Motors - review my car website

Update time!

I've added an advanced search as requested by lots of people. It doesn't work on PH as their search is so simple unfortunately.

The mileage seems a bit ropey on AutoTrader results, but I'm building the URL correctly so thinking it must be them returning results when they shouldn't.

Let me know how you get on with it: http://carspy.co

It would be cool if you could have a checkbox or similar to either 'keep' or 'ignore' a car on the list. Then each day when you run the search again, those that you have ticked as ignore would either not show or be greyed out.

Have thought about something along those lines, like an eBay saved search that did email alerts when new cars matched your criteria - how about that?

why are there 2 steps between the prices on the selector - for e.g. 4k move to right - still on 4k?

Cos of the way I've made the sliders non-linear this is sort of unavoidable. I have to translate the step on the slider, run it through some exponential algorithm to get the price-curve, and then round it to the nearest £1000.

.co addresses sound like a good idea but it just seems to confuse most people i give them too, they always end up thinking you mean .com or .co.uk, even when they have an email from the address lol!

.co addresses sound like a good idea but it just seems to confuse most people i give them too, they always end up thinking you mean .com or .co.uk, even when they have an email from the address lol!
Yeah this is true, and will be true of any new TLD. But then again you can't get good six-letter domains in .com land for $8. It's a trade-off.

In other news, amazingly it looks like I am going to be on This Week In Startups tomorrow asking about SEO for the CarSpy blog.

If you're interested it'll be on from 9pm on http://www.ustream.tv/thisweekin

Dont know if this has been pointed out,

Ont he selector for manufacturer, when I select list and hit M to jump to the correct section it justs highlights Manufacturer.
Good spot on this one, will think what I can do about it.

Would be handy to put a filter that only showed results from private sellers, or at least distinguish between the trade and private sellers.
Will try and add this to advanced search. I like to ignore trade ads too.

------

Major update published tonight. Review links added, and the all important Google+1 button. Added a ton of missing models (mostly boring stuff) but it's more complete now.

Thanks for all your support people. Got some good traction from that web show I was on so trying to build on that.

This is a cracking idea, but you need to consider a means to cache the data you are pulling, or even some pre-emptive caching based on popular searches.

This will speed up the search massively for a large number of users and potentially reduce your impact on the likes of AT and PH.

Just checking out this site as I'm on the hunt for a new car. Why don't sites let you search by combined MPG?

I would like to know what sort of Saloons are available that do 40+ MPG but am not bothered if they are petrol or diesel.

Can you add this option to your site?

Just checking out this site as I'm on the hunt for a new car. Why don't sites let you search by combined MPG?

I would like to know what sort of Saloons are available that do 40+ MPG but am not bothered if they are petrol or diesel.

Can you add this option to your site?
AutoTrader have that data for most cars (but seemingly only on the individual advert page, so you'd need to crawl the whole thing and build a DB), but PistonHeads and eBay simply don't have it stored against the adverts.

Back
Top Bottom