Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Caporegime
Aaaaanyway, one of the best races of the year this weekend - Bathurst 12hr. Hopefully the end is a bit better than last year's.

Any idea if it's on TV anywhere? Or on YouTube?

Also just seen they're STARTING at 5:45AM local time? I'd prefer the race started at a more normal hour and raced into the darkness than the other way round.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any idea if it's on TV anywhere? Or on YouTube?

Also just seen they're STARTING at 5:45AM local time? I'd prefer the race started at a more normal hour and raced into the darkness than the other way round.
It’ll be streamed on their website - https://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/streams-tv/

Yeah I don’t understand the start time either. It’s better for me though as it’ll finish at 1am

Soldato
Eh? He quoted a post about a GP in the Philippines and compared it to the security issues teams face in Brazil. He didn't say anything about Daytona.

Aaaaanyway, one of the best races of the year this weekend - Bathurst 12hr. Hopefully the end is a bit better than last year's.

I was using MS browser and the link in his post did not show up.
But it does in Chrome. Sorry about that :)

Soldato
Bathurst 12 hour qualifying was rather close - 1 second covering 19 cars.

Looks like Audi aren’t as fast as people were expecting them to be. No doubt that will change in the race as they’re expected to be able to triple stint the new tyres.

Soldato
The pole sitting Aston has been stripped of pole as well. They were going to lose a couple of places anyway due to speeding in the pits during the first part of qualifying, but they've also been stripped of pole and the Simonsen trophy due to breaking the rev-limit on their V12 during the shootout. A real shame as Jake Dennis' lap was awesome.

Soldato
Ah I saw they had a penalty but didn’t see what for.

It really was a great lap, and the sound it made whilst doing it :D best sounding car on the grid.

The 888 car had an awful qualifying so it should be interesting to see them progress, Mostert’s BMW too.

Here’s a stream of the shootout:

Soldato
So the Bathurst result proves that old cars are better than the latest gen :D

Absolutely cracking end to the race. Bentley need to redesign their steering wheel, turning the car off instead of the pit limiter, twice...

JRS

JRS

Soldato
If anyone's awake and has access ** nope **, NASCAR's Duels - the two 60 lap races that set the field starting order for the Daytona 500 - are on now. Fox Sports 1 if you have access to it.

The non-championship Clash was last weekend:

Seems like the changes to the cars for 2019 are having some effect. I properly detest what Chevy and particularly Ford are doing though - a major part of the point of the Gen 6 cars was to get them looking like their production counterparts again, and I'm sorry...you can squint, cross your eyes, do what you want, you cannot make those rooflines fit the Camaro or Mustang front.

And - where are we now, six years on maybe? - I'm still upset that Dodge had to pull out. Their Gen 6 body looked great. And the current road model Charger would look even better as a Gen 6 stock car.

Last edited by a moderator:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
So far it seems like Dayonta is absolutely conforming to type - Truck race was carnage with only 9(!!!) trucks of the 32 that started making it to the flag, Xfinity race dull as ditchwater with no-one able to make much in the way of overtaking once the train got running around the high line. Oh, and the 'Supra' front end on the Toyota Xfinity cars?

Soldato
Not really Motorsport related but sort of is. I'm lucky enough to have a really good go-karting track about 2 minutes walk away from the house so I'm gonna start going once a month. I went about 2 weeks ago and it's really addictive. Any tips from some more of the seasoned go-karters? I'm happy with how consistent my times were, they weren't the fastest but they were always within a few tenths each lap. I know I can make up a bit more time though. My best lap was 57.something and the record is 49.something. I know I can make up another 2 seconds but I just want to get my average lap time down by a second or so.

I only did 2 x 15 minute sessions on a 1KM track but jesus, i was worn out after that. All I kept thinking was how on earth do drivers do Singapore!

I only wish it wasn't so expensive.

Man of Honour
Not really Motorsport related but sort of is. I'm lucky enough to have a really good go-karting track about 2 minutes walk away from the house so I'm gonna start going once a month. I went about 2 weeks ago and it's really addictive. Any tips from some more of the seasoned go-karters? I'm happy with how consistent my times were, they weren't the fastest but they were always within a few tenths each lap. I know I can make up a bit more time though. My best lap was 57.something and the record is 49.something. I know I can make up another 2 seconds but I just want to get my average lap time down by a second or so.

I only did 2 x 15 minute sessions on a 1KM track but jesus, i was worn out after that. All I kept thinking was how on earth do drivers do Singapore!

I only wish it wasn't so expensive.

Whilst I don’t have many tips, I concur. It is absolutely exhausting, my arms feel like they are going to fall off after two 20 minute sessions. Mistakes creep in quickly too.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I’ve done a few circuits around the world (not competitive) and my tip would be... don’t chuck it in to the corners and power slide it around.

Whilst it feels awesome and probably suits a stag weekend, you’ll scrub so much speed it’s insane. At first it feels counterintuitive (to slow for the bend vs throwing it in foot flat down) but you’ll find it that the less experience guys divebomb you during corner entry whilst your exit is more pronounced as you’re accelerating when they’re sliding.

I once raced a decent track in Gran Canaria and spent about 25 laps chasing a guy down. Made a move around the outside of a left handed to give myself the inside for the right handed and spun. Fail.

Would love to do it full time but as you say, it can get £lol if you go regularly.

Soldato
Karting is expensive, I done it for a bit and it did shock me. You are right about the powersliding, but you do have to have an element of a degree of slide as all the fast boys were doing it, but its more of a speed slide.. hard to describe

Back
Top Bottom