Mountain Biking

Soldato
Equally good brakes at half the price. What gives?
I don't agree, in my opinion no other brakes on the market I've used have the same level of modulation/power/adjustability/build quality/parts availability in one package, granted there are some very good brakes out there but each for me lack something, be that horrendous lever feel and lack of spare parts for shimano, unreliability of sram etc etc. So are hope worth the extra(sometimes twice as much) that's debatable, for me they are but I understand why others might be happy with shimano or sram etc.

Soldato
Are dropper posts worth having? I'm thinking it would be a nice weight saving if i sold it and just used a normal post as I have never had one before and not really noticed a need for one.

Also can you adjust the highest height the Rockshox reverb goes to? I didnt get any instructions and can't find an answer online. I have adjusted the speed so its rises slower, but there doesnt seem to be an adjustment for height. Its already in its lowest position in the seat tube. I think its ok, just glad I didnt go for the XL frame.

Soldato
I suppose that depends on your riding, just fitted one to the Crush today, it was the first mandatory purchase, I dont see why anybody would want to compromise the ideal seat position for either climbing or descending by keeping a post in one position all the way through a ride, and its just a pain in the rear to be stopping and raising/lowering the post by hand when required, the dropper was in my opinion (alongside 1x) the best trail riding innovation in recent years, I'd take the minor weight penalty any day, 200-300g?... hardly a game changing weight saving, take a **** before you ride, have one less pie... you get my point! But then i never have cared much for weight saving.

As for limiting max height? No not as far as i'm aware anyway, just got to do as you have done already drop it into the frame lower. You can limit drop height by fitting supplied collar, but max height is determined by rise length 100mm/125mm/150mm etc.

Associate
Dropper posts are an amazing invention and well worth using. Are you suggesting the post in its lower position is still too high and getting in the way? As long as you can easily move your hips about and behind the saddle then it should be ok, I guess a different/smaller saddle might help? Personally I have it set so at its highest position i'm pretty much locked out when sat on the saddle normally - this is too high to peddle on the flat (so normal peddling it's about 7/8th of its total height), but I find that on a climb this extra height enables me to sit on the nose of the saddle (which isn't the most comfortable, but keeps the weight over the rear wheel for grip). Might sound weird, but seems to be working for me atm. Dropped, it's about 4" below my normal peddling height, so enough room for me to move.

If you've previously mentioned about saddle not being comfortable, or pain in the rear-end, then are you sure you have the seat set to the right height/distance for your normal peddling? Assuming you've bought the correct frame size, then it should easily be able to drop out of the way, so are you trying to peddle with the seat too low and possibly rocking around the saddle?

Soldato
It drops down out of the way fine it just sits a tad high in its highest position maybe. When the seat is in the highest position my toes just about touch the ground and theres a slight bend in my knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke, which i think is about right, but I'd have just liked a bit of adjustability in case I need to lower it a bit after I have properly tested it as I haven't really been out on it much due to the weather. I think if i'd have gone for the XL frame it would have been too high, so i'm glad i went for the L frame. The dropper is a 150mm, so i think a 125mm would have been better for this size frame.

I got the same impression about dropper posts as your responses when looking online, so think its a definite keeper then.

Soldato
It drops down out of the way fine it just sits a tad high in its highest position maybe. When the seat is in the highest position my toes just about touch the ground and theres a slight bend in my knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke, which i think is about right, but I'd have just liked a bit of adjustability in case I need to lower it a bit after I have properly tested it as I haven't really been out on it much due to the weather. I think if i'd have gone for the XL frame it would have been too high, so i'm glad i went for the L frame. The dropper is a 150mm, so i think a 125mm would have been better for this size frame
Think you've hit the nail on the head there :) Either drop the post into the frame a tad more or raise it fully and drop slightly whilst riding.

Caporegime
It drops down out of the way fine it just sits a tad high in its highest position maybe. When the seat is in the highest position my toes just about touch the ground and theres a slight bend in my knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke, which i think is about right, but I'd have just liked a bit of adjustability in case I need to lower it a bit after I have properly tested it as I haven't really been out on it much due to the weather. I think if i'd have gone for the XL frame it would have been too high, so i'm glad i went for the L frame. The dropper is a 150mm, so i think a 125mm would have been better for this size frame.

I got the same impression about dropper posts as your responses when looking online, so think its a definite keeper then.

Just lower the dropper post.

I wouldn't own a bike without one now, I've got one on both bikes.

Associate
It drops down out of the way fine it just sits a tad high in its highest position maybe. When the seat is in the highest position my toes just about touch the ground and theres a slight bend in my knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke
dont worry about trying to touch the ground with the dropper raised, that's a pretty useless measurement, you want to set the height to suite the peddles, as you'll either lower the dropper or slide forward off the saddle and straddle the top-tube (as you would a road bike) if you're stationary and need to put a foot on the ground. Just get used to lowering the dropper everytime you come to a stop - makes it easier to get on and off the bike too. If the top height has your leg just bent, then it sounds about right. Don't forget you don't have to use it up or down, in only 2 positions, but you can stop it mid way up the raise to peddle at that height (thus enabling it to raise a little more, which will seem too tall when peddling on the flat, but when you're climbing a decent hill, it can help as you're not sat in the middle of the saddle, but on the nose of it.

If you're new to droppers - I'm not sure how much truth their is, but I try to follow it, just in case. When you store your bike I've been told to always extend the dropper so it's not only easy to wipe/clean the post and top of seal, but I think it also keeps less pressure in the system.

Soldato
I don't agree, in my opinion no other brakes on the market I've used have the same level of modulation/power/adjustability/build quality/parts availability in one package, granted there are some very good brakes out there but each for me lack something, be that horrendous lever feel and lack of spare parts for shimano, unreliability of sram etc etc. So are hope worth the extra(sometimes twice as much) that's debatable, for me they are but I understand why others might be happy with shimano or sram etc.

What he said. I've never ridden anything as nice as my (starting to age a bit now) tech m4. Modulation and power for days. So serviceable. Much support from Hope. Etc. Sure they might be pricey but I bet I'd have been through multiple other sets by now.

Soldato
Out for my first ride today on my new bike. I got myself a Boardman Pro 29'er through the cycle to work scheme, so getting tax relief on it, it worked out at 12 payments of £45'ish. Crikey i only did 5 miles with 500ft elevation (using Strava) around the local park but the legs are burning! I haven't owned a bike for 30yrs since my old Raleigh mountain bike got stolen off the drive when i was 13yrs old. Hoping to get back into it, off to somewhere called Llandegla on Saturday with some mates, apparently its supposed to be good fun..........

Associate
Llandegla is ace, especially to build up some confidence. Yeah, the climb out of the carpark is a little bit of a shock the 1st time you're there, just take it easy and keep plodding away and try not to be giddy and rush it, or you'll be tired when you get to the fun stuff...

Check their Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Oneplanet-Adventure-94413705817/) before you set off. In the last couple weeks their car park and access road has been closed due to snow and the high have knocked down trees, blocking/closing some of the trails.

Soldato
Yeah, I think it was closed a few weeks ago due to snow / trees then fog / trees early last weeks

I was there on Sunday and it was freezing but never seen the car park so busy but as always the trails didn't feel busy or rushed

The only bit closed was big jims and parallel universe (parts of the black run)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it and good advice on three mile climb ^^ :D

Associate
just speaking from experience. can remember the 1st time i went, it was the 1st time for all of us, so we roared up that climb, trying to keep up with a CX bike. Then onto parallel universe and the climb out of that... The only other bit I remember was that steep slightly rocky climb near the end, and swearing as I had little left in the tank by then. So, instead of remembering the good bits, it was only pain, lol... and a nice burger at the end ;)

After about 10 trip from Manc to Llandegla the last time we carried on to Antur Stiniog which is a decent step up in terms of terrain (as highlighted by the need for a full face). Think I'll be back there this year... The only local trail centre (Lee Quarry) is getting ruined by motoX bikes (counted a group of over 12 of them this weekend), so I imagine it'll be more trips to Wales when the weather improves.

Soldato
Remember one year in March going to Llandegla and we were there after dark, making a cuppa before heading down the access road and ranger / key holder came up and said he wouldn't recommend heading down the access road because he came up it sideways in his 4x4. it was bloody cold that night in the back of a campervan! Rode the next morning and it was lovely conditions!

Soldato
Been having all sorts of trouble with the forks on my Bizango (Suntour Raidons) the last couple of months. I don't know much about suspension at all so I may not describe things correctly but basically they are intermittently going firmer if not completely rigid mid-ride. I've had them serviced twice and then a third time with the damper replaced and it keeps going back. First time they lasted one ride, second time I got a few rides and the latest time with a new damper I got even more with some trail centre abuse. But then was 15 miles into a ride yesterday with them having been perfectly squishy up till then I had just flown down a rocky descent and they were almost completely rigid when I stopped at the bottom. There's no pattern to it either once they've "gone". I can take it out of the shed and they'll feel fine some times and not others. Then sometimes I can just pump them a few times and they'll get stiffer (heh). First service was done by an indi, since then I've been to Halfords seeing as a local rider works there (wasted on Halfords but still) and because the bikes from there. They are at a loss with what's going on too.

Not sure if anyone has any ideas?

I was planning to upgrade to a full susser this year anyway but can't really justify it until later in the year. Plus I'd want to keep the hardtail anyway as a backup/winter hack so would be nice if it was actually working.

No one cares but Suntour have requested my forks to have a look at. Hopefully they fix them up under warranty (original issue happened when they were <12 months old although it is now about 15).

Back
Top Bottom