-holster-cases.html

Have one of those for my '14 Moto X. Good case with good protection. Down side is it does bulk up the phone and the flaps over the ports, more so usb port which is the main one I used can be a bit of a pain. Upside small bits of fluff, chaff or whatever can get trapped in the ports. Used it for a while and ended up caseless. Didn't like the extra bulk and got fed up with the fiddly port flaps.

I've not bothered with a stick on screen protector for my Moto X Play as tried both the plastic and glass ones on the old Moto X and none of them would stick down round the edges. Ones that did stick down better were cut short of the edges and then you had a ridge round short of the edge of the glass which personally hated.

I have used that Crystalusion glass treatment. I never really know if it's snakeoil though it does make the glass feel 'slicker' and the glass doesn't seem to pick up those really fine micro scratches. Matter of fact I've not scratched a screen since I started using it. I do treat my phones with some care but my job sees me in contact with soil, grit, sand and a host of other undesirables.

Soldato
Iv looked at the "liquid" types of screen protection but it's all snake oil really. I believe in rain-x as I used it on my iPhone to make its screen sleek and that never seemed to get micro scratches either.. I do agree they make a nano millimeter of protection if that so maybe helpful.

I'm not one of those who think tempered glass or film is going to save it from a 3ft tumble. If I drop it from 3ft I'd find my backup phone and ring my insurance simple as that. Same with sharps but it's them little bits of grit, sand and nasties which are forever in my pocket at work

Associate
I have the same issue with grit, sand or abrasive dust that gets in your pockets. My phone used to get those really fine scratches all over really though you could only see them when the display was off and at the right angle to the light. Honestly don't seem to get them to any extent now when treated with crystalusion. I know for sure the nano coating makes the glass feel 'smoother'. When I got the Play X even after a polish with a cloth it felt like your touch dragged on the glass. I had a spare crystalusion and treated it. Gave it a better feel immediately. I don't really know if it is just Rain-X on a wipe :D Smells a bit like it!

Soldato
Had my none fitting protectors refunded by Amazon
Ordered a glass one to try, if it doesn't fit it will also be returned and the hunt will continue..

Last edited:
Associate
Bought an X style in the end :) I am happy to try it especially with the turbo charge option battery isn't a major one when there is powerbanks with turbo charge available. The screen is great though 5.7 inch is a sweet spot. I couldn't get to like the LG G4 with its very curved display..

I have an X Play and thought I'd got used to not having the wave to wake but catch myself waving a hand over it. More so when I pick it up and moto display lights up only to turn off before I get chance to swipe a notification. Out of habit from the X 14 I still wave over the display only to be disappointed and end up having to use the power button :rolleyes: It's a shame it wasn't included on the X Play.

Associate
The plastic is about 1-2mm either side of the glass area and no it doesn't go over the edges - as I said it fits perfectly!

They seem to be the only ones that fit without lifting at the edges. Probably just me but I hated catching the edge of the screen protector when running finger in from the edge of glass. The ones that were 'full size' wouldn't stick down at the edges and drove me even madder :D Gave up in the end and went without though I did use one of those Unicorn ones with a built in screen protector.

Soldato
An Ultimate Shield might be best as the fluid they use lets the protector stick to curves...

Bought a Zagg On Demand from voda today for my phone, Got the invisible shield type for 15 pounds (ouch) but its a PERFECT fit.. Any issues/scratches/damage in 12 months take it back and reapply a new one free :) Can't really go wrong considering ours has a zagg machine and does it in 5 mins for you

Just the 24hr drying time im not touching my phone much :p Its gone clear but its still not quite adheered properly id imagine so leaving it alone. 3 hours on so far

Back
Top Bottom