Mountain Biking

Soldato
Yeah I think I know which one you're on about, I've seen a vid of a guy land to flat on it and he was shaken lol. Will post pictures from the hospital bed when I **** it up :D

I've done that one to flat, not intentionally I might add! From what I remember you come round a corner, there's a sign that says drop that you dont really notice at speed and a chicken line to the left. Problem is on first run you don't realise its actually a decent sized gap so I slowed down a bit scanned both lines quickly but by the time I new it was a gap I was going too fast to stop and too slow to clear it so I landed to flat on the fire road. Tbh it wasn't too bad but I was on a dh bike.

The second road gap is smaller an pretty easy, just hit it fast and hope for the best :p not much consequence if you case it because you don't really go high.

You could probably spend all day riding Super Swooper and have a great time and tbh it seemed like thats what most people where doing when I went.

Also sorry I haven't replied to your messages yet but I wont be able to make Gisburn on the 23rd. Kids are going to grandparents for the weekend so the misses wants me to spend time with her! :rolleyes: :p

Soldato
So a friend has sent me the info the for Hope PMBA Enduro series next year and I have to say I'm tempted to enter, for the first stage at Gisburn at least. Never done a race or ridden really off-piste so it'd certainly be a challenge but all part of the fun.

do you have a link? Wouldn't mind doing the Gisburn stage

Edit: Nevermind, found it :)

Soldato
I have an older 26er Stumpjumper from 2008. Went out with a couple of mates recently, and they both find I roll much faster than them and it's more efficient to pedal than their modern equivalents. Has everything just become more downhill focused at the expense of rolling speed, or is this going to be down purely to tyres? I had fast rolling Racing Ralphs on. Their tyres I'm not sure what they were, but more general trail usage and more grippy.

Soldato
I have an older 26er Stumpjumper from 2008. Went out with a couple of mates recently, and they both find I roll much faster than them and it's more efficient to pedal than their modern equivalents. Has everything just become more downhill focused at the expense of rolling speed, or is this going to be down purely to tyres? I had fast rolling Racing Ralphs on. Their tyres I'm not sure what they were, but more general trail usage and more grippy.

Must be the tyres or you weigh more than them :D

I have a friend who has a 26er downhill bike, it's heavy as **** compared to my carbon 29er. But when he leads I find myself on the brakes behind him when we're just rolling down.

Soldato
Must be the tyres or you weigh more than them :D

I have a friend who has a 26er downhill bike, it's heavy as **** compared to my carbon 29er. But when he leads I find myself on the brakes behind him when we're just rolling down.

I weigh a couple of stone less. I have noticed with all their modern bikes though that they do seem setup to be better bikes descending, rather than general flat and climbing. Which is fine by the way...not knocking it. I have all my fun on the downs too. :)

Soldato
It will likely be the tyres they can make a massive difference not only in weight but also the compound. My bike came with Maxxis Assegai tyres which are like boat anchors when rolling however the grip level is superb they also weigh 1.2kg each so swapping to tyres that weigh almost half and a less sticky compound makes a very noticeable difference to rolling speed at the expense of grip.

Soldato
Oh nice!

Rampage at 6pm tonight... 3 riders already out due to injury. Some pretty ******' gnarly crashes. Watch them here... Looks like all have ended up with collarbone/shoulder injuries. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rampage-updates-storch-out-zink-bruised-lung-vestavik-crash.html

Brage for the win, his line looks more natural and tech as hell compared to the more groomed runs you get now. Atleast from what we have seen of it, which isn't much tbf

Edit: oh didn't realise Brage was out due to a huge crash :(

Last edited:
Associate
Had a training session this weekend and my first day out at Farmer Johns near Stockport, learnt a load and FJ is mega fun, loads of features and progressive from jumpable rollers to proper road gaps (which I went nowhere near!). 100% getting a membership next time I'm down there, over 5 visits a year and it becomes the cheaper option.

Soldato
Had a training session this weekend and my first day out at Farmer Johns near Stockport, learnt a load and FJ is mega fun, loads of features and progressive from jumpable rollers to proper road gaps (which I went nowhere near!). 100% getting a membership next time I'm down there, over 5 visits a year and it becomes the cheaper option.

Strangely a friend mentioned Farmer John's yesterday then I read this. I am tempted to drive 2hrs to try it out tomorrow. I'll just be by myself. It won't be too intimidating will it?.

Associate
I ended up tidying my house instead! What a crap alternative haha. I'm pondering over going tomorrow instead. How often do you go? Would be up for a meet to show me about the place.
Not this weekend but likely pop down next Saturday or Sunday. It's really progressive so you can build up and avoid any big features (unless you take the big gaps line, but its pretty obvious as it just gets bigger and bigger!)

Back
Top Bottom