Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Imagine an engine blowing up infront of you and your screen being covered by an opaque layer of oil. Seems a bit dodge.
It's a tricky situation. You've got to balance the chances of a smack on the head (of which there has been a greatly increasing number over recent years) against the danger posed by other elements (ending up upside down on fire (microscopic chance these days - when was the last crash which resulted in a car in a serious fire?) or engine oil, in which most cases wouldn't pose an immediate danger, but might have lasting issues resulting in a pitstop or something).

Then again there's no reason why wipers can't can used, as in LMP1. It can't even be too difficult to make a series of tear-offs that can be triggered from the cockpit.

Caporegime
I also agree but then you get the drivers and purists saying F1 should always be open cockpit and for safety in case a car rolls over. Funny how LMP cars seem to manage just fine? They do multi-class racing, for far longer than any F1 car or driver does yet I've never heard of any LMP driver being stuck inside a car?

Man of Honour
I also agree but then you get the drivers and purists saying F1 should always be open cockpit and for safety in case a car rolls over. Funny how LMP cars seem to manage just fine? They do multi-class racing, for far longer than any F1 car or driver does yet I've never heard of any LMP driver being stuck inside a car?
Doors that open sideways that also still have a roof vs a canopy that with either in it's entirety hinge up, sideways or slide forward.

I know which would be easier to get out of while upside down or say... against the barriers at Monaco.

Caporegime
Doors that open sideways that also still have a roof vs a canopy that with either in it's entirety hinge up, sideways or slide forward.

I know which would be easier to get out of while upside down or say... against the barriers at Monaco.

The Mercedes SLS has gull wing doors with small explosive bolts in the hinges that activate if the car is upside down. I'm sure they could come with something similar.

Soldato
McNish was stuck in his R18 after his horror crash at Le Mans in 2011, but I can't immediately think of many others. I think Webber's the Mercedes in 1999.

I can't remember an F1 car upside down and on fire since Roger Williamson's terrible crash in 1973. The chances of it happening now are tiny to the point of it barely being a factor worth considering.

I think the only F1 crash resulting in any real fire in recent years was Webber when an oil line broke in the collision, and that shouldn't be a serious issue providing the marshalls aren't a complete shambles like they were on that day.

Man of Honour
The Mercedes SLS has gull wing doors with small explosive bolts in the hinges that activate if the car is upside down. I'm sure they could come with something similar.

Hmmm... With the SLS there was still a roof once you had removed the doors, and the bolts were designed to just break the hinges so the doors can be pushed away from the car body.

With an F1 car, unless they raise the roll structure and as such the overall height of the the car, it will be laying on the canopy. They'd be better off with something along the line of the canopy explosives in military aircraft. Shatter the canopy. But then you've got shards of that moving about at speed...

Caporegime
Hmmm... With the SLS there was still a roof once you had removed the doors, and the bolts were designed to just break the hinges so the doors can be pushed away from the car body.

With an F1 car, unless they raise the roll structure and as such the overall height of the the car, it will be laying on the canopy. They'd be better off with something along the line of the canopy explosives in military aircraft. Shatter the canopy. But then you've got shards of that moving about at speed...

They could easily make the regulations state that there must be a flat surface of a specific size above the drivers head but below the air intake and rollhoop and mandate a specific type of bolt and attachment that can be triggered by the driver or by a marshall.

Soldato
They could easily make the regulations state that there must be a flat surface of a specific size above the drivers head but below the air intake and rollhoop and mandate a specific type of bolt and attachment that can be triggered by the driver or by a marshall.

And what happens if the bolt and attachment failed?
And before you say "military spec" they have failed on Jet fighters.
The LMP windscreen angle is no where near what a F1 is and that's why wipers work.

Back
Top Bottom