Motors YouTube Videos

Caporegime
He may not want to pay the balloon....

Which is fine if he then goes onto to buy another car outright or with a loan but if he is just going into another lease the debt is still there it is just on another car. It is no different to someone just paying the interest on their credit cards but leaving the balance alone. At some point he will either have to keep the debt rolling or have no car unless he chooses to purchase.

Caporegime
*goes off to have an entertaining morning read* :)

EDIT - I've moved it to the Motors archive because it's a classic -

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/pics-of-my-new-car.18019506/

You laugh, but I almost got caught out in the same trap as that poor kid. I was 21-22 at the time, fresh in the UK and had no credit history. I wanted a new car so I approached ACF (approved car finance) who said they'd be able to help me out. I spoke to them over the phone, the guy asked what I wanted and I said something like a BMW 318CI. He said that shouldn't be a problem and I should come by. Being stupid, young and not knowing what I was getting myself in to, I went along all naive looking forward to getting a new car. I arrived (I had a Corsa at the time) and outside stood a BMW 318CI. I thought great, they must've brought it out for me to have a look at and a test drive. Before I even shut my own car's door I was approached by a chap with a clipboard. I asked him about the BMW and he said it was his, but they have other stock inside. He walked around the Corsa making notes of every little scratch and whatnot. He then took my drivers' license, proof of address and took me in to their showroom (this should've been a flag but I was so overcome by excitement that I just let it roll, silly me). He said I could browse the cars and he'd be back in a minute. The cars in the showroom were all bottom of the barrel rubbish. Funny enough the only one I was even remotely interested in was a Clio, also a 1.2. Can't remember the trim level. I took a closer look, it had hubcaps and keep-fit windows!. The guy came back and offered me a deal. I could buy the Clio for £6k and pay it off over 5 years. He offered me £150 part-ex for my Corsa. I quickly crunched some numbers and calculated that the Clio would cost £12k over the whole term. I managed to see the light and turned them down. I requested my documents back and wanted to leave. The chap says ok he'll go get them.

A few minutes later another chap comes downstairs sans documents, and starts offering me more aggressive deals. Already fed up with all the red flags I just wanted to get out of there but this guy wouldn't let go. It took another 4-5 attempts from him and me saying no before I threatened to call the cops, at which point he finally went to get my documents and gave them to me.

Quite a learning experience that was. Here I was thinking that I'd be fairly safe from this kind of practice only to find that it's absolutely rife with it. That GOD I learned the way I did otherwise who knows where I'd be today.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Whatever, man. If the dude wants to blow £12k a year on an RS3, let him. Clearly he thinks it's worth spending a grand a month on a car, and has enough disposable income to allow him to do so.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Jesus christ, I can usually watch any videos that are car related and find them interesting but that bloke waffling on about financing his Audi is some dull drivel.

This blokes channel however is absolutely fascinating and criminally underviewed. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl9I7RgD0i7JZ58CK17kKHQ

Start with this video and watch them all, fantastic - the exact antithesis of the many awful daily vlogs about some bloody leased car.

OcUK Staff
Accelerates pretty well in the wet. :D

Mods start next week, by next weekend car should weigh around 50kg less. 2PC brakes and Lithium Ion battery.

Soldato
ruined by music but I love the sound of the alfa 156, 90% of the enjoyment of most cars in a busy town

To the advanced driver. Yes I could see it being a rather interesting feature. However, this car (and cars like it). Won't be purchased by many advanced drivers. Or driver's who can fully appreciate such a feat.... So yeah. I think it's pretty pointless.

AWD would be useful for anyone on the basis of not crashing :D There might be all kinds of electronic adjustments to improve safety now but I'd love the AWD option for a daily driver on every road condition.

Try putting this question to anyone who drives RWD every day for every journey and I think the AWD is a nice option. Is it worth the extra cost is another question.

https://youtu.be/P99pPd6oxHM?t=416
yea thats nonsense but also its personal choice how he wastes the money and nobody needs a car like that. At some point he'll get rid of the car or default. He'll be driving a micra and happy enough sitting in traffic anyway I imagine, so in way could he be better off then someone who buys outright maybe but probably not. Legally the finance company is the owner, he is the owner of the loan balance :p

Anyone who has a really nice motor and never tracks it is wasting it anyway I figure. I'd never criticise someone what they do with their cash. Bradford and Bingley went under holding GM loans from USA, so yea at some point its a bad business. AFAIK its very leveraged now and likely to fall apart in any squeeze, the underlying asset in no way is justified like a house vs mortgage.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Was on track with a few F-Types today... They sound bloody crazy!!!!!1

The noise is a huge part of the fun and a V8 NA or with SC is hard to beat. Jaguar really made them sound pretty crazy but I am so glad they did, first car I've ever owned and I feel no need for an after market exhaust. :)

Soldato
ruined by music but I love the sound of the alfa 156, 90% of the enjoyment of most cars in a busy town

I enjoyed the time I had with my 156 v6 but never felt really fast. The engine was fairly flat and you had to proper work it hard through the gears to the red line. Your average diesel would burn it everytime unless you dropped a few cogs.

Man of Honour
While watching some videos today, I came across this on the related videos section and thought it would be worth watching.

The slow start is quite striking. Apparently it was running on off the shelf tyres and this was also part of testing of the tires since there wasn't any real data on them for very high speed. They didn't have many spares and the nearest shop was quite some distance away (middle of nowhere, USA - population some lizards), so they were being very cautious and didn't use full power until close to 200mph.

Back
Top Bottom