Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Interesting to see Prema push out to America and enter Indycar, I really hope they do well.

I see it as somewhere for their F2/F3 drivers to go once they realise they won't make it to F1 because they haven't been in an F1 teams driver academy since they were born.

What did they do to him? I've not been following Indycar this year

Can you remind me what they did? Was it that they signed him up for the 2024 season in IndyCar but then reneged on this? They gave the seat to another driver?

To be fair now I think about it, it was really Pourchaire that was screwed by McLaren (signed to replace Malukas for the rest of the season and then binned after a race) - Illot replaced Malukas for a race and the Indy 500 but never seemed to get a look in for the full time drive despite being pretty highly rated by many in Indy after his stint with Juncos-Hollinger last year. I suspect his WEC campaign might have had an influence though.

Interesting to see Prema push out to America and enter Indycar, I really hope they do well.

I see it as somewhere for their F2/F3 drivers to go once they realise they won't make it to F1 because they haven't been in an F1 teams driver academy since they were born.

Yeah hopefully gives them another path to a top series; also nice to have some other European interest in Indy!

Sorry but the whole swearing thing is ridiculous; you hear worse watching the football be it swearing, sectarian singing or horrendous chants.

I find it quite childish, but I guess there are countries around the world who still think saying a naughty word is bad and F1 is a global sport. The complaints about swearing in-car are daft - FOM has complete liberty to play clips or not - but I can understand censuring comments in press conferences a bit more. They're not under pressure, and they're professional sportsmen paid huge sums: they can control their language during a press conference.

I find it quite childish, but I guess there are countries around the world who still think saying a naughty word is bad and F1 is a global sport. The complaints about swearing in-car are daft - FOM has complete liberty to play clips or not - but I can understand censuring comments in press conferences a bit more. They're not under pressure, and they're professional sportsmen paid huge sums: they can control their language during a press conference.
Yeah I get the press conference thing, but generally its all very childish; I find some of the rubbish David Croft says more offensive than a driver swearing!

What a joke. 'We want drivers to have personality as it makes us more money but only in this very perscribed robot way '

At this rate Max is out after next year, why would he be arsed with this mess when he can go race GT3/IMSA and say whatever he wants , when he wants.

Didn't think I'd agree with the FIA on something, more than happy to swear like a trooper in my own private life but in a public facing sport I'd expect more respect. The argument "everyone else does it" doesn't cut it with me, otherwise should we continue with sexist comments and racism in sport because "everyone else does it"? You can get your point across without swearing and this forum is an example of that.

If Max doesn't like it, go race in another series. Plenty of other drivers waiting in the wings to take that seat.

Didn't think I'd agree with the FIA on something, more than happy to swear like a trooper in my own private life but in a public facing sport I'd expect more respect. The argument "everyone else does it" doesn't cut it with me, otherwise should we continue with sexist comments and racism in sport because "everyone else does it"? You can get your point across without swearing and this forum is an example of that.

If Max doesn't like it, go race in another series. Plenty of other drivers waiting in the wings to take that seat.

There's a big difference between racist, sexist of mysognistic comments and someone in a high pressure environment saying "****" on the radio (which is bleeped anyway - its not live)

The team radio doesn't HAVE to be played. The race director is making that choice. They can bleep it. They can not play it. They can pass 'cleansed' versions of what the drivers said to the commentators and have them summarise it to viewers. There's no need to censor the drivers.

The team radio doesn't HAVE to be played. The race director is making that choice. They can bleep it. They can not play it. They can pass 'cleansed' versions of what the drivers said to the commentators and have them summarise it to viewers. There's no need to censor the drivers.

But viewers then complain they're getting team radio clips from 5-10 laps ago and it's out of context.

Broadcasters have rules, FIA and FOM are trying to sell a product and part of that restricts language use, if broadcasters are having to filter or censor content it devalues the product and fan access to the sport. Lets scrap Sky live and keep to C4 highlights so they have enough time to clean up the content, or show it after the watershed.

Drivers seem capable of restricting their use of racist language once it's been pointed out, but swearing in interviews just to see how far they can push the FIA is disrespectful. That's not a high pressure situation.

But viewers then complain they're getting team radio clips from 5-10 laps ago and it's out of context.
That's not going to change and you're also vastly overstating how stale messages are; 1-3 laps at most.

Someone still has to listen to the messages; possibly there is a speech-to-text system but corrections would have to be made as the voices aren't always clear.

This surprised me. The minimum driver weight is a lot higher than I expected.

The minimum driver weight limit of 80kg (12st 8lb) is increasing to 82kg (12st 12lb) next season, to help the taller drivers.

Back
Top Bottom