Mountain Biking

Associate
I would absolutely love a new frame/bike but so much had changed mostly in wheel standards.
Seems 26" has disappeared.

since 26" (so last 6 years?) I think there's been:

dropper posts were only just becoming poplar at the end of 26, i think?

complete confusion with wheels:
wheels 26 -> 27.5 -> 29 -> 27.5+ -> fatbikes -> 29 -> mullet
tyres widths have also increased, 26 were usualy about 2-2.2", now most are about 2.4"

generally "trail" bikes have become more aggressive:
frames have become longer and slacker
more suspension - e.g. "trail" bikes now regularly having 150mm
4 pot brakes now almost the norm with Sram Guides v popular
tubeless setup v common with most rims tubeless-ready

along with slacker bikes the cockpit has changed
stems now generally shorter (35-50mm)
bars now generally wider (up to 800mm)
combining brake & shifter mount for same makes

drivetrain
1 x setups now the norm - what was 1x11 being "premium" is now 1x12 (and now 1x13 is being demo'd)
electric shifting now available (as well as electric/remote dropper)

new standards
pressfit BB were common and now DUB is SRAM's standard with their 1x12 Eagle groupset
1 1/8-1.5 tapered steering on most forks
integrated headsets?
handlebars now 35mm dia as well as 31.8
boost axle width change

and now backpacks seem to being dropped for bum-bags ?!?!? Mullet bikes and bum-bags, what's happening with the 80s revival?

Soldato
since 26" (so last 6 years?) I think there's been:

dropper posts were only just becoming poplar at the end of 26, i think?

complete confusion with wheels:
wheels 26 -> 27.5 -> 29 -> 27.5+ -> fatbikes -> 29 -> mullet
tyres widths have also increased, 26 were usualy about 2-2.2", now most are about 2.4"

generally "trail" bikes have become more aggressive:
frames have become longer and slacker
more suspension - e.g. "trail" bikes now regularly having 150mm
4 pot brakes now almost the norm with Sram Guides v popular
tubeless setup v common with most rims tubeless-ready

along with slacker bikes the cockpit has changed
stems now generally shorter (35-50mm)
bars now generally wider (up to 800mm)
combining brake & shifter mount for same makes

drivetrain
1 x setups now the norm - what was 1x11 being "premium" is now 1x12 (and now 1x13 is being demo'd)
electric shifting now available (as well as electric/remote dropper)

new standards
pressfit BB were common and now DUB is SRAM's standard with their 1x12 Eagle groupset
1 1/8-1.5 tapered steering on most forks
integrated headsets?
handlebars now 35mm dia as well as 31.8
boost axle width change

and now backpacks seem to being dropped for bum-bags ?!?!? Mullet bikes and bum-bags, what's happening with the 80s revival?

I have a dropper, SRAM XX1, SRAM/hope combined shifter/brake mounts.

It seems to be mostly the change in wheel specs stopping me just changing my frame and obviously forks would need changing as well. Got lyric rc2dh tapered at the minute.

I'd like something a lot more cross country that can still do the odd bit of aggressive riding.
My Nomad is looking very beaten up now.

Soldato
Well, the go to is Stans, they do the valves, liquid and tape if you need it. You might also want to get the syringe and a tool that you can easily take out the valve core with, and maybe a compressor to get the tyres inflated without breaking a sweat.

Soldato
Soldato
That sounds very "A-Team" tell more :) Like how are you connecting the pump to the bottle, then back to the tyre
I fitted a valve to the lid and a valve to the bottom.
Took the core out of one and connected a pipe from that to the bike tyre valve.
The other valve I connect my pump to.
I put a fold in the hose between the bottle and tyre, pump the bottle up then release the fold in the hose, tyre instantly pops onto the rim and inflates.

Associate
haven't you only just got the bike? ride/enjoy it and don't fret about tubeless yet. If you're not getting the occasional puncture (or snake-bite) then you're arguably not going to benefit. (as you're either not riding rough enough terrain or running low enough pressures to need it). One day, sure, but no need to change everything within 2 mins of getting the bike

Soldato
haven't you only just got the bike? ride/enjoy it and don't fret about tubeless yet. If you're not getting the occasional puncture (or snake-bite) then you're arguably not going to benefit. (as you're either not riding rough enough terrain or running low enough pressures to need it). One day, sure, but no need to change everything within 2 mins of getting the bike
My friends are going out weekly on local trials, paths and 3 of them got punctures this weekend, I'm happy to do it now and not faff with repair kits down the line :(

Associate
Soldato
Can anyone recommend any padded shorts? I keep looking at some cheapies on amazon/ebay but don't want to get stung with poor ones. I'd like some that won't keep riding up/down if possible so any recommendations would be awesome

Back
Top Bottom