Mountain Biking

Soldato
How does glentress compare to BPW?

They're two completely different places really, BPW is only worth it if you're uplifting, but that's only because it is so, so good and you struggle to ride all the trails even in a full day, so pedaling up for a day doesn't even scratch the surface. There's every type of dh trail, and it's getting bigger every year. The only thing it lacks is north shore stuff but that can be a nightmare to maintain. Vicious Valley into Wibbly Wobbly finishing with Deep Navigation is one of my fave trail combos from top to bottom :D

Glentress is my favorite trail centre, there's a bit of everything, smooth bmx runs, technical rocky rooty trails and fairly epic sections on the big black XC. I can spend a weekend there riding the blue and red one day, then the black the next.

Associate
Nooo! :(

I've got the exact same ones to fit! My zees have been perfect too, I was going to put them on the aeris but due to shimano and their stupid fitting systems I can't do it easily.

Hope it gets sorted, are you going to try another set first?

Yea defo. Shimano fixed it with updated internals. I must have got an old batch. Something to do with the lever.

If you turn the brake levers upside down there should be a little silver sticker with 4 letters/digits on it. The bottom 2 letters refer to the year and month of manufacture. The batch that had these issues had the code N (2015).

Shimano have released several new batches since this issue was resolved. I have checked mine and I have the Code OA (2016/Jan) and I haven't had this pumping issue at all.

Might be worth checking on yours?

Associate
I have OA on both of mine, my Front and Rear brakes have similar and consistent bite points but my rear brake is spongey (I can practically touch my grips when pulling the lever).

It just seems strange that your 2016s are worse than your 2015s :/

Associate
Wiggle finally got back. They want the brakes back for testing. God knows how they gonna test em, they need putting on a bike and using, i doubt they'll do that.

Soldato
I'm looking for a new frame as mine is too twitchy and extremely harsh over bumps but due to the age of my current frame I'm finding hard to source a replacement. It needs to be 1 1/8th steerer (not tapered but I could use an different crown race on the headset), quick release so I don't have to buy new wheels as the Mavics I have are almost unused, suitable for 100mm fork without ruining the geometry and screw fit BB. All the frames I'm looking at are either 29/27.5 wheels or are suitable for 120/140mm and up forks.

Don't really want to go second hand just in case it's been crashed too often, any ideas?

Soldato
So the cast has been off for a week now and I've got about 95% movement back but it's still sore if I try and use the final 5%.

I've got a busy weekend of DIY planned but in the coming week I'm going to order a wrist brace and I'm determined to get back out on the bike on the 18th.

Caporegime
So the cast has been off for a week now and I've got about 95% movement back but it's still sore if I try and use the final 5%.

I've got a busy weekend of DIY planned but in the coming week I'm going to order a wrist brace and I'm determined to get back out on the bike on the 18th.

:(

That sucks. Least it's off though, it's so very irritating. I've another two weeks before I have another xray, then hopefully I can get the cast of that day or close enough after! I just want to ride.

Soldato
:(

That sucks. Least it's off though, it's so very irritating. I've another two weeks before I have another xray, then hopefully I can get the cast of that day or close enough after! I just want to ride.

Fingers crossed for your x-ray — I didn't get another after the first one, hopefully that was a good sign the doc was happy with progress.

I'm still going a bit stir-crazy without proper exercise but I think you have to listen to your body. I'm just not confident enough with it at the moment to give it any abuse.

Went out for a quick ride last night, first after my off last weekend. Wrist and collarbone are still sore, PB'd almost every segment though :o

Good work! I hope I'm not too slow when I get back on the trails. I fully expect my confidence to be a bit dented but equally, I don't want to feel like I've taken ten steps backwards.

I read somewhere the other day that if you're not crashing you're not pushing yourself enough; which is all well and good except when you break something and put yourself out of action for two months. I'd rather be a little slower and not have taken that jump but still be riding.

Ske

Ske

Associate
They're two completely different places really, BPW is only worth it if you're uplifting, but that's only because it is so, so good and you struggle to ride all the trails even in a full day, so pedaling up for a day doesn't even scratch the surface.

I only live 10 minutes away from BPW but I haven't once used the uplift service :p I wouldn't fancy driving hours and not using it though. What we usually do is a few runs of the trails at the top and ride back up (you end up about half way down) and then finish on a full run down. Works out quite well.

Caporegime
What's the best time of year to sell a downhill bike do people reckon? I have 2 that the missus and I bought for alps last year but don't use so need to get rid!

Probably coming into summer, or when the DH series starts? At a guess really.

Fingers crossed for your x-ray — I didn't get another after the first one, hopefully that was a good sign the doc was happy with progress.

I'm still going a bit stir-crazy without proper exercise but I think you have to listen to your body. I'm just not confident enough with it at the moment to give it any abuse.

Good work! I hope I'm not too slow when I get back on the trails. I fully expect my confidence to be a bit dented but equally, I don't want to feel like I've taken ten steps backwards.

I read somewhere the other day that if you're not crashing you're not pushing yourself enough; which is all well and good except when you break something and put yourself out of action for two months. I'd rather be a little slower and not have taken that jump but still be riding.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/****-happens-opinion-2017.html

TL:DR - If I'm going to die, I'd rather it be on my bike :D

Oh it seems that word is blocked, it's not that hard to guess though!

Soldato
I've done about 800 miles over winter on my Iroko2 and it's totally shagged. So much so that the jockey wheel bushes are worn! I can't even order those as spare parts! I've ordered some that have a very similar dimension so hoping they're ok. Crashing doesn't help.

Soldato
I've done about 800 miles over winter on my Iroko2 and it's totally shagged. So much so that the jockey wheel bushes are worn! I can't even order those as spare parts! I've ordered some that have a very similar dimension so hoping they're ok. Crashing doesn't help.

BBB and Tacx sell replacement jockey wheels, the stainless steel bearing models are good.

Back
Top Bottom