*** Motorola Moto X Style/Play Thread ***

Associate
And it's already ****** me off!

Play Music won't recognise the SD card if it's RAIDed with internal storage, so have to have it setas portable storage to store music on it.

Backed up wallpapers (for my wallpaper changed app) to internal storage while formatting but no longer have access to that to retrieve them!

Gah!

Associate
And it's already ****** me off!

Play Music won't recognise the SD card if it's RAIDed with internal storage, so have to have it setas portable storage to store music on it.

Backed up wallpapers (for my wallpaper changed app) to internal storage while formatting but no longer have access to that to retrieve them!

Gah!

Hmm, I had that issue. I opted for adaptive storage too and had the Play Music issue. Swiftkey wouldn't work or at least predictive text as it couldn't find the sd card. Why that should be when it worked fine when there was no sd card in at all??

Browser lag was hidious. This was both Opera and Chrome. I thought it was down to adaptive storage maybe and with the other issues I went back to portable storage. Browser lag improved but was still bad enough. Finally reset the phone and the browser lag has become acceptable. The lag was the browser would freeze after every page load. Sometimes it was so long the browser would crash.

I've got fed up with the Play X. Battery life was better and screen is brighter than the old Moto X 2014 but that is it. Don't expect a performance increase with MM because it's not there, on my Play anyway. I was tempted to sell the Play and go back to the old Moto X as still have it. Still going to sell the Play but bought an X Style off Amazon.

Pleased with the Style. Upgraded it straight Marshmallow. Battery life is good so far. 18 hour day with around 2 hours SOT and battery is 45 to 55% which is better than the Play. Doze works really well but being in my pocket on the move most of the day, standby is really good even at a site where signal is patchy.

Originally ordered a Style off Motomaker. Order was put on hold after 3 days. I phoned support and was told it was because some one with a similar name had ordered one :confused: I was assured the order would be on it's way and would be given priority. Week later it was still on hold. Rang again and this time it was a clerical mistake. Assured it would be on it's way. Few days later still on hold. Rang again and this time I was told my order would be escalated up the support chain to try and fulfill it and that I should be aware they had been extremely busy and I should take this into account :mad: By this time I'd had enough and asked to cancel the order to which they said they would try too and would it be OK to pass my order on to the cancellation team?. The order is still on hold some weeks later. Idiots or what?

Associate
Now that I've managed to get over the problems caused with the SD card I'm actually rather liking Marshmallow!

Not noticed any browser lag, and everything is snappy and smooth. I like the change to volume controls (plus the tray icon is much betterer).

Mobile signal retention seems somewhat better and from battery details then GPS seems to be limiting itself to when I'm actually using it (although with a 90 minute commute in the morning where I keep googlemaps on to spot potential traffic issues that's quite a lot!).

Will see how battery performance fares however I am down to 65% since unplugging at 0530 with 2 hours screen on time and 90 minutes of navigation/music :)

Associate
Probably more like it's price. Had a look at one a while back and thought bezels were too big and the display a little dull. Couldn't drop it (as most seem to do) as it was tethered to the counter :D

Soldato
Just to push this phone back to first page, picked up a new case and screen protector afew days back. Iv had to return the case already though it was the equivalent of a otterbox but it wouldn't snap together properly. So I'm back using my original supcase but for screen covers I got some "savvies" ones they are a 100% perfect fit with all cut outs Inc proxy sensor ones on top and bottom. Pack of 6 was 3.50 :) cant moan

Anyone recommend any good cases?

Soldato
Just to push this phone back to first page, picked up a new case and screen protector afew days back. Iv had to return the case already though it was the equivalent of a otterbox but it wouldn't snap together properly. So I'm back using my original supcase but for screen covers I got some "savvies" ones they are a 100% perfect fit with all cut outs Inc proxy sensor ones on top and bottom. Pack of 6 was 3.50 :) cant moan

Surely half the point of this phone is that it really shouldn't need a screen protector or case?

Soldato

Surely half the point of this phone is that it really shouldn't need a screen protector or case?

Sorry Unicorn, I'm an idiot. I obviously saw "Moto X Force" in the thread list before opening this and it stuck in my head when replying here. :\

Associate

I bought a i-Blason Armorbox Dual Layer Hybrid Full-body Protective Case off of Amazon. I don't know if it can be called a good case but does seem to protect the phone. Down side it bulks up the phone considerably, the 'screen protector' is a bit meh but can be removed and the port covers are a pain. They are fiddly to open and plug a usb lead in after which they aren't too keen to stay closed. In honesty I nearly always go bare :D I might have a look at the screen protectors you mention as don't have one on currently.

X Style itself I really like. Battery has been a lot better than expected. If I forget to plug it in to charge on a night then often as not only uses 2 to 4 % overnight on standby - say 11pm to 6am. During the day in my pocket on the move standby use seems very well controlled. Most days I'll only have around 2 hours SOT but end of day still well above 50% (6am to 11pm). I don't game but stream music, browse, emails, kindle and sometimes some tv etc. Display is great as are speakers (when appropriate) and phone is plenty fast enough. Can't go wrong :D

Soldato
Moto X Style down to £288 excluding delivery. With new devices around the corner I was wondering if it's worth going for it. Battery life is extremely important to me as I'm a heavy user and I'm using WhatsApp all day.

Anyone who has the X comment on the battery life after MM? I've Googled it and I'm getting varying answers.

Associate
OP
http://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-x-play

Some codes for Motomaker:

UKMUM16 = £30 off

UKWELCOME10 knocks another £10 off

koijo.jpg

Associate
Moto X Style down to £288 excluding delivery. With new devices around the corner I was wondering if it's worth going for it. Battery life is extremely important to me as I'm a heavy user and I'm using WhatsApp all day.

Anyone who has the X comment on the battery life after MM? I've Googled it and I'm getting varying answers.

If you mean another Motorola phone then I'd say probably mid summer onwards from the little I've read. Personally after my goings on ordering one direct off Motorola I doubt I might look elsewhere for a phone next time :rolleyes: but I do quite like the X Style and hopefully give me long service.

I did buy a Style off Amazon in the end. It's a good enough phone for its price, maybe even a bargain. If battery life is an issue for you then maybe 'move on, nothing to see here' :D If your a heavy user it may not last the day. I actually found it lasts the day quite easily and have had just over 5 hours SOT. My average daily is about 2 hours sot with a 17 hour day. At this, the battery is around 50% to 60% by 11pm when goes back on charge overnight. Standby is very good now on Marshmallow. If for some reason I don't charge overnight then it uses 3% in 7 hours overnight (half a percent an hour). Even day time in my pocket moving about, standby seems pretty good. The big QHD display can burn through battery but I've found it no worse than any other phone I've ever had and in a lot of ways a lot better. Keep in mind with a turbo charger or the one supplied it will juice up the battery fairly rapidly.

Anyway, I find the phone fast enough, the speakers are very good and display though not amoled is pretty sharp with good colour balance and certainly plenty bright enough of sunny days outdoors. I'd say the Samsung GS6 display being amoled has more 'pop' than the Moto but it's still a good display all told. Call quality is good too. It is big at 5.7" but I find one handed operation is still possible - unless you have small hands. I'd say it's heavier than average though.

Soldato
I can only echo the above. Great phone. Made even better with root+xposed. I get long battery life on mine i have been playing music out loud all day at work on mine through spotify and using it a lot in general today. About 8 hours music and 3 hours SOT combined :) I won't moan battery life way. Turbo charger is great anyhow so its not an issue.

Associate
Not rooted mine. In truth I've not rooted a phone for quite some time. I use Sky Go a bit and think it won't work if rooted.

I got a Nilkin glass screen protector for my Style. It fits quite well. There is a very slight edge down either side where it hasn't quite stuck down but less than a half mm and not very noticeable. I guess with rolled edges of the glass it'll be as good as it'll get. I also bought some Invisible Defender PET film protectors as was expecting not to be happy with the fit of the Nilkin but to date they're unused.

Soldato
@Richy888 I meant devices by other OEMs Mate. Thanks very much for the detailed reply about the X Style. It doesn't sound like the device for me as I'm quite a heavy user the X Play sounds like a better proposition.so I'll probably go with that until the Note 6 and Nexus devices are announced. The 32Gb can be had for £233 when you factor in the various discounts and Topcashback..

Associate
Play surprised me a little in that battery wasn't as good as I was expecting. Decent enough stop gap until you see something that will do the job. I thought you maybe meant other oem's. Style should do me for this year or at least to backend. SWMBO has an eye on my phone expenditure though the 2014 Moto x l had for over a year. The Play only 3 months as wasn't keen on it. Family member borrowed it as sent their samsung for repair. Once I get it back I'll sell it and put funds to next phone :D

Need to get a few more posts in here for members market, otherwise it'll be eBay :eek:

Back
Top Bottom