Mountain Biking

Man of Honour
There's only one thing that might annoy some really and that's the rear QR axle as some prefer thru axle but tbh it's a non issue really. I managed to not break anything doing downhill and came off the bike twice too so it must be up to the task :p

Other than that, everything else is upgrade friendly. The only original parts on mine now are the frame, front wheel hub and the headset bearings. The head tube will take tapered or straight too internally from what I found but I could only find stock at the time of a straight tubed fork upgrade so just got that and things have been fine lol.

Soldato
Back from Descend. Great place to ride with some steep tech tracks. Had a nice crash on my third run but kept riding. Can barely move now though :(

Got some videos but unfortunately no full runs due to friends crashing, going wrong way etc

Man of Honour
Ended up buying a Bolinas Ridge 2 in black.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Not bad! Google must be listening as this video just popped up on my feed just now lol:

Back from Descend. Great place to ride with some steep tech tracks. Had a nice crash on my third run but kept riding. Can barely move now though :(

Got some videos but unfortunately no full runs due to friends crashing, going wrong way etc

Hah yes whenriding with mates in convoy it's hard to get a full run I found when we're all fairly new to downhill so someone slides/crashes each run :p

Associate
Google is always listening lol

Need to get a decent padlock, can anyone recommend one for me? Also do people fit trackers? A quick search brings up ones built into lights.

I think the general rule of consensus is to spend about 10% of the cost of your bike (at minimum) on your lock. Kryptonite are generally well regarded and if you shop about you can get their fuhgettaboutit locks for about £70 or so, or the one down from that is about £50 or so.
Not sure on trackers, i don't have one personally but my bike is insured.

Soldato
Hit the big black drop at Leeds Urban this weekend, woooooh she's a big one lol. Must have been about ~8ft given I landed further down.

It's fine once you get past the mental block saying "you're a ******* mad man for thinking about this".

Man of Honour
From Rogate I realise dthat total commitment is the #1 key. The moment you question yourself on even the smallest drops that's it you're gonna lunch it! I didn't do any black routes that day though lol, yellows and reds only because beginner :p

Soldato
I think the general rule of consensus is to spend about 10% of the cost of your bike (at minimum) on your lock. Kryptonite are generally well regarded and if you shop about you can get their fuhgettaboutit locks for about £70 or so, or the one down from that is about £50 or so.
Not sure on trackers, i don't have one personally but my bike is insured.

Thanks, gonna get one of the Kryptonite ones this week.

Went for a 2.5km ride this morning, bike seems good and I’m not as wobbly as I thought I’d be. :D

Soldato
From Rogate I realise dthat total commitment is the #1 key. The moment you question yourself on even the smallest drops that's it you're gonna lunch it! I didn't do any black routes that day though lol, yellows and reds only because beginner :p

Yep.

Any hesitation, don't do it, you're gonna eat it hard. I completely took my hands off the brakes to do that drop cause if I braked I'd be in hospital right now :cry:

Associate
Hit the big black drop at Leeds Urban this weekend, woooooh she's a big one lol. Must have been about ~8ft given I landed further down.

It's fine once you get past the mental block saying "you're a ******* mad man for thinking about this".
congratz m8. I've only done it once myself, was with a mate who looked at it for a couple seconds and just went for it, so I kinda felt I needed to man up and copy. Everytime I've been since, I've looked at it too long, if only to see how others approach it, and that doubt has set in, so bailed.

Soldato
my perfected method for first go on a gap jump or drop:

1) keep running up to it and stopping to judge the speed
2) eventually you wont stop in time
3) as soon as you "don't stop" your brain realises its going to be fine, but you might crash now because you hesitated and are probably not going fast enough
4) next go is always fine :D

sometimes when the planets align its "don't think about it and send it"

Soldato
my perfected method for first go on a gap jump or drop:

1) keep running up to it and stopping to judge the speed
2) eventually you wont stop in time
3) as soon as you "don't stop" your brain realises its going to be fine, but you might crash now because you hesitated and are probably not going fast enough
4) next go is always fine :D

sometimes when the planets align its "don't think about it and send it"

it very much indeed is "dont think just do" that gets you over most stuff.

Associate
it very much indeed is "dont think just do" that gets you over most stuff.
moons ago I was in a snowboard freestyle park and I remember overhearing a coach say something like "if you've not gone in 5 seconds then just skip it, go around and come back later" - which all completely applies here. Eyeing up an obstacle/feature soon makes you overthink and doubt things which will only get worse the more you size it up, making you tense, nervous (likely to be slower), etc and more likely to fail, fall and hurt yourself... not saying to roar in blindly, but to be aware that once you've had a look, ideally gauged speed from others, then it's worth either doing it, or coming back later, not stood there trying to tell yourself to give it a go...

Back
Top Bottom