Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
What happens when Mercedes still ends up being the fastest and most reliable? You could end up with other cars either being very slow, or exploding their engines. This sort of knee-jerk mid-season change is the sort of thing we've seen the FIA do regularly, and it never works as expected because it's rushed and not thought out.

It's not going to look good if we end up with Mercedes lapping everyone twice.

It doesn't matter what happens with Mercedes since the rule has nothing to with Mercedes. I do get the point about mid-season changes. Ideally it would be brought in for a fresh season, but it is a step in the right direction IMO.

Soldato
So does that mean no driver can change engine mode once they enter parc ferme conditions? If not, then what's top stop the teams removing the 'quali' mode and making the race engine modes go up to 11. It all seems very Spinal Tap.

Why do the bloody FIA insist on these stupid knee-jerk reactionary band aid solutions instead of spending some time addressing the underlying issues. I know the 2022 regs are supposed to address this, but I have my doubts if they will work given the reliance on over-body aero still.

Soldato
So does that mean no driver can change engine mode once they enter parc ferme conditions? If not, then what's top stop the teams removing the 'quali' mode and making the race engine modes go up to 11. It all seems very Spinal Tap.
It seems the FIA intend for it to not be even possible to change the 'mode' i.e. completely fixed and not adjustabe so changing anything any time would be rendered impossible.

I kind of see 'some' logic, but on the other hand all the teams have a party mode of sorts which as already stated above is not just used in qualifying but also to attack and defend in the race itself.

If Mercs 'normal' (for want of a better term) mode is quicker than RB's then where does that leave this decision? If RB set their 'normal' engine mode at say their qualifying/overtake mode as standard, then the Honda PU surely cannot sustain that for a whole race like the Merc probably could.

It's just nuts.

Soldato
So, how are all the F1 teams and support staff currently in Spain going to stay on mainland Europe or do they have special dispensation to allow their return to the U.K. without needed to self-quarantine for 14 days?

Caporegime
So, how are all the F1 teams and support staff currently in Spain going to stay on mainland Europe or do they have special dispensation to allow their return to the U.K. without needed to self-quarantine for 14 days?

They're exempt, in the UK at least. (Actually that was just for Silverstone, but I assume they can similarly negotiate for the rest).

Soldato
What happens when Mercedes still ends up being the fastest and most reliable? You could end up with other cars either being very slow, or exploding their engines. This sort of knee-jerk mid-season change is the sort of thing we've seen the FIA do regularly, and it never works as expected because it's rushed and not thought out.

It's not going to look good if we end up with Mercedes lapping everyone twice.

Nothing happens. They may well be. Teams will have to determine the map that gives the best balance between outright performance and reliability.

I don’t think cars will be significantly slower than their current race pace.

Soldato
It seems the FIA intend for it to not be even possible to change the 'mode' i.e. completely fixed and not adjustabe so changing anything any time would be rendered impossible.

I kind of see 'some' logic, but on the other hand all the teams have a party mode of sorts which as already stated above is not just used in qualifying but also to attack and defend in the race itself.

If Mercs 'normal' (for want of a better term) mode is quicker than RB's then where does that leave this decision? If RB set their 'normal' engine mode at say their qualifying/overtake mode as standard, then the Honda PU surely cannot sustain that for a whole race like the Merc probably could.

It's just nuts.

This is the thing. What if merc as standard are dialling back their engines for extra reliability as they know that they already have the most powerful engine and can afford too.. I can just see this not having the effect they think it will. (Classic F1/FIA/whoever is deciding this)

Soldato
Even though I disagree with the banning of engine modes I can appreciate why they may want to ban them but to do it mid season is ludicrous. It's niave to think this is anything but 'an attempt to reign Mercedes in during quali' regulation.

This change is entirely counterproductive to the fuel and energy limits that were imposed however many years ago. The teams simply don't have enough fuel or energy to run flat out for anywhere close to the whole race. So they'll potentially run a similar map during the race as they do now but will be slower in quali which is rubbish. I know there's other factors but you only have to look at how much slower the fastest lap of the race is than quali to see it's going to turn Q3 where everything was turned up 11 with the cars literally going as fast as they can to pootling round hampered by being stuck in a race engine mode.

Now if they proposed to bring in this no engine mode regulation with a significant increase to fuel capacity and flow as well as an inline energy storage and deployment increase then it would be interesting.

Man of Honour
Oh, look at FP1 - Mercedes still a second quicker when no one will be using 'quali modes'. At most I can see them losing a couple of tenths, but there is no one thing that is giving the Mercedes its speed. Its the DAS argument all over again. That car is exceptional in all areas.

Soldato
That's the daft bit. If any engine has the margin to maximise it's reliability and still be fastest it's Merc. The other engine suppliers will be the ones more likely to grenade running riskier maps to try and close up. What's next, success ballast?

Soldato
This is the thing. What if merc as standard are dialling back their engines for extra reliability as they know that they already have the most powerful engine and can afford too.. I can just see this not having the effect they think it will. (Classic F1/FIA/whoever is deciding this)
Exactly, if Honda dial back their engine for reliability they simply won't be as quick.

Man of Honour
That's the daft bit. If any engine has the margin to maximise it's reliability and still be fastest it's Merc. The other engine suppliers will be the ones more likely to grenade running riskier maps to try and close up. What's next, success ballast?

I bet ballast isn’t too far off, as are more standard parts. You can see us heading to a same spec series if the new rules see Mercedes continue their dominance. The other teams just can’t seem to close the gap.

Soldato
Oh, look at FP1 - Mercedes still a second quicker when no one will be using 'quali modes'. At most I can see them losing a couple of tenths, but there is no one thing that is giving the Mercedes its speed. Its the DAS argument all over again. That car is exceptional in all areas.

Engine modes offer nothing at all to the fans. I don't know why a lot of people on here keep talking about Mercedes as if this rule is something special to do with them. As far as I can see this update has absolutely nothing to do with Mercedes. Perhaps you lot are privy to something I'm not. If so, then please share.

It's a bit like DRS in qualifying. It offers nothing at all to the fans, and IMO should be disabled. What's the point. It's added complexity (in qualy) for reason other than the fact that it is there.

Man of Honour
Engine modes offer nothing at all to the fans. I don't know why a lot of people on here keep talking about Mercedes as if this rule is something special to do with them. As far as I can see this update has absolutely nothing to do with Mercedes. Perhaps you lot are privy to something I'm not. If so, then please share.

It's a bit like DRS in qualifying. It offers nothing at all to the fans, and IMO should be disabled. What's the point. It's added complexity (in qualy) for reason other than the fact that it is there.

Why else would they want to get rid of them? Ok, they don’t add anything for fans, but they don’t take anything away either?

Soldato

Because Mercedes power (party) mode is significantly better than the rest of the field it is believed.

Caporegime
I bet ballast isn’t too far off, as are more standard parts. You can see us heading to a same spec series if the new rules see Mercedes continue their dominance. The other teams just can’t seem to close the gap.
Don’t forget that without Coronavirus we’d have new regulations just next year. Any major regulation change gives other teams a real chance at catching up. Many teams will hardly have any upgrades next year as they divert resources to 2022. Yes that means next season may be similar to this, but the cost savings required due to The ‘Rona mean the FIA and FOM had little choice.

Soldato
Why else would they want to get rid of them? Ok, they don’t add anything for fans, but they don’t take anything away either?

Because Mercedes power (party) mode is significantly better than the rest of the field it is believed.

To more easily control, and monitor what is actually going on with the engines. They were already caught out with Ferrari last year. The simpler they make it, the easier it will be to see when some team is up to no good. This has been clearly stated though, but instead people prefer conspiracy theories. The FIA does not help themselves though, as many have pointed out, why mid-season, but then this season is more of an experiment. I think even some drivers and other figures in F1 said it should be treated as such, though IIRC that was before the season began.

Mercedes Team will have exact same engine modes available to them as every Mercedes customer. Teams have confirmed this. So if the Merc party mode is a little better than the Renualt or the Honda, It's going to affect every other Merc engined team equally. With that in mind, in addition to what what is said above, I don't see it as something to limit the Mercedes team. The FIA will know good well why the Mercedes Team is faster than others.

Back
Top Bottom