Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Associate
I can't believe Palmer has a firm contract beyond the current season.

I don't understand why, when your not the best driver and have been lucky enough to land in a car that might in the future come good, that you would then **** off the team and car at every opportunity. I think drivers forget the PR side of this sport and should be thinking that if their not delivering points they should at least be delivering a positive message. Di Resta was the same in the FI, can't help but think if he'd been more positive he might still be driving.

Man of Honour
At some point in the future, a couple of years from now, someone will make a mashup of Alonso and Horner moaning about Honda engines. It will be epic.

Moaning about Honda and Renault engines. There's plenty of Horner doing that already, hence why they're now badged Tag in the Red Bull.

Soldato
seems like a safe bet that Renault will ditch RBR in 2019 (long overdue imo). Seems like RBR have no choice other than Honda for 2019. I wonder if Honda are negotiating Horner's departure before closing the deal or a contractual clause to keep his mouth shut, I doubt they want to repeat the Alonso drama all over again with Horner, especially with his history.

anyway it will be great to see RBR vs McLaren Renault next year, while Ferrari and Mercedes continue their own battle for the top spots

Caporegime
seems like a safe bet that Renault will ditch RBR in 2019 (long overdue imo). Seems like RBR have no choice other than Honda for 2019. I wonder if Honda are negotiating Horner's departure before closing the deal or a contractual clause to keep his mouth shut, I doubt they want to repeat the Alonso drama all over again with Horner, especially with his history.

anyway it will be great to see RBR vs McLaren Renault next year, while Ferrari and Mercedes continue their own battle for the top spots
Horner has said a new engine provider might be available to them that's not Porsche.

Soldato
Horner has said a new engine provider might be available to them that's not Porsche.

I think Horner is either feeding the trolls or wishful thinking. He is probably feeling stupid and starting to realize that he has played a large part in the acrymnious relationship with Renault

As a result, RBR are in a precarious position in 2019 with Honda as their only real option. The Honda deal with Torro Rosso seems to be in line with this line of thought. Afterall Honda must save face with the McLaren fiasco, and a RBR partnership in 2019 would be a good way to remedy that. A second rate team like Torro Rosso just doesn't cut it for them to stay in F1. It's like begging for leftovers - doubt that would go down well in Japan. Torro Rosso is just a stop gap until 2019

As for Porsche, the rumors are that they would join in 2021 when the new rule changes appear. I can't see Porsche providing RBR with a engine in 2019 even rebadged AM. That would be a lot of developement in a short time for an engine that would be obsolete shortly thereafter. In fact I don't believe that any new engine supplier would enter F1 before the rule change. It would just be a waste of money trying to play catch up for the rules to change a couple of years later

My 2 cents

Last edited:
Caporegime
Honda have already bought or at least are in the process of buying 40% of Toro Rosso, so which team they are going to buy is basically settled at this point. Of course if Honda make another 2 years of bad engines I can see the possibility of them pulling out, which could screw TR if Honda can't find a buyer.

Caporegime
Honda have already bought or at least are in the process of buying 40% of Toro Rosso, so which team they are going to buy is basically settled at this point. Of course if Honda make another 2 years of bad engines I can see the possibility of them pulling out, which could screw TR if Honda can't find a buyer.
Source? First I've heard about them buying a stake rather than just being a supplier

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It could work out for RB.

Bring Torro Rosso and Honda together for a year developing the engine. Once they've worked out the bugs, slap it in the RB and add aero for instant race wins.

In reality we'll probably see the TR up in smoke in about half the races next year which will drive Honda squealing back to Japan, never to be seen again and Horner crying in to his coco pops.

Caporegime
I know a lot of people don't get on with current BTCC, a lot of rose tinted specs going on....

However, yesterday's qualifying provided an extraordinary result with regards to the competitiveness of the field, all 32 cars separated by less then 0.9 of a second. Going to make an interested race day!

http://www.btcc.net/2017/09/16/entire-field-covered-by-less-than-a-second/

Could you imagine the hysteria if all the F1 field qualified within a second? People get excited when four or five cars get within a second of each other.

Back
Top Bottom