Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
I’m not really bothered how much they’ve spent - they chose to spend and knew that engine rules would be up for discussion after a period of time. It is all just posturing - the manufacturers want to be in F1 just as much as the teams. What’s frustrating is Ferrari constantly playing the role of spoiled teenager. It is quite pathetic. Throw in a petulant driver with a penchant for driving into other cars and also whining himself, and the whole picture is quite a sorry one.

Caporegime
While the current engine is so complex no other manufacturer will come in, but the proposed regulations is, to all intents and purposes, a new engine again. Sure it will be cheaper than what's come before but it does mean Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari and Honda all restarting engine development again.

Soldato
Ok lets try and balance the Ferrari thing a bit....

I completely get Ferrari's position, they are a business at the end of the day and have shareholders and stakeholders that they are accountable to. I would care less about the veto than the money. Lets be realistic here it is a HUGE amount of cash they receive and I would be highly annoyed if I was Ferrari and they were taking it away.

Imagine you were at work and because in the past you have done in the past you as an individual got a say in how things are done and extra pay. Now imagine someone buys the company and wants to reduce your pay and reduce your ability to have say in how things are done. How would you feel about that?

They have been the only Brand to be fully 'in' F1 since the beginning. Most of the other teams have dipped in and out over the years (Merc, Renault) or are really not the same outfit they were when they were created (Red Bull etc.)

Caporegime
Ok lets try and balance the Ferrari thing a bit....

I completely get Ferrari's position, they are a business at the end of the day and have shareholders and stakeholders that they are accountable to. I would care less about the veto than the money. Lets be realistic here it is a HUGE amount of cash they receive and I would be highly annoyed if I was Ferrari and they were taking it away.

Imagine you were at work and because in the past you have done in the past you as an individual got a say in how things are done and extra pay. Now imagine someone buys the company and wants to reduce your pay and reduce your ability to have say in how things are done. How would you feel about that?
Aggrieved, but if you were invested in the business and can see what they're trying to do, with the potential to make the business more successful globally, you should at least listen to what they have to say rather than throwing your toys out of the pram and saying you'll quit if you don't get your way. And I'm not sure they've done much other than turned up to race every season and lumped in with the FIA and Bernie any time they've had money waved in their faces and have screwed all the other teams over.

Soldato
That is a bit dramatic. Lets be realistic the only card they have to play is the threat to leave. It is the card most of us have. If you didn't like the way something was going and your view's were not taken on board, your money was taken away. You would leave....

These big teams are not in F1 for the fun of it, it is all about recognition, money and power. If that is lost then what's the point?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You’d feel miffed but equally, wouldn’t the boss have a right to ask what you’d done to justify the extra money? Especially, if all you were doing is riding on past glory.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
You’d feel miffed but equally, wouldn’t the boss have a right to ask what you’d done to justify the extra money? Especially, if all you were doing is riding on past glory.

At least Ferrari are still at the pointy end. McLaren get a constructors' championship bonus despite not winning one since nineteen ninety ******* eight.

Soldato
Man of Honour
another brilliant idea banned before the end of the season. if its legal they shouldn't be allowed to ban it mid season. Does my head in all the bickering that is involved to get it banned, as well as curbing ingenious interpretations.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

What was interesting to me is that had Hakkinen left the wheel on his car, they never would have got that shot.

Also... Coulthard running 4 pedals is pretty crazy.

Man of Honour
I agree with some of Marchionne's commentary but not the constant gun to the head threat. Ferrari could be absent from the grid next season and I wouldn't notice after a couple of races other than the commentators constantly banging on about it.

Same, good riddance. There is absolutely no reason they should get preferential treatment.

Soldato
If another team came in, I'd happily watch F1 without Ferrari. They are a giant red elephant. In fact no even that giant (if you don't count Fiat). Red Bull the company, has a higher turnover and is likely as well a known a brand.

Soldato
Red Bull is a relevant brand, and it is accessible to 100% of people watching F1. Largely the same for Mercedes, Honda and Renault. Ferrari is largely an aspirational brand. 99% of people watching F1 will probably never own a Ferrari but many of them might aspire to own one. It also validates the brand, making existing owners feel good about their purchase and more likely to buy again.

I'm sure there'll be a lot more tantrums before it all gets resolved.

Caporegime
Red Bull is a relevant brand, and it is accessible to 100% of people watching F1. Largely the same for Mercedes, Honda and Renault. Ferrari is largely an aspirational brand. 99% of people watching F1 will probably never own a Ferrari but many of them might aspire to own one. It also validates the brand, making existing owners feel good about their purchase and more likely to buy again.

I'm sure there'll be a lot more tantrums before it all gets resolved.

I hope Liberty calls their bluff and tells them to leave if they want, but if they continue there will be no Veto and no historic payment just for being Ferrari.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Okay. As long as while they're at it they quit paying the extra $30m that McLaren get for winning constructors' championships decades ago. And the extra $10m that Williams get for having been around since 1977. And the extra $35m that RBR trousered last year for being the first ones to stick their hands up and ask for it.

Back
Top Bottom