Motorsport Off Topic Thread

I don't have an issue with sportsman swearing, they're under much more intense pressure (for short periods of time) than I ever was when I worked and I swore all the time, same as every single adult on the planet. When you have Hamilton and Verstappen agreeing on something you know it must be off!

Well when RB or Mercedes phone you up and offer you £40m/year to drive a formula one car for half the year you can tell them "sorry guys, I can't do it, I would love to but I can't work without swearing" :p

So does anyone here know which swear word he used or are some just guessing upon hearsay?
From what I understand he used the 's' word to describe his car, correct me if I'm wrong. So what is all the fuss about, kids today say worse on the playground, they probably hear worse from their parents and on their mobile phones.
The FIA, and others, are taking this hypocritical and moralistic stance too far and the punishment definitely does not fit the crime. It could have been dealt with in a far better way.

Last edited:
So does anyone here know which swear word he used or are some just guessing upon hearsay?
From what I understand he used the 's' word to describe his car, correct me if I'm wrong. So what is all the fuss about, kids today say worse on the playground, they probably hear worse from their parents and on their mobile phones.
The FIA, and others, are taking this hypocritical and moralistic stance too far and the punishment definitely does not fit the crime. It could have been dealt with in a far better way.

thats because you see it in other aspects of life that doesnt make it right and its broadcasted all around the world, press interviews shouldnt be any of it, during racing comms I dont have an issue with it , its bleeped out anyway

Last edited:
thats because you see it in other aspects of life that doesnt make it right and its broadcasted all around the world, press interviews shouldnt be any of it, during racing comms I dont have an issue with it , its bleeped out anyway

True, I don't disagree with you tbh. Just because it doesn't bother me doesn't mean it's correct etc. I guess I'm more indifferent than anything.

EDIT: Just realised you didn't reply to me! Sorry, OAP trying to us the internet here. I'll leave the response anyway, as I did sort of say something similar too and my post still stands as a reply. :)

Last edited:
From what I understand he used the 's' word to describe his car, correct me if I'm wrong.

The little I can find of semi-censored transcripts would suggest it was an F bomb.

Verstappen was responding to a question about his disappointing result in last week’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix, in which he replied: “as soon as I went into qualifying, I knew the car was ****ed.”

Last edited:

He said **** *** *** **** **** as far as I know.

Just unprofessional behaviour isn't it. I bet the vast majority couldn't care less how often anyone used this language in daily life but when you're meant to be addressing media/clients/public, you just don't.

But then nowadays we have to have a big reaction fallout and YouTubers, media discussion and more about moments that are nursery level when compared to someone like James Hunt...

Last edited:

It's nothing to do with the language kids use on the playground.

F1 is a global sport, the press conferences are aired throughout the whole planet, many countries broadcasters have rules about swearing before a certain time (what we call the watershed), the drivers should understand and accept this.

I think if they swear over comms to their team during a race - I don't agree they should be punished.

Outside of the car and when you're not in the heat of the moment? It's pretty easy to not swear in those moments.

It's nothing to do with the language kids use on the playground.
Oh really, lol perhaps then they should give all the football players community service for swearing in a match, and the crowd too. After all it is a sport watched by families and the young. Are not professional football players supposed to set an example as well?
As stated, hypocrites...

Last edited:
What about when football players drop F bombs in pre-match press conferences and then go on a little monologue about they'll 'swear anyway' when asked to watch their language? :p

Do people really think it's perfectly OK to just swear on the telly at any time?

Ofcom certainly don't, as said above, there are regulations which broadcasters have to comply with and they get big penalties if they don't.

What about when football players drop F bombs in pre-match press conferences and then go on a little monologue about they'll 'swear anyway' when asked to watch their language? :p

Footballers can get fined for swearing on camera, even during matches. Most memorable example was Rooney getting a fine and multi game ban for swearing during a celebration...

Last edited:
I saw a clip on the Manchester City manager kicking his chair in frustration and two managers were given red cards at the weekend. How about the way referees are given abuse. I rather think the s word is nothing in comparison.

Thing is Max apologised and that should be the end of it, however the FIA went too far in their punishment.

Last edited:
I saw a clip on the Manchester City manager kicking his chair in frustration and two managers were given red cards at the weekend. How about the way referees are given abuse. I rather think the s word is nothing in comparison.

Verstappen didn't use the S word.

There are videos on YouTube that I can't link here, he said the car was "****ed" and then rambled on a bit about how the F word isn't that bad and he'll swear anyway, whether it's there or somewhere else.

I suspect his little follow up monologue after being asked to watch his language rather than a simple "sorry, won't do that again" contributed to the decision to give him a punishment rather than a warning.

How difficult can it be not to swear in interviews? You don't have to swear to get point across and they have time to get composed

These are professionals and being broadcast around the world

Last edited:
I like Max but, he should know better. Lots of youngsters look up to him. I know, it seems like everyone and their dog swears today but should that still make it ok for someone to swear while being interviewed and watched by millions?

How difficult can it be not to swear in interviews? You don't have to swear to get point across and they have time to get composed

These are professionals and being broadcast around the world

It's Max being Max. @fez hit the nail on the head.

Have to say that Max is continuing his penchant for being a spoilt little brat. Get over it. You are paid absolutely insane money to drive a car. You can manage to speak without swearing in a press conference. If you can't then you need to have a look at yourself. Suggesting he might leave the sport because they don't want him swearing to the media. Get a grip you overpaid *****.

Do people really think it's perfectly OK to just swear on the telly at any time?

I think being upset because someone used a naughty word is a childish relic of a more puritanical era. I'm not saying that kids TV should be swearing all the time but the idea that it is scandalous to hear someone swear is daft, almost as daft as referring to the word as an F-bomb as if it was some devastating thing.

Ofcom certainly don't, as said above, there are regulations which broadcasters have to comply with and they get big penalties if they don't.

Indeed, and the UK is far from the most puritanical country in this regard so I think it's fair enough for FOM/FIA to regulate this stuff. It is getting broadcast around the world to markets with differing notions of acceptability, and I think most teams and drivers are smart enough to realise this but we should also recognise that a lot of drivers are speaking a second or third language and may not be entirely down with what is or isn't acceptable* and I don't think it was really necessary to go for a penalty beyond a fine in this case. However, I suspect it has only really caused a problem because of wider issues in governance.

* - There's actually interesting research into taboos and second languages: people actually find it much easier to discuss taboo subjects in a second language than a first, because they haven't had the same associations indoctrinated into them as a child and despite the commonality of meaning of words.

Back
Top Bottom