Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
If you could rewind time and offer Massa a halo for that instance you know he would take it.

How would a halo of stopped a bolt going through? Maybe by pure luck it would have been straight down the middle and glanced off, but chances are it wouldn't have. It's designed to stop wheels and other large objects. The Halo is never going to protect the driver from Debris.

I'm not against it from a safety perspective, but suggesting it will protect against everything is just rubbish.

Soldato
How would a halo of stopped a bolt going through? Maybe by pure luck it would have been straight down the middle and glanced off, but chances are it wouldn't have. It's designed to stop wheels and other large objects. The Halo is never going to protect the driver from Debris.

I'm not against it from a safety perspective, but suggesting it will protect against everything is just rubbish.
A bolt? It was a whacking great antiroll bar spring which crushed a portion of his helmet!

massa_spring.jpg

massa_spring2.jpg

The halo might not have stopped it, granted, as I've said throughout, but there's a bloody big chance it would have too.

Soldato
If you could rewind time and offer Massa a halo for that instance you know he would take it.

And when you turn back the clock, will you tell Massa it won't stop a spring?

I could have made things worse. I could have bounced off Massa on to the Failo and bounced back to Massa.
There is nothing in the know universe that can stop a freak accident. Well other then don't race.

Caporegime

More people have been hurt or killed by getting hit in the head in top-level motorsport than have been seriously burned by fire or injured in any other way in the past decade or so.

Also remember that Indycar are looking at a form of cockpit protection too and are monitoring F1's tests - Dan Wheldon was killed (not likely to help him given the brutality of his accident) and Justin Wilson was hit on the head with a nose cone and died as a result too - the halo would have almost certainly deflected the nose cone and almost certainly have saved his life.

Henry Surtees would likely still be with us too (and the plan is for lower formula to follow F1 ultimately).

What if it hit it the halo at an angle and it deflected into his chest killing him? I think something like that is very possible with the way this is designed. The canopy type thing looked much better and I think would have provided much better protection. It is a shame it didn't work out.

It seems like a knee jerk reaction. Racing cars around at 200mph is dangerous and all the safety tech in the world isn't going to stop someone still getting hurt.

Soldato
And when you turn back the clock, will you tell Massa it won't stop a spring?
You did see the size of the spring, yes? Big thing, about 6 inches long and 3 inches thick. I think it would have stood a bloody good chance of knocking it out of the way.

halo.jpg

Of course, in theory it could make things worse but the chances of that are surely outweighed by the protection otherwise offered? I'm sure all of that has been factored into the research the labs have been doing.

Please don't misunderstand me, I don't like or want the halo either, but to cross our fingers and hope nothing happens again is foolhardy and how most F1 tragedies come about, and when the next happens and nothing had been done that could have in theory protected from it or minimised the danger, then it is unacceptable, as it was for Bianchi. We will eventually have something and hopefully it's not another driver's death that forces it.

F1 is usually reactive and rarely proactive. The relative lack of head protection needs to change in light of the incidents of the last decade - be it the halo or something else.

Soldato
A bolt? It was a whacking great antiroll bar spring which crushed a portion of his helmet!
Ah thanks for correcting me, for some reason I just have bolt in my mind :/ Bonkers that something like that came off the back of another car :eek:

Despite that, I'd say it's still a toss up as to whether the Halo would have helped. Who knows in the scheme of things.

Soldato
One of the biggest risks surely has to be another car entering the cockpit which has had quite a few near misses over the years by sheer luck. That things going to do naff all about that apart from sheer off and whack the driver in the head or potentially get the car flying over the tops nose stuck in it instead of it flying over the top of the driver.

Soldato
Liberty reaping the rewards of years of Bernie screwing people over! We’ll see how true to their word they are with regards to wanting to keep the classics on the calendar.

They already said they won't lower the charge to tracks. That's why they wanted a week of fun and games at every GP.
Which to me is a bit silly as that in it's self is going to cost a person extra.

Caporegime
They already said they won't lower the charge to tracks. That's why they wanted a week of fun and games at every GP.
Which to me is a bit silly as that in it's self is going to cost a person extra.
But if the race is a sell out, how many more tickets can they sell? I believe the answer is none?

Soldato
Is Spa the next track to go?
"Despite the increase in spectators, the grand prix made a 8.62 million Euro loss in 2016 compared to 6.78 million Euro in 2015"

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/belgian-gp-sellout-verstappen-mania-spa-933035/
No, because their government pays the deficit. They do that because of the economic benefit to the region. So the track doesn't lose any money on the F1 and the region gains EUR 20m~ in benefit. If they did pull the plug on that funding then they might be in trouble.

It's frustrating to see the greed of F1 so flamboyantly displayed that they're happy to force their venues out of profit.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Liberty could and should just tear up all of Bernies contracts and start afresh. After all, the circuits don't want to pay the fees... it's only them who'd be pursuing the fees. Mutual agreement and renegotiate with each circuit tbh.

Soldato
So Charlie Whiting says the Halo as been tested at a speed of 140 Mph!

"Halo is twice as strong as the current roll structure and has passed real-world tests using a 20kg wheel assembly fired at 225 kph. “It’s a very, very strong thing,” Whiting commented."

So if anything hits it going over 140 Mph it will fail.
And because it can only protect to the speed of 140 Mph, are the FIA going to limit the cars speed next?

Soldato
I used to be a massive F1 fan back in the late 80s and 90s. Just the occasionally look-in now. The danger, competitiveness and drama of years gone have all but disappeared. The tense rivalry between drivers within and across teams, gone. Not like the handbags you get today.

And now stupid safety measures further diluting the wonderful allure F1 once offered.

Think I'll stick with MotoGP for now. :)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
So Charlie Whiting says the Halo as been tested at a speed of 140 Mph!

snip

So if anything hits it going over 140 Mph it will fail.

Really?

I mean...really?

Now, I don't want to push too hard here - wouldn't want to be accused of bullying you, would I princess? :rolleyes: - but you cannot possibly be that stupid and still able to get onto a computer and browse the internet...

The halo has been tested at this speed. That doesn't mean it will fail at any more than this speed. It means **** all in fact beyond it having been tested at that speed. It will almost certainly be tested at higher speeds before it gets anywhere near being used in an actual race.

Do I think the halo is a good idea? No. Do I think that it's being brought in for remotely sound reasons? No. But do I think that because something has 'only' been tested at 140mph so far that means it will fail at 141mph? No, because I'm not the kind of person who makes bizarre statements that don't match up to the facts, then carry on bulldozing through when called on it.

Man of Honour
Really?

I mean...really?

Now, I don't want to push too hard here - wouldn't want to be accused of bullying you, would I princess? :rolleyes: - but you cannot possibly be that stupid and still able to get onto a computer and browse the internet...

The halo has been tested at this speed. That doesn't mean it will fail at any more than this speed. It means **** all in fact beyond it having been tested at that speed. It will almost certainly be tested at higher speeds before it gets anywhere near being used in an actual race.

Do I think the halo is a good idea? No. Do I think that it's being brought in for remotely sound reasons? No. But do I think that because something has 'only' been tested at 140mph so far that means it will fail at 141mph? No, because I'm not the kind of person who makes bizarre statements that don't match up to the facts, then carry on bulldozing through when called on it.
If I could quote this a thousand times over.....

Seriously deuse, you do nothing but discredit yourself on this forum. Do you ever read the stuff you write before hitting "Post Reply"? Really?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

loldeuse

You may want to go back and research your claims before you embarrass yourself further.

Back
Top Bottom