Mountain Biking

Unusual for them not to have the rear axle installed and the rear wheel in the frame... was it from Canyon direct?

The mech is not usually attached to the frame to avoid damage in transit. As it'll be a UDH (Universal Derailleur Hanger) based mech, you should just need to attach that to the frame and all will be well as the gears will already be set-up properly.

Have you looked over the Stoic help videos?
The box they sent it in is too short to fit the rear wheel being attached to the frame. I did suggest to customer service that they hadn't sent it in their Bike Guard that I had to pay £19 for, as it just looked like a standard box, but they assured me it was one (it's smaller than the box dimensions on their website, though: hence no possibility of a fitted rear)

The chain is wrapped around the chainstay, and I can't figure out how to get it on the front chain ring without disconnecting it, which I don't have the tool for.

Their videos, and the included instructions, all assume the rear wheel and mech is fitted already.

It was direct from Canyon

It's annoying, but should have it in and out of the bike shop this week, and I didn't have time to play with it this weekend anyway

Last edited:
That's a new one on me, never had that happen in 20-years of riding. And if you did feel the need for Loctite, you would use Purple 222 which allows for slight adjustment afterwards.
blue isn't permanent and doesn't dry instantly.
11nm for mechanical SRAM derailleurs
10-12nm according to their own YouTube guide
25nm for UDH

so in that case a halfords bike toque wrench with sockets would do the job for him https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...lfords-torque-wrench-with-sockets-701767.html
hit 24nm if its UDH then give it a slight tweak with a normal spanner and your at 25 :p

yes it's totally unheard of
One of my old bikes did it slowly over the course of like 6 month the limit screws would start to drift, research suggests it should happen to improperly torqued screws/nuts, with a limit screws there isn't really any torque on it

why take the chance

Last edited:
Grabbed a Fox Proframe RS for £174. Seems a bargain not paying an extra £100+ for a nicer colour.
Should make for a much lighter and comfortable full face than my old Urgo Down-o-matic.

Think it's time to replace my hard tail that I've had for the last 5 years with a full suspension trail bike.

I've narrowed it down to the Canyon Neuron 6 for £1849 or the Polygon Siskiu T8 for £1699.

Specs look very similar for both but I'm tempted by the Canyon due to the DT Swiss Rims, SRAM DB8 brakes over the Tektro on the Polygon and both of those probably contributing to the lower weight of the Canyon.

Annoying thing is Canyon charging £49.99 for delivery and also 18.99 for a box, which makes it £218 more than the Polygon overall.

Anybody with experience of either brand/model?

Think it's time to replace my hard tail that I've had for the last 5 years with a full suspension trail bike.

I've narrowed it down to the Canyon Neuron 6 for £1849 or the Polygon Siskiu T8 for £1699.

Specs look very similar for both but I'm tempted by the Canyon due to the DT Swiss Rims, SRAM DB8 brakes over the Tektro on the Polygon and both of those probably contributing to the lower weight of the Canyon.

Annoying thing is Canyon charging £49.99 for delivery and also 18.99 for a box, which makes it £218 more than the Polygon overall.

I’d say you’re spot on with the analysis there.

It’s mostly samey between the two bikes, the arguably better brakes and the DT Swiss rims are worth that £150 in my opinion and if you do decide to size up on the rotors it’s only an £20 bracket for the fork/frame and SRAM parts are nice and easy to find.

The Canyon I think looks nicer too, plus, it’s a Canyon. (Not that there’s anything wrong with Polygon).

Even with postage I’d still go Canyon.

Last edited:

From my experience with canyon the only thing to be mindful of is a little bit more assembly is sometimes required compared to what they show in the assembly video on canyons website, however the bike should come with a detailed instruction manual and all the tools needed for assembly.

My stoic 3 arrived with both wheels detached and the rear mech and chain hanging loose at the back, despite the videos on canyons site showing it coming attached. It wasn’t a big issue and only took a few extra minutes to get everything setup.

My stoic 3 arrived with both wheels detached and the rear mech and chain hanging loose at the back, despite the videos on canyons site showing it coming attached
That's exactly how my Stoic 3 arrived too!

I'm too stupid to deal with the rear setup, though, but Canyon said they'd reimburse bike shop fees up to £60, so went that route.

Loving the bike, though, after a couple of fairly brief rides.

I’d say you’re spot on with the analysis there.

It’s mostly samey between the two bikes, the arguably better brakes and the DT Swiss rims are worth that £150 in my opinion and if you do decide to size up on the rotors it’s only an £20 bracket for the fork/frame and SRAM parts are nice and easy to find.

The Canyon I think looks nicer too, plus, it’s a Canyon. (Not that there’s anything wrong with Polygon).

Even with postage I’d still go Canyon.

Thanks for the feedback. Always good to use knowledgeable folk on here as a soundboard.

Will probably get that ordered this weekend if I don't see anything better for the budget.

From my experience with canyon the only thing to be mindful of is a little bit more assembly is sometimes required compared to what they show in the assembly video on canyons website, however the bike should come with a detailed instruction manual and all the tools needed for assembly.

My stoic 3 arrived with both wheels detached and the rear mech and chain hanging loose at the back, despite the videos on canyons site showing it coming attached. It wasn’t a big issue and only took a few extra minutes to get everything setup.
Hmmm...

I'd be ok with that, assuming that the gears are all indexed ok.

Thanks for the feedback. Always good to use knowledgeable folk on here as a soundboard.

Will probably get that ordered this weekend if I don't see anything better for the budget.
I don’t know all that much, I’ve just been through these hoops recently and there’s some bits you want to upgrade such as wheels, brakes etc so you may as well start off with something decent to get the most out of your bike to start with. :D

Where did all the helmets go? Is it a bad time to buy or something?

My helmet broke today (older fox flux, buckle at the back broke), so I need something new. Not sure what I want yet, so just looking at "best helmets 2024" from various places and all the top rated stuff seems to be unvailable. It's either out of stock/unavailable or only available in small/ugly colours.

Just looking at what seems to top the list a lot of the time. Fox speedrace pro, out of stock everywhere except in small or the ugly colours. Giro Manifest, out of stock everywhere except S sizing. Same for the others I liked the look of/are in my price range.

Will probably end up getting giro fixture mips ii as that gets decent enough reviews, is cheapish, and actually available and to be fair, is probably more than good enough for what I do, but where did everything go?, it would be nice to have a choice.

Last edited:
Anyone looking for a cheap EMTB? 3699 with discount code
shimano motor though

No delivery till June week 4 but seems like a really good deal

Last edited:
I love normal bikes and E bikes I have both but does anyone else feel like ebikes are going to be in the majority in the next few years? Even the likes of GMBN seem to do a lot of their content on ebikes now despite having the sister EMBN channel.

I love normal bikes and E bikes I have both but does anyone else feel like ebikes are going to be in the majority in the next few years? Even the likes of GMBN seem to do a lot of their content on ebikes now despite having the sister EMBN channel.
Gmbn are a paid advertisement basically, you can't really trust anything they push or say.
E-bikes for sure will be a big part of cycling, but I doubt it will be the majority.

It's entertaining though. I do miss doddys tech stuff
Yes he was a big part of why I watch it. Don't watch as much these days, once you've watched it for a year it just all gets repeated.
They don't do enough of the epic day out type things anymore. Actually find myself watching GCN for the training stuff more these days.
I've ridden with Blake when he attended the Nukeproof Scout day out at Llandegla.
It's just annoying them being told what bikes to ride, rather than then riding bikes they would choose if it was their own money.

I enjoy Berm Peak and Jeff Kendall Weed more these days.

Last edited:
It's just annoying them being told what bikes to ride, rather than then riding bikes they would choose if it was their own money.
EMBN channel had loads of 10,000-14,000 pound bikes on almost daily when I stopped watching it.

most the viewers will be spending 6000 max

So like an absolute tool that I am, I missed out on the sale price of the Canyon Neuron 6 as I thought the sale went on for another day :o

So I've narrowed it down to two alternatives.

The Merida One-Forty 500 which can be had for £1867 with the voucher code or the Boardman MTR 9.0 for £1800.

I love the look of the Merida but that Boardman has a superior spec (SLX all round as opposed to the Merida with a bit of Deore and bit of KMC and Raceface).

Anyone have any experience with the forks or even the bikes?

Last edited:
Did Snowdon at 2am this morning, forgot how brutal the push up is still managed it in 2 hours.
Rangers path down was good fun, Telegraph Valley was fast.
Weather at the top was horrendous, sideways drizzle, storm force -4 wind.

Back
Top Bottom