Mountain Biking

Caporegime
He wasn't complimentary about the XT stuff at all. I dunno if it was just that demo bike, but the SRAM GX groupset on it felt rough as hell. Made me realise how good the SRAM X1 is on my Aeris.

Would a 46T be more forgiving than an 11 speed 10-42T cassette with a 30T chainring? I have that cassette on my Aeris with a 32T chainring, and sometimes I do wish it was a bit easier uphill.

No idea, I've been using SLX for nearly two years. Including wales, morzine, scotland ,cyprus and even the horrible clay in cornwall and the cassette has only just given up the ghost. I've not exactly been nice to it either. I've just upgraded to XT, with a 50T expander, but only because I got the full kit + brakes for £300. Still to be fitted though, so can't give any feedback.

So will give the nearly same ratio as an eagle, except the 10t at the bottom but I doubt I'll run out of power there using a 34t upfront. No doubt the SRAM stuff is much superior, but when your getting a full XT groupset for nearly the price of an eagle cassette it's just too much for me. Mind you if I had the cash, which I suppose I do but I have a few holidays this year, then I would without a doubt.

Plus the Eagle stuff is lighter too, right?

Soldato
No idea, I've been using SLX for nearly two years. Including wales, morzine, scotland ,cyprus and even the horrible clay in cornwall and the cassette has only just given up the ghost. I've not exactly been nice to it either. I've just upgraded to XT, with a 50T expander, but only because I got the full kit + brakes for £300. Still to be fitted though, so can't give any feedback.

So will give the nearly same ratio as an eagle, except the 10t at the bottom but I doubt I'll run out of power there using a 34t upfront. No doubt the SRAM stuff is much superior, but when your getting a full XT groupset for nearly the price of an eagle cassette it's just too much for me. Mind you if I had the cash, which I suppose I do but I have a few holidays this year, then I would without a doubt.

Plus the Eagle stuff is lighter too, right?

The SRAM Eagle stuff is meant to last a lot longer so the theory is that it works out to roughly the same price as a lower-spec groupset because you won't have to replace as many parts over time. Enduro MTB wrote a good review of the Eagle X01 yesterday.

Some of the Eagle stuff is a bit heavier. My SRAM X1 cassette is 315g and the Eagle X01 cassette is 355g. I'm really not bothered about the weight though because I have a few kilograms to lose first myself :)

Associate
I like the look of the eagle but is it really going to last longer than 6-7 xt cassettes? I highly doubt it. Price is crazy. Glad to be gone of all my sram drivetrain and brakes finally! No more gxp, hollowtech 2 all the way ^^

Soldato
So I got my LBS to do some work on the bike while my wrist is recovering.

I asked them to fit the new 50mm stem I ordered, the one Canyon specifically told me I could use my existing faceplate and bolts for…

Turns out the V14 (80mm) uses M4 and the V12 (50mm) uses M5 bolts, the faceplate is also different.

Thanks Canyon, really helpful.

I'm now waiting for them to respond to my email and hopefully send out the bits I need FOC.

Associate
Well my brand new shiney Shimano XT M8000 brakes are duds :( . The biting point changes dramatically. Literally from biting when you pull the lever 1mm to the point where its touching my grip and still no lock. Tried bleeding twice, but not a single air bubble and it changed nothing. From googling its a massive common fault with them and even the big review sites/magazines have picked up on it! How the hell did I miss it. I bought XT as they were supposed to be the go to brake before the M8000, so surely the newer ones should be better! Arrrrgggghhhh. It feels strange but I wish I went to the Sram side, even though the trail 9's I've had have been a ball ache with constant attention, they've never been as dangerous as the M8000 XT's! It would have certainly ruined my day If I were on an uplift, wasted fuel money and uplift pass as to be fair they inspire no confidence and that was riding on paths.

The gears are fantastic though, the shifting is so silky smooth I have to double check by seeing if the chain has moved.

Wiggle have been fantastic throughout helping me though. I'd never go anywhere else, they really do go above and beyond for me so far. They are getting back to me tomorrow with a solution. I'd even take the SLX version over the XT, apparently its only the XT and XTR affected.

heres some links to the dreaded M8000 "Pump"

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/m8000-brake-pumping-up-dh-992878.html
https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?300961-XT-M8000-Brakes-pumping-up-on-descents

MBR review with the problem

http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/disc-brakes-products/shimano-xt-m8000-brake-review

Bike Radar with the problem

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...ems/product/shimano-xt-8000-mtb-brakes-50361/

Single Tracks too:

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/m...ty-the-brand-is-known-for-a-long-term-review/

It's down to me. If I bought Sram/Avid again the Shimano would be fine. I'm just bad luck.

Caporegime
Nooo! :(

I've got the exact same ones to fit! My zees have been perfect too, I was going to put them on the aeris but due to shimano and their stupid fitting systems I can't do it easily.

Hope it gets sorted, are you going to try another set first?

Associate
I've got the full M8000 XT system on my Cube Stereo. Not had too much issue with the brakes thank god!!! I've definitely not had this 'Pumping' Issue. My rear brake is spongey but the bite point has been consistant on all my rides.

Still need to get my bike into the workshop for some serious maintenance in time for going up Troodos on the 22nd :D

Man of Honour
Speaking of brakes, when I went to BPW I'd bled the brakes and had one ride on it in Hamsterley back in August. They still felt brand new. Or maybe it's two rides, and the one I bled them for and put new pads in was Ard Rock.

A weekend of BPW in the wet, and my levers went from being super firm (couple mm before they engaged) to pulling all the way back to the bar (still just worked) on the back, and about halfway on the front.

And not much pads left, compared to new ones.

I've put new pads in, and they're back to being super firm, so shouldn't require another bleed... but why did I use so much pad? They were SRAM Sintered ones... now got organic somethings in, that I got free at Ard Rock... don't expect they'll last that long either.
Admittedly I was maybe dragging the brakes a bit, but mostly wide open enjoying speed when my courage allowed it.... Was proper gritty though, in all the puddles.

My last set lasted about a year (of not riding, haha)

Soldato
My last set of rear pads lasted 50 miles of sand, mud and wet. They were Aztec sintered. The previous Aztec sintered lasted 100 miles of slightly better conditions. I've got Nuke proofs on now, but my rear lever is broken from an off, so it's lasting well!

Associate
Wiggle are farting about with my problematic brakes :( . They sent a silly email asking for a photo. What the hell will a photo show? It only really happens when riding. Literally the brakes are 1 week old. I wish I could just go direct through Shimano.

Back
Top Bottom