*** Motorola Moto X Style/Play Thread ***

Soldato
Just had a play delivered today. Its a nice phone but I'm finding the camera struggles a bit in lower light situations. I took it out today and some of the pics I took are a bit disappointing. Tbh although lower mega pixel the G3 camera is a much better all rounder for me. The Play seems to take a while to focus if the light is not perfect whereas the G3 is very quick. Apart from that it's a great phone very snappy.

The Play has a much better signal in weaker areas than the G3 which is horrendous. Sat here the play has a decent signal with 3G the G3 is dropping in and out intermittently.

The battery life is also miles better as well...

I think I need to have a play with the camera settings as Stulids pics above look better than mine. Hopefully it's just me as apart from the low light camera shots being a bit pants it's a great phone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Read an article this morning about how the XPlay doesn't have the "chop" torch gesture because it doesn't have a gyro.

Could the one of the guys with the phone confirm?

Thanks!!

Caporegime
Read an article this morning about how the XPlay doesn't have the "chop" torch gesture because it doesn't have a gyro.

Could the one of the guys with the phone confirm?

Thanks!!

It doesnt chop but there must be a gyro as you wiggle it to quick start the camera and if you move it the screen quickly comes alive to show the time.

Soldato
It doesnt chop but there must be a gyro as you wiggle it to quick start the camera and if you move it the screen quickly comes alive to show the time.

Thanks for the reply Stu but that could be achieved with accelerometers only.

Can you try taking a photosphere with the google camera app? As far as I know that requires the gyro.

Associate
The Play does not have a gyroscope..... Just found that out. :(

No I read it doesn't and doesn't have the 'double chop' to activate the 'torch' mode. Bit of a disappointment but not the end of the world. As some of the reviews say it's not really a Moto X but more something between the Moto G and Moto X. Bigger battery, better camera and I've read a really bright screen could have made it my next phone but it still feels a step backwards :mad:

I'd like to think that the true Moto X 2014 replacement is the Moto X Style but I think it could be too big for my use. Never say never though and see what it's like when it's released. I thought the step up from Moto X 2013 to 2014 was too much size wise and yet I wouldn't go back to a 4.7" display now :cool:

Caporegime
Just seen Moto have a Xplay flip case now listed for sale.

Only downside is they want £30 for it.

----------------------

Heres some pics taken (again resized) this morning on the sea front,

IMG_20150827_100155912_zpspai95m8n.jpg~original

IMG_20150827_100215476_zps1mnkotyu.jpg~original

IMG_20150827_100411612_zpsx65lpl2o.jpg~original

IMG_20150827_100513672_zpsacxigi7w.jpg~original

IMG_20150827_100614430_zpspujtpnbw.jpg~original

Associate
Camera is looking quite good, what battery life are you seeing with this?

How does it feel in the hand as well? as im worried about the thickness and weight (coming from an Nexus 5 which is lighter, thinner etc)

Back
Top Bottom