Mountain Biking

Associate
So like an absolute tool that I am, I missed out on the sale price of the Canyon Neuron 6 as I thought the sale went on for another day :o

So I've narrowed it down to two alternatives.

The Merida One-Forty 500 which can be had for £1867 with the voucher code or the Boardman MTR 9.0 for £1800.

I love the look of the Merida but that Boardman has a superior spec (SLX all round as opposed to the Merida with a bit of Deore and bit of KMC and Raceface).

Anyone have any experience with the forks or even the bikes?
I’d say go with the Merida. Nicer looking geometry and Personally find that fork great as I have it on my Giant as an upgrade from Giants own brand Crest fork.
Also I wouldn’t trust Halfords to build a bike properly.
I’ve had a fair few bikes from Tredz and never had a problem with them.

Soldato
Another eye opening few rides and I found myself needing a full face. I went with the POC Otocon Race MIPs as it was an absolute bargain at £150 delivered direct from POC.

Has anyone had any experience with this helmet? I’ll still be using my Tactic 4 for most of what I do, it’s just for when I’m out and fancy being an idiot. Any recommends on some goggles too? There’s only so much my Oakley Sunnies managed to keep out.

Soldato
So like an absolute tool that I am, I missed out on the sale price of the Canyon Neuron 6 as I thought the sale went on for another day :o

So I've narrowed it down to two alternatives.

The Merida One-Forty 500 which can be had for £1867 with the voucher code or the Boardman MTR 9.0 for £1800.

I love the look of the Merida but that Boardman has a superior spec (SLX all round as opposed to the Merida with a bit of Deore and bit of KMC and Raceface).

Anyone have any experience with the forks or even the bikes?
Why not go 2nd hand? For that money you can get more bike per £.

Soldato
I thought about that but I'd be nervous about previous history. My bike mechanic skills are basic and knowing my luck I'd end buying something that had an underlying issue that I failed to spot

Soldato
Actually, think I may have bagged a bargain.

An independent bike shop online was selling a Giant Trance 29 2 for £1300, so I made no hesitation and ordered it last night.

Was on my shortlist but I ruled it out as it was priced around £1925 and the fact other bikes were better specced for that price point. At £1300 it's a no brainer.

130mm Marzocchi Z2 Fork, 120mm Fox Float DPS Performance shock and Shimano Deore groupset. Only negative I suppose is the Tektro 4 piston brakes but they'll be fine to begin as I get used to the bike and the type of riding I'll be doing. Can always replace them easily enough at a later date with a Deore or SLX set.

Soldato
Actually, think I may have bagged a bargain.

An independent bike shop online was selling a Giant Trance 29 2 for £1300, so I made no hesitation and ordered it last night.

Was on my shortlist but I ruled it out as it was priced around £1925 and the fact other bikes were better specced for that price point. At £1300 it's a no brainer.

130mm Marzocchi Z2 Fork, 120mm Fox Float DPS Performance shock and Shimano Deore groupset. Only negative I suppose is the Tektro 4 piston brakes but they'll be fine to begin as I get used to the bike and the type of riding I'll be doing. Can always replace them easily enough at a later date with a Deore or SLX set.
A good find then! Should do you good for a good while! Keep an eye out for some 4piston Deore's, mine have been great!

Soldato
Sorry posting this on both sides, but keep an eye out for my Scott please! or any of the other bikes.

Woke up this morning and saw my garage door was open and unfortunately what you all think has happened has happened and i've had my bikes nicked overnight. Looks like they've forced their way in through the window and then taken the bikes over my back fence.

I thought I'd had 6 taken, but when I went round to see neighbours in the close behind 2 had been left behind, one of which had no pedals and one had no chain as both were being rebuilt for sale. They'd left my newer Boardman on the bike stand which was getting a new bottom bracket today...

So please keep your eyes peeled on your local groups for any of these, the Felt as far as i'm aware was never sold over here in that colour scheme.

Felt FR1 - Rotor 3d Crankset, Dura-Ace Di2 rear derailleur, Ultegra front mech, Ultegra Shifters, Ultegra front brake. Low Mass 50mm wheels with DT Swiss 350 Hubs, some rub to the drive side seat stay and around the bottom bracket drive side from chain drop.

XPhRMRl.jpeg

Scott Spark RC Team - Rockshox Dropper Post - missing the headset plastic shroud.

sIZbzM9.jpeg

Canyon Inflite CF SL - GRX Di2 Shifters, GRX Rear Mech, Quarq cranks 170mm and power meter.

vqi8fFB.jpeg

Canyon Inflite CF SLX - Ultegra Di2 Shifters, GRX rear mech, Sram RED cranks 170mm, 130BCD - rare and Quarq power meter.

ccHl1Y4.jpeg

Soldato
A good find then! Should do you good for a good while! Keep an eye out for some 4piston Deore's, mine have been great!
£150 looks to be around cost for levers, calipers, hoses and discs, so not bad.

To be fair, the type of places I currently ride or will be riding won't be requiring that level of stopping power and am sure the Tektro's will be fine but as I progress the brakes will be the first thing to be upgraded.

Soldato
Sorry posting this on both sides, but keep an eye out for my Scott please! or any of the other bikes.

Woke up this morning and saw my garage door was open and unfortunately what you all think has happened has happened and i've had my bikes nicked overnight. Looks like they've forced their way in through the window and then taken the bikes over my back fence.

I thought I'd had 6 taken, but when I went round to see neighbours in the close behind 2 had been left behind, one of which had no pedals and one had no chain as both were being rebuilt for sale. They'd left my newer Boardman on the bike stand which was getting a new bottom bracket today...

So please keep your eyes peeled on your local groups for any of these, the Felt as far as i'm aware was never sold over here in that colour sch
Absolute scum.

Imagine these will end up on Facebook market place?

I've got a bike advertised on Gumtree so will keep my eyes peeled on there.

Soldato
So please keep your eyes peeled on your local groups for any of these, the Felt as far as i'm aware was never sold over here in that colour scheme.
Felt FR1 - Rotor 3d Crankset, Dura-Ace Di2 rear derailleur, Ultegra front mech, Ultegra Shifters, Ultegra front brake. Low Mass 50mm wheels with DT Swiss 350 Hubs, some rub to the drive side seat stay and around the bottom bracket drive side from chain drop.
Feel for you pal :( That Scott however is gorgeous!

Anyone doing Ard Rock this year?

Last edited:
Associate

XPhRMRl.jpeg

Scott Spark RC Team - Rockshox Dropper Post - missing the headset plastic shroud.

sIZbzM9.jpeg

Canyon Inflite CF SL - GRX Di2 Shifters, GRX Rear Mech, Quarq cranks 170mm and power meter.

vqi8fFB.jpeg

Canyon Inflite CF SLX - Ultegra Di2 Shifters, GRX rear mech, Sram RED cranks 170mm, 130BCD - rare and Quarq power meter.

ccHl1Y4.jpeg
Sorry to hear that mate.

Soldato
Those of you with experience of Air and Coil shocks, is there much difference for normal people.
Thinking of getting one partly just to try and partly because it should be better for Bikeparks where there won't be much pedaling.

Soldato
I’ve just been in to Evans….

I got a pair of Butchers from them for my bike (tyres) and I have side wall cracking on them both when they’re only a handful of weeks old. Zero interest, fobbed off about it really.

Deflated I Went to Specialized Durham and gave them a look. They’re more than happy to get them sent off to see if they can be replaced as it’s not use that’s the issue, more likely an issue with the time sat before use. In the interim I got more tyre sealant and a pair of DH walled Specialized Cannibals which are the Gravity versions so stronger walls and with more grip for £70 instead of around £120? Absolutely sound guys there.

Soldato
My bike came with a butcher and eliminator and I had 2 punctures within 80 miles (one self sealed) the specialized trail casings seem a good bit weaker than the maxxis/schwalbe equivalents imho

Soldato
My bike came with a butcher and eliminator and I had 2 punctures within 80 miles (one self sealed) the specialized trail casings seem a good bit weaker than the maxxis/schwalbe equivalents imho
Punctures are an issue, that’s just fate guiding the tyre over something nasty. Mind you, I’d be pretty bummed out if I got a puncture regardless of how many miles I’d have done.

My issue is that I’ve not even had time to puncture these, nor even wear off any of the little rubber hairs and the condition resembles that of a tyre that’s been though multiple seasons over multiple years not a few weeks sat about with a couple of proper runs out.

I was on the fence about getting more Specialized tyres but had a mooch over the bikes in store, some of which had been on display over a year and they were all fine so I’m hoping it’s a one off. The Cannibals are Gravity walled rather than trail so hopefully that makes all the difference. Plus, it could have cost around £170 to get a pair of maxxis tyres with sealant which i really wasn’t in the mood for.

I’ll fin out how much of a Headache I’ll have once fitted after the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom