Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Imagine Williams managed to hook up with Newey too. He could finish kind of where he started in F1. (Can't go back to March/Leyton House as they don't exist anymore..)

I think given the financial figures being banded about for Newey that Williams is probably just not capable of meeting that; its also no longer got anything beyond the F1 Team for him to get involved in (he does love his non-F1 projects!) - that's where I think McLaren or Aston would give him more scope to do his thing to be honest.

Feel bad for Carlos. He deserves to be at the sharp end and he has demonstrated that across both stints at McLaren and Ferrari.

Just seems like a driver that's never had a home. Is this his 5th team now? Toro Rosso, Renault, McLaren, Ferrari and now Williams... It is really unfortunate for him that a 7/8 time champion, however you want to count it, was also looking for a drive at the same time.

I think given the financial figures being banded about for Newey that Williams is probably just not capable of meeting that; its also no longer got anything beyond the F1 Team for him to get involved in (he does love his non-F1 projects!) - that's where I think McLaren or Aston would give him more scope to do his thing to be honest.

Agreed, I think the only feasible options are McLaren, Aston and Ferrari. The latter is obviously just a pedigree thing historically with F1 but I doubt Newey would be given the kind of freedom he requires to work, so wouldn't be a good fit. Plus the revolving management door at Ferrari doesn't inspire stability or confidence.

Agreed, I think the only feasible options are McLaren, Aston and Ferrari. The latter is obviously just a pedigree thing historically with F1 but I doubt Newey would be given the kind of freedom he requires to work, so wouldn't be a good fit. Plus the revolving management door at Ferrari doesn't inspire stability or confidence.

It's been said about Newey wanting to stay in the UK too whereas Ferrari would mean moving to Maranello. So another reason to think Ferrari aren't the one. Aston Martin do seem to have been making some moves to hire the right people recently, mixed with Stroll being able to afford Newey and AM offering other options outside of F1. Not to mention, AM is a 'new' team so a new challenge for Newey also. So I think it's hard to see it being anyone but AM if he stays in F1.

Feel bad for Carlos. He deserves to be at the sharp end and he has demonstrated that across both stints at McLaren and Ferrari.

I think he's good enough for a decent seat, but not good enough to demand one over drivers like Piastri, Russell, Lewis, Leclerc, and Max. Once you've factored in those drivers, there aren't pointy end seats left for Carlos.

Just seems like a driver that's never had a home. Is this his 5th team now? Toro Rosso, Renault, McLaren, Ferrari and now Williams...

He could have had a home at McLaren, I think, they really liked him - and he was getting good performances. I wonder whether he would have gone to Ferrari if he'd realised how short term a move it was, or if he knew how McLaren were going to come good over the last two years.

I think the things keeping Perez in that seat are, in order: Max; dubious alternatives; and money. Max isn't happy, keeping Checo is an easy way to placate him. None of the alternatives excite Red Bull, Lawson may just be another Gasly or Albion, and DR has underimpresssed. Pérez is hugely popular in the American markets - maybe worth hundreds of millions in sales to the parent company.

For all its success, it's still an ad for a soft drink.

I think the things keeping Perez in that seat are, in order: Max; dubious alternatives; and money. Max isn't happy, keeping Checo is an easy way to placate him. None of the alternatives excite Red Bull, Lawson may just be another Gasly or Albion, and DR has underimpresssed. Pérez is hugely popular in the American markets - maybe worth hundreds of millions in sales to the parent company.

Does keeping Checo keep Max happy because he's a teammate who won't be faster than him? Checo could finish 2nd and still be slower than Max. But then I guess Michael Schumacher didn't exactly allow Benetton or Ferrari to sign a teammate who could/would be allowed to challenge him so its not just a Max thing.

There are rumours that Liberty Media also asked RB to keep Perez. It's definitely a money thing - they don't want to drop him before the Mexican GP.

Back
Top Bottom