Mountain Biking

Associate
Anyone recommend a front mudguard for RockShox RS1s? They're upside down to normal shocks, so don't have the same mounting points, so unsure what to go for but have been riding it all week in the show and getting a face full of crap.

Yes - get some better forks :p Flexy much. What bike do you have running what were £1500 odd forks?

On a more serious note: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rapidracerproducts-enduroguard-mudguard/rp-prod143076

I use those - can use them front and rear (to protect the shock).

Soldato

Too late for me - I wouldn't buy another CC shock now

Paid £330 for an inline
enjoyed using it - feels really nice, the climb lever is excellent

shock failed after warranty ran out (the usual seal issue)
paid £190 for TFT to fix it
failed again 2 rides later (half way though a £35 uplift day in FoD)
TFT fixed it again (for free this time)
Not wanting the faff of it breaking again I sold it for £130 (2nd hand value is poor thanks to the reliability issues)

2 weeks later they announce that they have redesigned the shock to fix the initial poor design

thanks CC! :mad:

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Too late for me - I wouldn't buy another CC shock now

Paid £330 for an inline
enjoyed using it - feels really nice, the climb lever is excellent

shock failed after warranty ran out (the usual seal issue)
paid £190 for TFT to fix it
failed again 2 rides later (half way though a £35 uplift day in FoD)
TFT fixed it again (for free this time)
Not wanting the faff of it breaking again I sold it for £130 (2nd hand value is poor thanks to the reliability issues)

2 weeks later they announce that they have redesigned the shock to fix the initial poor design

thanks CC! :mad:

shame, it sounds as though the new internals can be fitted to 1st gen models. even out of warranty (for a cost). CC are offering upgrades for $65usd (not sure on the uk pricing).

Soldato
I think they actually fitted these new internals (purple seal head) on the last attempt, but by then id had enough

so I had:
original seals (failed after a year)
red seals (failed on second ride)
purple seals (sold before trying)

heard horror stories from friends about thousands of warranty returns on complete bikes fitted with the inlines so it was clearly a massive issue for CC

Soldato
Soldato
Soldato

The guard in the link he's talking about doesnt need a hole as it doesnt insert into the bottom of the steerer. It may not fit on the correct way around, as I said earlier, but I dont have any issues with mine on backwards.
...and please dont cut a hole in your fork :(

Associate
Haha I like them :D It's a Grand Canyon CF SLX 9.9 Ltd with 2016 XTR Di2

Thanks for the link, I'll give those a bash!

Light bike for what it is! How do you find it?

Canyon seem to have really hit well with their bikes (even I have one now) but I have 3 mates with them as well.

Would love a sender, but as above, not sure UK will do it justice!

Soldato
Would love a sender, but as above, not sure UK will do it justice!
Again with this... :confused: I dont know where this notion came from, but it seems to have been bandied about since the early 00's.

You are clearly riding the wrong trails, there are so many unofficial riding spots ie not trail centres that are more than sufficient to warrant a DH bike, you just have to do a bit of research and get in with the right riding/build groups.
I definitely dont feel my DH bike is wasted on the UK, probably gets more used and more abuse than my other bike, especially when i head back up scotland way.

Associate
Again with this... :confused: I dont know where this notion came from, but it seems to have been bandied about since the early 00's.

You are clearly riding the wrong trails, there are so many unofficial riding spots ie not trail centres that are more than sufficient to warrant a DH bike, you just have to do a bit of research and get in with the right riding/build groups.
I definitely dont feel my DH bike is wasted on the UK, probably gets more used and more abuse than my other bike, especially when i head back up scotland way.

I've been riding the UK 20 years. Bike tech has progressed a lot in that time. I started DH on a hardtail XC bike, then moved to a GT LTS of all things!

Fair enough Scotland, that's mountains, but most other places you don't need a DH bike. Sure it's great for when you **** up as it'll sort most issues out. But if you're good enough, you shouldn't need it for most stuff unless you're just into hucking off giant things

Where do you ride?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've been riding the UK 20 years. Bike tech has progressed a lot in that time. I started DH on a hardtail XC bike, then moved to a GT LTS of all things!

Fair enough Scotland, that's mountains, but most other places you don't need a DH bike. Sure it's great for when you **** up as it'll sort most issues out. But if you're good enough, you shouldn't need it for most stuff unless you're just into hucking off giant things

Where do you ride?

There is definitely plenty of places in the UK outside of Scotland that a DH bike would be perfect.

Big mountains doesn't mean you need a DH bike, it's all to do with the terrain and course setup rather than elevation. Of course I've never actually ridden a DH bike, so well that could all be nonsense.

Soldato
There is definitely plenty of places in the UK outside of Scotland that a DH bike would be perfect.

Big mountains doesn't mean you need a DH bike, it's all to do with the terrain and course setup rather than elevation.
Abso-*******-lutely!:D

Where do you ride?

As have i mate, I started riding winter 95/96, and have ridden all sorts of bikes in every way shape or form except fat bikes, those i just dont get... Bike tech and most importantly Geometry certainly has progressed, as i said the current crop of AM/Enduro bikes sure are impressive, but despite what the "Industry" trys to make you believe, you cant beat a DH bike for a DH track, you can simply go faster harder higher, I'm not doubting you can make it down to the bottom of pretty much every track in the uk on a trail bike, hell i've done both lift assisted runs on Fort Bill on a Cannondale RZ120 but thats not the point.

As for where I ride, well that depends where i am, most of the time i'm between Scotland/Northeast england, so lots of "Local" trails round the tayside/Angus area, plus Fort bill/Glencoe a few times a year, borders, Hamsterly Descend when i'm down catterick way purely due to convenience.
but due to job i travel a lot, so spend a fair amount of time down salisbury way, try to make a trip to wales at least once a year (Revs/Antur etc).

Soldato
those i just dont get... Bike tech and most importantly Geometry certainly has progressed

Last MTB was 20 years ago. Difference

Hydraulic disc brakes
Clutch rear derailleur
Suspension (only just started coming in, and expensive) plus lock out
Bigger wheels

That's pretty much it, from hardtail.

Back
Top Bottom