Mountain Biking

Soldato
K

The day before my mates accident. Took some time off the editing with it all, but I can say he's doing well and got the go ahead to start putting up vids etc again.

Much more better :cry: Who out of the riders was your friend who have the accident?

Home Baked is definately one of the better parts at Gisburn

Nice top tube :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Much more better :cry: Who out of the riders was your friend who have the accident?

Hahaha! I love when he says it :cry::cry::cry:

The lad who had the accident is the first guy on the intro with the blue and red fork caps, on an old Santa Heckler 6. He came down the day after to hit Gisburn the first time and we only got a couple trails done... We were going to Hully after HomeBaked and hit Leap of Faith on the way when it happened.

Associate
Had an explore down to the local today to check out the recently reopened line and my god its awesome. Berms and tables galore, an absolutely wicked fast berm 'chicken' line round the tabletops and great features to session/learn on due to having great sight lines up and down the trail. Still taking it easy with impacts on my hand so didn't get a proper run on the jump line but yeah, absolutely wicked to have this so close to home. And free!

Soldato
Hahaha! I love when he says it :cry::cry::cry:

The lad who had the accident is the first guy on the intro with the blue and red fork caps, on an old Santa Heckler 6. He came down the day after to hit Gisburn the first time and we only got a couple trails done... We were going to Hully after HomeBaked and hit Leap of Faith on the way when it happened.

Ah I see.

Going Descend on the 25th, not been before but looks good

Soldato
Ah I see.

Going Descend on the 25th, not been before but looks good

In for a blast, Hamsterleys my local. Not done Descend before, but you go past it on the way to the second part of the red loop. Some of it looks pretty gnarly. There's a jump line which is full on professional. Not seen many ride it, there's a... must be easy 35ft road gap that you just cannot mess up. You gonna have a blast, make some videos please!

Those messy cables are setting my OCD off. lol Nice run. Not been Gisburn for ages.

Yeah, new bike, didn't have the tools to shorten em. It's been done now by LBS :)

Soldato
Well, have to say I need to eat my words from the emtb thread a couple of years ago when I said an e-bike wasn’t for me. Just done 2 days in the lakes, 3 loops of Whinlatter Trail Centre and then a slightly extended Borrowdale Bash run.

if it wasn’t for the ebike I’d have given up halfway round the Borrowdale loop, it got me up the hills at a pace with my mates which meant I wasn’t as tired doing the downhills. It’s light enough to move about and we’ll kitted out.

So that means there will be an Orbea Rise joining the stable as soon as I get the Green Commute Initiative sorted at work and the limit removed on the maximum spend.

Soldato
Well, have to say I need to eat my words from the emtb thread a couple of years ago when I said an e-bike wasn’t for me. Just done 2 days in the lakes, 3 loops of Whinlatter Trail Centre and then a slightly extended Borrowdale Bash run.

if it wasn’t for the ebike I’d have given up halfway round the Borrowdale loop, it got me up the hills at a pace with my mates which meant I wasn’t as tired doing the downhills. It’s light enough to move about and we’ll kitted out.

So that means there will be an Orbea Rise joining the stable as soon as I get the Green Commute Initiative sorted at work and the limit removed on the maximum spend.
The lakes is brutal for that, I did a 5 day trip back in May, well over 90 miles and over 13k ft of climbing... Ullswater, borrowdale bash etc.

I wasn't in particularly great shape and really struggled with the push ups on some of the hills, plus I was riding with a couple of retired guys who were whippets up the climbs, and one on an ebike!

I've got a zwift set up now for over winter!!

Soldato
As nice as they are I can't commit over £5k for a bike, not even thinking about £7.5k plus!

It gets to the point where I think hiring a bike every weekend you ride is likely a cheaper option. Like anyone I prefer owning my own bike but if I did the sums I bet hiring makes more financial sense.

Initial Google has this https://rentle.store/bikegarage/product/dwhYELDLK0H7L0ebh2ah

As an example this one £100 for two days. No maintenance to worry about and no vast depreciation either.

I reckon I probably only ride a long epic once a month or so. Everything else I manage on my acoustic bike.

I've got friends with YT decoys and one of them is annoyed at the quality control and fact that it's frozen / locked him out a few times and it creaks like hell.

I'm not rushing to make the jump to ebike yet.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It gets to the point where I think hiring a bike every weekend you ride is likely a cheaper option. Like anyone I prefer owning my own bike but if I did the sums I bet hiring makes more financial sense.

If you only ride 6-8 times a year, which in fairness is probably most people, that'd make financial sense. No faff of cleaning, servicing, etc. Only works if you only ride near hire centres though.

Associate

Yeah that makes sense, completely overlooked the option of hiring a bike if/when tackling large trail centres. Unluckily I live in E.Anglia so have very little in the way of big bike parks or gnar trails that would necessitate a E-bike or particularly capable trail bike.

Soldato
Yeah that makes sense, completely overlooked the option of hiring a bike if/when tackling large trail centres. Unluckily I live in E.Anglia so have very little in the way of big bike parks or gnar trails that would necessitate a E-bike or particularly capable trail bike.

This is similar to me. I live east mids and its flat as anything which means I can only justify an ebike for times when I make trips away. My nearest trail centre is sherwood pines and that's about 45 mins round without an ebike.

Im booked for Innerleithen next month and the golfie climb is a bit hard work but after a day's uplifts the day prior I'll be happy to just slowly climb it once then head home after a descent.

Soldato
As nice as they are I can't commit over £5k for a bike, not even thinking about £7.5k plus!

I couldn't drop £7.5k on a bike without wincing a lot, however using the green commute option I can get it through salary sacrifice which saves 42%, i've got a local bike shop who will do me the Rise inc. Battery pack for £7.1k, but taking the benefit of tax relief it becomes a £4.1k cost to ownership.

I've not been riding as much this year, but usually averaging 1-2 rides a week, however previously i was doing 2 local rides a week with a decent 20 mile/3000+ Ft climb every other week pre-covid. So if i can get back to that level then it seems a good investment to me.

Back
Top Bottom