Motorsport Manager

Man of Honour
This is so incredibly polished now. Interesting AI strategies all round, much better pit mechanic, even better UI. Will finish with my GT team and will then get the endurance DLC. Hadn't touched this since early in the year, it is great to see it supported so much by the dev team.

Soldato
This is so incredibly polished now. Interesting AI strategies all round, much better pit mechanic, even better UI. Will finish with my GT team and will then get the endurance DLC. Hadn't touched this since early in the year, it is great to see it supported so much by the dev team.

Good to know - I haven't played in ages either - Think it might be time to get back into it this weekend :D

Soldato
Had a quick go last night with the update, and it's certainly improved. Still plenty more could be done, but it's getting better.
I like the new pit crew features and management, that could add more fun/frustration/strategy to the races :).

Soldato
Just got this today any tips?
I was going to write a list of tips, but realised that it would be quite long and takes ages. There are plenty of helpful posts on the Steam discussion page for Motorsport Manger, but here are a few from me...

For the first season, you won't be anywhere near the top, so concentrate on reliabillity of parts to start with (get up to at least 80%). With your basic factory, you'll only be able to improve performance or reliability of 4 parts at a time, and you'll have 12 parts that need improving. Engine and gearbox to start with!

Continually build new parts but be aware of your finances. I think you can go £5m in debt but it isn't necessarily a good thing to do. I think the engine and gerarbox are the most important parts but they are the most expensive. You can get a very quick car just by developing the engine and gearbox and no other part, but this weeks update has changed cornering to reduce the importance of engine over wings (which makes sense) so this may affect the importance of the engine. When you do build new parts, for the first season I'd chose immediate performance increase over potential increase - for example, when you build an engine, you may get the choice of Top Speed: +20, or Top Speed: 25+ to max. The first one is automatically added to the engine performance, the 2nd is added to the engine potential which means once it is build, you will have to assign as Race Mechanic to increase the base performance up to the potential. If you do this, you'll have less time to spend on the reliability, and I think reliability is more important to start with as it means you'll be able to use the part earlier.

Continually scout all the drivers you can as you will need to replace yours at the end of the season. If you find a good one during the season, it may be beneficial to pay off an existing driver to bring the new one in straight away. Keep an eye out for drivers who pay you to drive for them, this can really help financially. Also ones with high marketability will increase the level of sponsors you can use, and you will need the sponsors money to help you through the season.

Upgrading the Factory is expensive but it is important if you can afford it. I also find the forecasting centre helpful as you'll see weather changes during the race earlier.

At the end of the season, only the parts on your car are carried over to the next season, so if you build risky parts and don't use them, make sure you put them on the car before the end of the season otherwise you'll lose them.

A little bit of a cheat, but once you've upgraded the HQ part buildings so you can build realyl good parts (probably season 3 onwards), you can build very risky parts towards the end of the season but don't use them. Then after the last race put them on your cars so they are carried over to the new season. At the start of the new season, they will lose their risk levels.

I wouldn't be tempted by new parts with bonus increases for specific tyre compounds, weather conditions, or race sessions as that feature doesn't carry over to the next season.

Don't worry about a reserve driver to start with, they are a waste of money.

It may be a bit of a cheat, but during the practice session, you can send your drivers out and then call them back in before they complete a lap. Doing this will greatly improve your ability to find the best setup for them as they will give you feedback straight away.

For finding the best setup, I always start with the setup of each componant at one extreme so that I only really have to move the slider one way. I usually use 1 click for 1 level of improvement, as in to move from OK to Good, or Good to Great. You may then need tiny changes to get from Great to Excellent.

During the race, don't push your tyres too hard. Try to keep the temp just under the red zone for best consistant performance and durability.

I always start the race with the driver set to Attack and Overtake for the first lap. I usually then put them back to Push until the tyres start to get too hot, and High (assuming the part reliability is above 80%).

I wouldn't let your tyre wear go below 20%. Any lower than that and you'll start to suffer a lot with lap times. If it says a set of tyres will last 20-24 laps, they will probably last 18 laps at best.

Time your pit stops well for weather changes. The AI has been improved here, but you can still make good time if pit at the right point. I can't tell you exactly when to pit, you'll learn it - how far round the lap your drivers are, how heavy the rain is going to be etc...

I generally put a lap or 2 extra fuel in so that I can push the engine (once reliability is above 80%). When reliability is low, put less fuel in and you'll save on the lap time. You will also have to repair parts so can refuel then.

You can be a bit more risky for the first couple of races of a season when everyones reliability is low, and the AI has to make more stops for repairs. You will generally get better finishes doing this at the start of a season.

Don't stack in the pits unless you have to (changing weather).

If you're unsure about the weather, use 2 different strategies for your drivers so you have options.

If there are 3 dry laps at the start of the race and it is due to rain, and my drivers are starting near the top of the grid, I risk starting on the softest tyres. The AI will sometimes start on intermediates so I do this to try and get my drivers past as many other cars as possible. (be warned that it is a risk and doesn't always work).

Another bit of a cheat, but on several tracks (Doha and Belgium mainly), you can make up places by doing a pit stop when the safety car is out.

Another game strategy is to not worry too much about your car and drivers just upgrade your HQ for the first couple of seasons (factory, design centre, test track, other part improvement buildings). Set your chairmans expectations low at the start of each season so you don't get sacked, and by the 3rd season you should be able to build a decent car with good drivers and be straight in the mix for top spots.

I've ended up writing a lot more than I thought I would. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong or add their own tips :).

Associate
Thanks Flibster, I decided to give this a go at the price you linked.

Started in tier 3 with ZRT (so one from bottom :D) and only done a couple of races but it's good. Felt like I earnt my points last race where I came 8th as a team, so one up from my overall season expectation of 9th. Small difference but feels like a lot. Managed to time my pit stops fairly well for a wet/dry race but reliability of something always ends up causing a long pit stop at least once.

Man of Honour
Don't worry about a reserve driver to start with, they are a waste of money.

Get a pay driver in your reserve slot and run them in practice - much needed cash in the beginning.

Race 9 of 10 in season 1 of my GT team and I somehow managed a 2nd place. I was very proud :D

Will get them to the top and will then move onto the endurance DLC.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Have been promoted in the GT league after season 2. Was expecting to do badly, but finished the championship in 2nd! Will work to the top and am then going to pick up the endurance DLC.

Soldato
Got this today but been struggling. Done 3 races and been in the bottom 4 each time. Always seem to be doing well and then something on the car will break resulting in an unplanned pitstop of like 30seconds+

Back
Top Bottom