Motors - review my car website

seems to be on the right track :)

keep it up and keep us posted OP

certainly be a useful tool when car hunting

as mentioned try and add gumtree and or offer ads on your site, even one or two free ads on your site and you'll start getting more and more :)

As for APIs - only eBay have one. So you can guess what was involved; not really sure what will pan out with this, just playing it by ear. It's not like I am stealing their content and representing it as my own.

I'm guessing you will be using "HTTPWebRequest" and "HTTPWebResponse" then to get the page data from the sites and extracting the information from the returned HTML? If this is so, surly your site will break if say pistonheads changes the UI of their site? Im only guessing here but that could lead to a lot of upkeep in the future.

The other issue is if they wanted to stop you getting the data, surly they could just block the ip's of your web hosting. Granted it wont really be an issue atm but if your site takes off I'm guessing it could be one.

I'm not trying to put a downer on what you have done, I actually like the idea of the site, but these may become issues in the future.

PH is being really slow tonight... fells like about 50% of the pages I request come back with an error, so it's probably not flat-6's site that's the issue.

Really nice idea but I'd echo post 22 - if/when it gets a lot of traffic and you get noticed by the third parties you're scraping data from they'll just block your server's IP address.

Have considered all the things you bring up re blocking and them changing their pages of course. Just have to deal with it when it comes along.

I mean worst comes to the worst I could rewrite all scraping code using JQuery - then what would they do, if it was all client side?

But in reality I wouldn't do anything like that, if I get asked not to do it, I probably wouldn't.

If its a success it should drive them more traffic, and they still get impressions for their ads. I don't really see a significant downside for any of them.

I'm guessing you will be using "HTTPWebRequest" and "HTTPWebResponse" then to get the page data from the sites and extracting the information from the returned HTML? If this is so, surly your site will break if say pistonheads changes the UI of their site? Im only guessing here but that could lead to a lot of upkeep in the future.

The other issue is if they wanted to stop you getting the data, surly they could just block the ip's of your web hosting. Granted it wont really be an issue atm but if your site takes off I'm guessing it could be one.

I'm not trying to put a downer on what you have done, I actually like the idea of the site, but these may become issues in the future.

On the other hand they might appreciate the extra traffic he is driving ti their sites ?

Nice idea btw, i like it.

Personally do not like the default values. Personally I'd like them to be fully extended to start with. Then I can choose to narrow them if i wish. Rather than HAVING to change them if that makes sense?

Looks fab though. Good work!

Ta

Alec

Awesome website and one I would defonatly use!

Only problem I seem to be having is it doesnt seem to show Autotrader very often...It shows all the ebay and pistonhead adverts fine.

I find this an excellent idea and believe this can go bigtime.

it works ok, though not bringing many results. Can you also add Exchange & Mart and Gumtree. The former has loads of cars for sale.

Would be good if you could multi select models from the same manufacturer. For instance, I might look to view 3 and 5 series results in the same search

Also, I click on the results, but it doesn't take me to the same car on the respective website.

Also, I click on the results, but it doesn't take me to the same car on the respective website.
Details/screenshot of this? Sounds weird.

Gumtree and Exchange & Mart are on the list. Dunno what their market share is but must be pretty small compared to the three I have already.

I am just lacking the time to do this stuff, so anyone who wants to work on this with me please get in touch. I want to start a company, quit my job, and take over world.*

* This may not be possible on 20p a day adsense rev

Well you have the important big three, but with the option to add other sites will appeal more. The more options the better I say, maybe just keep the big three as default setting with option to add.

Also why is your site .co instead of .co.uk? never seen that before.

Good luck with this idea.

Back
Top Bottom