Mountain Biking

Bought myself a new Hardtail, for when the 160mm e-bike and full suspension is too much. I need to stop buying bikes, that's 9 we have in total now.

Merida Big Trail 400
A basic spec - Deore all round, 140mm air fork, dropper post and some funky tube shapes

53801176217_5b04eb6cf3_b.jpg

Bought myself a new Hardtail, for when the 160mm e-bike and full suspension is too much. I need to stop buying bikes, that's 9 we have in total now.

Merida Big Trail 400
A basic spec - Deore all round, 140mm air fork, dropper post and some funky tube shapes

53801176217_5b04eb6cf3_b.jpg
9?! I've got 3 and feel it's one too many. Do most of them just sit there gathering dust?

Had another front wheel washout at Llandegla yesterday in corner.
No idea if it's me not weighting the front enough or the Nobby Nic SpeedGrip on the front, both times it's happend it's been these tyres.
Might stick my Magic Mary Soft back on the front and accept they're a bit more draggy.

Llandegla Wednesday afternoon/evening I think. Got to go at least once a year.

We went a couple of weeks back - my first time back there in over 13 years.
Was a bit disappointed TBH - The first Red & Black sections were closed and the diversion was a large, smooth, wide double track down hill :(

The remaining parts were okay but not what I remember - we reached the end and I was like : is that it :p We did a 2nd lap and it didn't make it any better.

Last edited:
9?! I've got 3 and feel it's one too many. Do most of them just sit there gathering dust?
To clarify - that's 9 bikes in the family.
My wife's 2008 Specialized Myka hasn't been used since 2009 :p The rest all get used - my least used bike is my 2011 Spesh Allez, as I also have a Spesh Sirrus, which seems the better option for general street riding.

Last edited:
We went a couple of weeks back - my first time back there in over 13 years.
Was a bit disappointed TBH - The first Red & Black sections were closed and the diversion was a large, smooth, wide double track down hill :(

The remaining parts were okay but not what I remember - we reached the end and I was like : is that it :p We did a 2nd lap and it didn't make it any better.
The lad I went with is local knows all the short cuts to miss out the boring bits, really good loop.

Had another front wheel washout at Llandegla yesterday in corner.
No idea if it's me not weighting the front enough or the Nobby Nic SpeedGrip on the front, both times it's happend it's been these tyres.
Might stick my Magic Mary Soft back on the front and accept they're a bit more draggy.

Most likely technique.

It's worth getting someone to film you when riding. You probably think you are lower than you are. Most of my crashes were due to front wheel washing out until I had some lessons and they videoed my technique. I was too upright most of the time and after some tweaking I felt 10 times better on my bike.

Best money you can spend is on some coaching. Tyres won't fix bad technique.

Most likely technique.

It's worth getting someone to film you when riding. You probably think you are lower than you are. Most of my crashes were due to front wheel washing out until I had some lessons and they videoed my technique. I was too upright most of the time and after some tweaking I felt 10 times better on my bike.

Best money you can spend is on some coaching. Tyres won't fix bad technique.
Probably right, don't really need coaching. I've done it all in the past, it was one of those times where I did "one last run" probably wasn't leaning enough or leaned but weight not over the BB.

Last edited:
Ah gutted, I hope you get seen to soon. How did the crash happen?

Ended up being in the hospital for about 4 hours in total so not too bad I guess. When I got the xray results back it turns out I've fracture my shoulder blade also.
Crashed OTB on a dh trail but landed shoulder first where there's a short incline so pretty much stopped dead rather than rolling through.

Ended up being in the hospital for about 4 hours in total so not too bad I guess. When I got the xray results back it turns out I've fracture my shoulder blade also.
Crashed OTB on a dh trail but landed shoulder first where there's a short incline so pretty much stopped dead rather than rolling through.
Ouch! Out of action for a good few weeks then. Going to do some casual riding in the interim?

Back
Top Bottom