Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Caporegime
FIA has agreed to postpone the introduction of head protection until 2018.

And, with the exception of the formation lap, there are now no restrictions on radio or pit board communications between the driver and the team.

The former, meh. The latter, yay!

Side note, the first person to complain the drivers are being helped by their engineers gets a slap!

Soldato
I am happy that the radio is back, The ban on driver coaching was a good idea implemented badly, and ended up just being a huge hinderance to good racing.
Look forward to hearing much more open radio comms this weekend.

Man of Honour
wow they've done something sensible.

for the love of god can we get rid of the two tyre compound rule. would open up so much more strategy.

Soldato
Well that's a shame they have fully reversed the radio rule. Happy for technical help to be allowed to the drivers of there is a problem but I seriously hope we don't see a return of driver coaching, that was shockingly bad. Lift in to turn X, break 10ft sooner in to turn y, that business has no place in the sport.

Jenson don't shift, nico driver default 01 both acceptable and shouldn't have gone punished.

Soldato
So now they're promising wet standing starts from next year? Is that two sensible moves in as many days/hours?!

I get the feeling someone actually stood up in a meeting somewhere and said "this is ridiculous".

Soldato
Rosberg must be feeling a little irked at losing points to something that was abolished only a few weeks later. Button will be happy he got his point across tho.

On the flipside, I expect the double-waved yellows to be clarified soon as meaning what everyone always thought it meant - slow right down and be prepared to stop, in which case he'd have got away with that at Hungary. Swings and roundabouts.

Still consider it disgraceful that his pathetic lift was considered sufficient. That there ended up not being an obstruction or marshalls on the track is irrelevant. Imagine if there had been and he'd been unable to stop and hit them - does anyone really believe the subsequent investigation would have laid the blame anywhere else other than Rosberg? They'd have said he ignored the double-waved yellows and was thus directly responsible for the crash. That he lucked out and there was nothing there to hit doesn't change his actions.

Soldato
I'm on the fence on this one. The radio ban was a good idea but done very, very badly.

It's surely not hard to say to the engineers that you can tell the driver how to deal with a mechanical issue or how far ahead/behind a rival is, but you can't tell them where to brake, how much fuel to save, where to deploy ERS, where their teammate is faster etc.

I fully expect Massa and Rosberg, amongst others, to be having their arses wiped for them on the radio this weekend.

Caporegime
So now they're promising wet standing starts from next year? Is that two sensible moves in as many days/hours?!

I get the feeling someone actually stood up in a meeting somewhere and said "this is ridiculous".

Don't get too far ahead of yourself. We will probably still see far to many pointless laps behind the safety car, and then the grid all forced to do a standing start on Wets on a track that is ready for Inters or maybe even slicks.

The rolling start wasn't the problem, it was the lap after lap of pointless wasted time that was, and this change of rules wont nessasarily get rid of that.

Soldato
Rosberg must be feeling a little irked at losing points to something that was abolished only a few weeks later. Button will be happy he got his point across tho.

how irked do you think Hamilton feels, considering he could easily have been 2nd not 4th in Baku had he been told how to solve the problem instead of having to struggle around for 14 laps and then just settle back to finish 4th even with 10 laps to go.

Caporegime
In the latest episodes of "Rules that have been adjusted following Rosberg getting let off lightly", any Qualifying lap now set while driving through a double yellow flag zone will be deleted, which removes any incentive for a driver to drive through the zone quickly.

Back
Top Bottom