Motors YouTube Videos

OcUK Staff
Nothing more than a gimmick imo. Either make the car RWD or AWD. How many of their customers will actually throw it into RWD for a hoon?

How can something be considered a gimmick, never heard such a stupid statement in my life. On a hot dry day rolling being in RWD will result in a nicer handling balance, more feel and more fun. Then in not so ideal conditions you can go into 4WD for confident inspiring AWD grip, or if your a loon or a hoon, keep it RWD and just slide everywhere.

It is far from a gimmick, it is a bloody brilliant and great solution that gives you two cars in one. RWD for balance and fun, AWD for when conditions are not so great and your lacking the talent behind the wheel. I often in the wet put the SVR in wet mode so I can properly hoon it around and in the dry throw it in dynamic so its steering from the rear more, certainly no gimmick to me but a very useful feature and in the BMW and Merc its even better.

Soldato
To the advanced driver. Yes I could see it being a rather interesting feature. However, this car (and cars like it). Won't be purchased by many advanced drivers. Or driver's who can fully appreciate such a feat.... So yeah. I think it's pretty pointless.

Soldato
BMW got it spot on by have 4WD, 4WD sport and then 2WD modes. In some ways it gives you two cars in one! :)
The E63S has this. In fact, Merc were doing it before BMW.

But yeah, it's a nice touch even though I'd have thought most people won't ever do it.

The track mode in the E63S is really nice too. It comes with a tonne of tracks pre-programmed or you can have it learn the track. It'll store all of your data too so you can compare it with other track days. Seems a bit of a crazy feature to have on a 4-door saloon! :D

OcUK Staff
Ford were doing before aswell.

Only in their trucks I thought?
My mate has one of their pickups which is fun as you can make it RWD or 4WD and as he enjoys drifting he often has it in RWD mode and very sideways whilst he is driving around in it and then when he us using it for work, muddy fields the 4WD is perfect. Did not know Ford had it on some cars though?

Caporegime
I guess he still lives at home ? Crazy amount of money really and the second video of justification of it is rather long. But didn’t really convince me it was good value

Did he mention the APR on it.

Soldato
In before: "Or, you know, any real four-wheel-drive vehicle (i.e. one with a transfer case) made since the year dot." :D :p
Yeah, but even they're only really 2 wheel drive, or 3 wheel drive if you have a proper locking diff. For it to be a TRUE 4 wheel drive you have to have a transfer case AND locking front and rear differential!

That said, the modern 4WD cars such as Evoque etc. are exceptionally capable off-road despite not being REAL 4WD (as above). I've done three Land Rover experience days, 1 in RRS, 1 in Evoque and 1 in a Defender and they're all incredible vehicles.

Caporegime
To the advanced driver. Yes I could see it being a rather interesting feature. However, this car (and cars like it). Won't be purchased by many advanced drivers. Or driver's who can fully appreciate such a feat.... So yeah. I think it's pretty pointless.

There are plenty of cars that have this feature just in a different orientation. Haldex for example offers the economy of fwd while giving AWD grip in slippy conditions. I am also quite surprised it has taken this long for mainstream manufacturers to adopt a Rwd biased AWD system. Nissan have had it in their cars for almost 30 years with the attesa system.

Caporegime
I guess he still lives at home ? Crazy amount of money really and the second video of justification of it is rather long. But didn’t really convince me it was good value

Did he mention the APR on it.

It's people like this why we had the financial crash of 07. (I wouldn't be surprised if we have another coming shortly). Flame me but I absolute hate it when people try and buy stuff they simply cannot afford.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
It's people like this why we had the financial crash of 07. (I wouldn't be surprised if we have another coming shortly). Flame me but I absolute hate it when people try and buy stuff they simply cannot afford.
You can't make blanket statements like that though. I agree with your sentiment, but context is everything. Are you talking about the sort of people who can barely afford to feed their kids, yet have the latest iPhone on finance?

I just bought a new car. The POS it replaces is worth around £2k tops, so it's something for similar money was not going to happen. Could I afford the £20k car I replaced it with had I bought it outright? Not without selling a lot of assets I don't want to sell.
Could I afford the £20k car by repaying a very low interest loan for just over £300 a month? Yes.

Does this make me a moron for buying something I cannot afford? No, I don't think so, because I got an excellent deal and I can comfortably afford the monthly repayments. It's not like I'm that kid who bought a £5,000 Clio from Carcraft for £13,000 all those years ago :p

Commissario
Does this make me a moron for buying something I cannot afford? No, I don't think so, because I got an excellent deal and I can comfortably afford the monthly repayments. It's not like I'm that kid who bought a £5,000 Clio from Carcraft for £13,000 all those years ago :p

*goes off to have an entertaining morning read* :)

EDIT - I've moved it to the Motors archive because it's a classic -

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/pics-of-my-new-car.18019506/

Soldato

But he says he can afford it. And that he has a mortgage... I peroperson think it's nuts to dish out that sort of money each month.... On a car.

Each to their own I guess

Caporegime
You can't make blanket statements like that though. I agree with your sentiment, but context is everything. Are you talking about the sort of people who can barely afford to feed their kids, yet have the latest iPhone on finance?

I just bought a new car. The POS it replaces is worth around £2k tops, so it's something for similar money was not going to happen. Could I afford the £20k car I replaced it with had I bought it outright? Not without selling a lot of assets I don't want to sell.
Could I afford the £20k car by repaying a very low interest loan for just over £300 a month? Yes.

Buying a car using a loan that you intend to keep is a different matter. But renting a RS3 to act cool when you do not really have the capital to purchase it outright is different. I will eat my hat if he is able to pay the balloon payment at the end.

Back
Top Bottom