Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Not sure if serious? Like him or loathe him I think general consensus is that he's a top tier driver. Sure cracks show under pressure from time to time but the same can be said for any of the greats. I personally believe he'd have reached a slightly more well rounded driver by now at a different team but that's beside the point.

Yep, I'm absolutely being serious. Max is most definitely not one of the greats and has only reached such a high level of results due to car dominance plus being teamed with second rate drivers (Second rate being a relative term, of course - Checko is clearly one of the greatest drivers on the planet, holding a seat in a F1 team, etc, but in this rarified environment, Checko is several levels of talent lower than Hamilton and Alonso.) I felt the exact same with Vettel - only achieved so much due to car dominance and consistent dirty tricks versus relatively equal team mates.

Max is a dirty racer. Fact. His dirty, aggressive and badly judged antics is the prime reason for his success in close racing. He has held a deliberate mindset, from his early career, that you gain dominance by culturing a reputation of being willing to crash rather than yield. He would rather crash than yield and to hell with the consequences - and carrying this mindset knowing that he will maintain that style to the very end - such that other drivers always drive tentatively around him. The only driver to have understood this in the past has been Hamilton, who still takes the fight to him (when able) but to use wisdom and car control to avoid Max's deliberate attempts to crash (Brazil, for instance, where Hamilton knew what Max might do and defended accordingly by avoiding contact but also not yielding himself...)
I believe that Lando is now beginning to understand how to tackle Max, too. Not to yield, but also to defend against the deliberate crash attempts at the same time.

There is a specific reason why Max's antics have been solely responsible for several rule changes within the sport. He is a danger and liability, not just to other drivers but also to himself. He is categorically not all that he is cracked up to be as a top-top tier driver. He has great car control, for sure, but he also carries that *contact, crash and smash* mindset that has carried him forwards more than his driving skill alone.

Agreed, you only have to look at Hamilton’s and Vettel’s early careers to realise Max isn’t that different. Though they did show some signs of maturity after getting a little older and especially after securing their first titles. I also wonder if Max isn’t because of Red Bull basically enabling him. Though you don’t know what’s said behind closed doors so could just be Max being stubborn.

Strongly disagree.
Vettel carried only on the car dominance and dirty selfish tricks versus team mates.
Max, see above.
Lewis ought to have won his rookie season and would have done so if the team had not sent him out at China on destroyed tyres. Form that season was not from car dominance alone, and his team mate was one of the greatest gifted drivers of our time. Lewis entered F1 when it was "boring" because overtaking was almost impossible. From his very first race he demonstrated that overtaking was not as impossible as it was purported to be, and he didn't have to be a dirty tricks or crash'n'smash driver to do so. It was all founded in car control, car placement and race craft and he is a "clean" racer at heart.

Funny isn't it, when a driver wins races, WC(s) etc. that an individual doesn't like it is down to the car. But when it is a driver they do like it is down to that driver's skills.
What is the common denominator here?
Imagine this forum if Max had crashed Lewis off the track, in the exact same way, at Silverstone 2021. We'd have to move some threads to the dark web.

Never mind the TeamLH nutcases on Twitter sending death threats to people.

Last edited:
That's a new level of hypocrisy. Even for you.
Why is that? It is obvious that Lewis has been struggling with the handling of his car for sometime, he and Toto has stated as much and Toto even apologised to Lewis over the radio for giving him that car. George seemed to adapt better though.. Now the car is more to his liking he is again winning races, with a bit of misfortune from George thrown in of course.

Last edited:
Because in post #18306 you said: "Funny isn't it, when a driver wins races, WC(s) etc. that an individual doesn't like it is down to the car. But when it is a driver they do like it is down to that driver's skills."

And then 4 posts later in #18310 you said: "Certainly true for Lewis [that it's down to the car] over the past few races, so thanks for that gem :cry:"

Last edited:
I believe that'll put him above Binotto, as Team Principal he basically runs the whole team while Binotto would run the Technical dept itself. I may be wrong but that's my understanding

I believe that'll put him above Binotto, as Team Principal he basically runs the whole team while Binotto would run the Technical dept itself. I may be wrong but that's my understanding

That seems like a good use for Binotto's skills then. Audi look to be putting together a good team, if the bosses back it for a decent length of time, I think they could thrive in the 2030s.

Because in post #18306 you said: "Funny isn't it, when a driver wins races, WC(s) etc. that an individual doesn't like it is down to the car. But when it is a driver they do like it is down to that driver's skills."

And then 4 posts later in #18310 you said: "Certainly true for Lewis [that it's down to the car] over the past few races, so thanks for that gem :cry:"
I was replying to the comments about Max, was that not obvious, doesn't mean I like him or dislike Lewis at all. In fact I applaud Lewis for what he has done for the sport.
Truth be known Max is definitely not my favourite driver at all. Never has been...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom